needing a collar

s223196

needing a collar

Post by s223196 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:54 pm

7 month old GSP female doing good in the house, except if we have company, but having trouble with come in the yard. Really need to buy a collar but I am hesitant about using one. Would a cheap collar be enough or should I spend the extra cash? Any pointers?

llewellinsetter

Re: needing a collar

Post by llewellinsetter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:27 pm

You should be a little more specific with your question, I'm guessing you mean an e collar by the nature of your question. if you are thing of getting one i like dogtra a lot, i also like tri tronics also. you should get yourself a good e collar training video, and take your time and be patient.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:51 pm

Dogtra hands down. That what I use and works great and 100% water prof not water resistant. 0-127 to fine tune

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:04 pm

I use a Dogtra 2500 B/T (locator feature and training feature). Always been happy with it.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:04 pm

the command "come" or "here" in the yard is an easy fix and you don't need an e-collar for it.

Two checkcords on the dog and a partner. Each person holding a checkcord end and the dog in the middle.

One person gives the command(ONE time) in a terse, brisk manner "DOG NAME... COME" if the dog does not INSTANTLY start toward that person, they reel the dog in.... calmly, firmly and deliberately. When the dog is right in front, paying attention that person reaches down and gives the dog a pat on the flank and a "good dog". After a moment or so, the other person issues the command in the exact same way..."DOG NAME...COME". Once again if the dog does not instantly turn and start toward the person who called...reel the dog in...not harshly, but firmly, calmly and deliberately.

I start this drill with young puppies and I use treats to start off with. You might want to start off that way also. it is also important to remain silent except for issuing the commands. If you are talking, the dog my tend to turn off the talking,. if you are silent, the dog will pay attention to you when you speak, even in a relatively soft voice. If the dog is paying attention to you, waiting for you to say something, you are already halfway there... and since you have the dog's attention, there is no need to be loud.

The drill has to be repeated until the dog is going briskly, if not running, from handler to handler. Often I will have to hold the dog back, because it will try to anticipate the command. That I do not want. They go when I SAY ... not before.

Then, you go to one handler and one checkcord. If the dog does not obey instantly, you can pop the checkcord under the dog's chin and then reel it in. That light checkcord pop really gets their attention. Then you progress to one handler and a trailing checkcord and finally to no checkcord. If, anywhere during the progression the dog fails to respond instantly to a single command...you back up and do repetitions until it does.

I personally do not use an e-collar on a dog to enforce a command...unless that dog knows that command and what is expected of them, absolutely and unquestionably. And that takes a lot of repetition. To me, an e-collar is a very long checkcord... no more. I use the e-collar VERY sparingly on my dogs. If I find I need the collar too often, that means that I rushed though the hands on training and the dog does not fully understand what it is I want it to do... soooo, we back up... and go back to the hands on training until the dog shows me that it understands what it is I am trying to get across, by executing the command or drill correctly.

It is NEVER the dog's fault. It is ALWAYS a failure of the trainer to properly teach the lesson. If you operate on that premise, you will be much more successful as a trainer. Bird dogs have been bred for the last couple hundred years to want to work with us and for us. Most of the time, we just need to show them what we want them to do.

The inside the house stuff I can't help you with. My dogs are all kept outside.

If you want to buy an e-collar, think about how you hunt and where. Buy a collar whose stated range is at least two to three times the normal range you want your dog to hunt at. E-collars work by line of sight and the stated range is determined in flat, level open country. If there are hills, valleys, or cover, the range of the unit is reduced.

Patience, persistence and kind insistence will get you where you want to be with your dog. Remember...it is still a puppy. It may be 3/4 grown but its brain is still that of a puppy, so a healthy sense of humor will also serve you and your family well.

RayG

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: ...

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:26 am

RayGubernat wrote:the command "come" or "here" in the yard is an easy fix and you don't need an e-collar for it.

Two checkcords on the dog and a partner. Each person holding a checkcord end and the dog in the middle.

One person gives the command(ONE time) in a terse, brisk manner "DOG NAME... COME" if the dog does not INSTANTLY start toward that person, they reel the dog in.... calmly, firmly and deliberately. When the dog is right in front, paying attention that person reaches down and gives the dog a pat on the flank and a "good dog". After a moment or so, the other person issues the command in the exact same way..."DOG NAME...COME". Once again if the dog does not instantly turn and start toward the person who called...reel the dog in...not harshly, but firmly, calmly and deliberately.

I start this drill with young puppies and I use treats to start off with. You might want to start off that way also. it is also important to remain silent except for issuing the commands. If you are talking, the dog my tend to turn off the talking,. if you are silent, the dog will pay attention to you when you speak, even in a relatively soft voice. If the dog is paying attention to you, waiting for you to say something, you are already halfway there... and since you have the dog's attention, there is no need to be loud.

The drill has to be repeated until the dog is going briskly, if not running, from handler to handler. Often I will have to hold the dog back, because it will try to anticipate the command. That I do not want. They go when I SAY ... not before.

Then, you go to one handler and one checkcord. If the dog does not obey instantly, you can pop the checkcord under the dog's chin and then reel it in. That light checkcord pop really gets their attention. Then you progress to one handler and a trailing checkcord and finally to no checkcord. If, anywhere during the progression the dog fails to respond instantly to a single command...you back up and do repetitions until it does.

I personally do not use an e-collar on a dog to enforce a command...unless that dog knows that command and what is expected of them, absolutely and unquestionably. And that takes a lot of repetition. To me, an e-collar is a very long checkcord... no more. I use the e-collar VERY sparingly on my dogs. If I find I need the collar too often, that means that I rushed though the hands on training and the dog does not fully understand what it is I want it to do... soooo, we back up... and go back to the hands on training until the dog shows me that it understands what it is I am trying to get across, by executing the command or drill correctly.

It is NEVER the dog's fault. It is ALWAYS a failure of the trainer to properly teach the lesson. If you operate on that premise, you will be much more successful as a trainer. Bird dogs have been bred for the last couple hundred years to want to work with us and for us. Most of the time, we just need to show them what we want them to do.

The inside the house stuff I can't help you with. My dogs are all kept outside.

If you want to buy an e-collar, think about how you hunt and where. Buy a collar whose stated range is at least two to three times the normal range you want your dog to hunt at. E-collars work by line of sight and the stated range is determined in flat, level open country. If there are hills, valleys, or cover, the range of the unit is reduced.

Patience, persistence and kind insistence will get you where you want to be with your dog. Remember...it is still a puppy. It may be 3/4 grown but its brain is still that of a puppy, so a healthy sense of humor will also serve you and your family well.

RayG
Can't be explained better than that.