NAVHDA Annual Meeting. I was there!

chiendog

NAVHDA Annual Meeting. I was there!

Post by chiendog » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Who goes to Sioux Falls, South Dakota for a weekend in January? Crazy dog people like me, that's who! The North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association held its annual meeting in Sioux Falls this past weekend and it was a blast!! Not only did I get to meet a ton of great people and talk dogs over fine food and adult beverages, I was given the tremendous honour of delivering the keynote address!

Yes, you read that right. Me, a guy who might hold the record for the lowest passing score ever in a NAVHDA test was given a microphone and a soapbox in a room filled with the who's who of the NAVHDA world. Click the link below to find out how it went.

http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2016 ... rocks.html

NEhomer

Re: NAVHDA Annual Meeting. I was there!

Post by NEhomer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:58 am

Great stuff! Thanks Craig.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:26 am

Was a fascinating talk.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:25 pm

Now that was great! :)

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:10 am

Well done on the talk you gave Craig. Even in my lifetime I have seen the gundog world change pretty much as you describe. I was only persuaded to get a computer about 12-14 years ago and it has been a bit of a mixed blessing. Gundog forums etc. are terrific sources of information but for newcomers to gundogs "processing" all that information is I.M.O. a daunting and bewildering task ......basically there are too many "experts !"

When someone asks on a forum about what they should do with their new puppy they will be told by one camp to train the control first while the other camp of experts tells the questioner to let the pup run free and "just be a puppy." Both "camps" are in their own way correct but that doesn't help the poor beginner trainer very much !

That type of question often ends up with the experts arguing like crazy with each other about things way beyond the requirements of the O.P. and maybe beyond the O.P.'s understanding too.

In the last few years I have seen a couple of once really good gundog forums in Britain collapse in on themselves. I'm told this is mainly due to things like Facebook ? Personally I don't like Facebook but it seems to suit a great number of other once keen Gundog forum users.
As I am a bit of a dinosaur it is unlikely that I will move onto Facebook but it does seem to be the likely future for many of us ?

Bill T.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:03 am

Trekmoor wrote:Well done on the talk you gave Craig. Even in my lifetime I have seen the gundog world change pretty much as you describe. I was only persuaded to get a computer about 12-14 years ago and it has been a bit of a mixed blessing. Gundog forums etc. are terrific sources of information but for newcomers to gundogs "processing" all that information is I.M.O. a daunting and bewildering task ......basically there are too many "experts !"

When someone asks on a forum about what they should do with their new puppy they will be told by one camp to train the control first while the other camp of experts tells the questioner to let the pup run free and "just be a puppy." Both "camps" are in their own way correct but that doesn't help the poor beginner trainer very much !

That type of question often ends up with the experts arguing like crazy with each other about things way beyond the requirements of the O.P. and maybe beyond the O.P.'s understanding too.

In the last few years I have seen a couple of once really good gundog forums in Britain collapse in on themselves. I'm told this is mainly due to things like Facebook ? Personally I don't like Facebook but it seems to suit a great number of other once keen Gundog forum users.
As I am a bit of a dinosaur it is unlikely that I will move onto Facebook but it does seem to be the likely future for many of us ?

Bill T.
I agree with your thinking Bill. And Facebook has replaced the forums as a place for the pros to talk with their customers and potential customers. I have tried to head this forum into a path that provides basic info to newcomers and not as much of a meeting place for the professional since I don't think we can compete in that arena, much to the disdain of a few of our long time participants. But it seems to be working as our membership and people on the forum at any given time continues to expand. One difference I do see is we do not always have as many member on line all of the time but it unusual to not have 50 guest reading.

I also see the competiveness that you expressed amongst the experienced which is understandable in any endeavor where there is more than one way to do something. But it is distracting and confusing to many when it develops unto a shouting match just because some can't accept there is another way. And what seems odd to me it is the experienced that know there are other ways that often are the worse offenders along with the few that have had one or two dogs, who honestly do not understand and can not accept that their method is not the only correct way to perform.

Ezzy