Montana Maps

Djanes

Montana Maps

Post by Djanes » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:54 pm

I will be in Montana for September and part of October. I was wondering what maps show private and public land. Not just for hunting but also for hiking. We are renting a house outside of Bozeman and I know grouse and partridge are in season then and in the area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Djanes

Re: Montana Maps

Post by Djanes » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:56 pm

Also if anyone has any good recomendation for guides or outfitters in the region.
Thanks again

mask

Post by mask » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:56 am

I would recommend the bma maps for the area you are going to hunt. A Montana atlas & gazetteer will be a help and blm maps as well. I don't know about the guides. I would not waste my money on the Wing shooters guide to Montana it was totally useless and full of misinformation. If you would like some info on the areas we hunt shoot me a pm.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:13 pm

contact Montana fish and wildlife... let them know the regions your going to hunt in and they will mail you maps of block management and other public and private properties that are available to hunt. The many times I've call MFW they have been more than helpful getting me maps and other information. Montana fish and wildlife is probably the best department that I've been in contact with....wish I could say this about fish and wildlife department in my state.

Triggerman

Post by Triggerman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:23 pm

The Montana FWP hunt planner map website is my go to source before heading out the door. Switching the map to satellite view and adding bma and upland bird conservation projects layers gives you a starting point for the lay of the land. There are a couple pheasant preserves within an hour of Bozeman, I don't know much about any outfitters.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:27 pm

If you have an Astro the OnX chips are nice. Also shows landowners.

Montana

Post by Montana » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:55 am

Yes, if you have a GPS there is a chip available for Montana that shows all landownership... For private land it shows the landowner's name and often times their address and phone number.... The one I have also shows block mgt. areas.. Most everyone around here who hunts has one these days... They leave no doubt as to where you are, whose land you are on, etc....

Djanes

Post by Djanes » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:11 pm

Just wanted to say thank you for all your info

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:40 pm

BLM has 1:100000 scale maps that show contour, ownership and road and trails. They are available from the Montana state office in Billings or district offices around the state. Here is the Montana BLM website http://www.blm.gov/mt/st/en.html