New to Gun Dogs and new to site

Chisau

New to Gun Dogs and new to site

Post by Chisau » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:44 am

Hello!

New guy in Charlotte NC (aka: land of few birds!)

I just found this site (along with a few others) while attempting to learn all I can about Upland hunting and hunting over a dog. Thank you for having me and I hope to add value in some way to this community as I learn and grow.

I've been an avid Deer hunter all my life (though would never say I was great at it!) I've also dabbled in small game (fur), Turkey, and even had a small trap line when I was a youngster in upstate NY on my family farm.

I've always had a desire to learn and get into upland bird hunting. My Dad, when I was a very young child, used to raise Pheasant to be released in NY. He always spoke of how sad it was to see the bird population dwindle like it did and he regretted never being able to teach me how to hunt them.

I've also always had a strong desire to hunt over a dog of my own, but have been very intimidated at the prospect of "ruining" a good dog out of my ignorance and inexperience.

I'm happy to say that I am finally taking the plunge after 44 years!

After extensive research and investigation, I have selected a local breeder of GWP's and have put a deposit down on an upcoming Pup in a litter that will be born in a couple of weeks. The breeder also trains dogs (though mainly obedience and early hunt training only) and she is going to help me get started.

I also want to get myself and the dog formally trained and have even set a day aside in early March to go on a preserve hunt with a nice Gentleman (Rocky at Rock Haven Farms, Cherryville NC) that will show me the ropes (over his dogs)

My plan is to work closely with Rocky over the next year and more to fully train the dog as well as myself in the basics.

**In this regard, at what age would the board suggest to start formal Hunt training (I plan to work hard on obedience, socializing, intro to birds, and gun noise through year one)?

My only big regret is my location. I hate that its nearly impossible to find birds in the wild and I am constantly looking for creative options that can get us out in the field but not on a preserve. I did see that going after woodcock in Jan/Feb will be an option on gamelands near here, so thats a start!

Sorry for the longwindedness! As you can tell, I am very excited for this grand adventure! I cant wait to learn from you all and if I can ever be of assistance in any way to you, please dont hesitate to ask!

Don (Chisau)

(I also signed up on UJ and Vdogs.com under the same handle, I apologize for duplication)
Last edited by Chisau on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NEhomer

Re: New to Gun Dogs and new to site

Post by NEhomer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:52 pm

Welcome Don and welcome to the world Rocky!

This is a terrific website and folks will be glad to help you out. I'm just over in Western MA and have fished in Pulaski for the past 30 years. Here's a thread I started early on when I joined last year about first year expectations and there was a lot of good advice.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=48725

My Llewellin setter is just over a year and has completed a wonderful first season. He's a real joy to hunt with. He's just nuts about birds and hunts hard start to finish. Very staunch and stylish and I'm thrilled with him. I missed upland hunting for a few years with an older lame dog and life circumstances that prevented me from getting a pup and it really made me aware of how bird hunting is at my very core.

My early work was simple bonding....which I overdid if that's possible...he won't let me leave the room and just HAS to be with dad constantly. It's very endearing but also annoying! Lol. So work on bonding with him and recall...it must always be fun to come back to you and yet, you don't want to hack him around. He won't use it right away but before long, my strong advice to you is to save up for a Garmin Alpha 100 and TT15 collar bundle. It will give you peace of mind and Rocky compete freedom to explore. What you will want before too long is a check cord to safely control him in the field.

So good luck and be sure to post a pic of that sweet new puppy when you get him~

Chisau

Post by Chisau » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:05 pm

NEhomer wrote:Welcome Don and welcome to the world Rocky!

This is a terrific website and folks will be glad to help you out. I'm just over in Western MA and have fished in Pulaski for the past 30 years. Here's a thread I started early on when I joined last year about first year expectations and there was a lot of good advice.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=48725

My Llewellin setter is just over a year and has completed a wonderful first season. He's a real joy to hunt with. He's just nuts about birds and hunts hard start to finish. Very staunch and stylish and I'm thrilled with him. I missed upland hunting for a few years with an older lame dog and life circumstances that prevented me from getting a pup and it really made me aware of how bird hunting is at my very core.

My early work was simple bonding....which I overdid if that's possible...he won't let me leave the room and just HAS to be with dad constantly. It's very endearing but also annoying! Lol. So work on bonding with him and recall...it must always be fun to come back to you and yet, you don't want to hack him around. He won't use it right away but before long, my strong advice to you is to save up for a Garmin Alpha 100 and TT15 collar bundle. It will give you peace of mind and Rocky compete freedom to explore. What you will want before too long is a check cord to safely control him in the field.

So good luck and be sure to post a pic of that sweet new puppy when you get him~

Thanks for the sage advice and link! LOL, it looks like I need to REALLY start saving up my Money!! Its really nice of you to comment and offer great advice!

I do need to apologize for something though. I think I mis-communicated. The trainer at Rock Haven Farms name is Rocky (rather than the dog), LOL, I suck at this web thingy!

We are leaning towards the name Arlo for the pup!

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:34 pm

welcome .you are on the right track sounds like you got some good help and you will learn a lot as far as birds go you should have some great ruffed grouse hunting up there they are by far my faverite bird to hunt let us know how it comes along

Chisau

Post by Chisau » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:13 am

setterpoint wrote:welcome .you are on the right track sounds like you got some good help and you will learn a lot as far as birds go you should have some great ruffed grouse hunting up there they are by far my favorite bird to hunt let us know how it comes along

Thanks Setter! I think the only grouse near us though is up in the western NC mts and even there its a bit light from what I gather. I've pretty much learned that if I want quail, Pheasant or Chukar then I will likely need to use a preserve or go out west. I did hear that woodcock and snipe are around in jan/feb on gamelands so I will likely try that as well.

Since I'm attempting to go with a Versatile breed, i also am interested in blood tracking for bow shot deer and even shed hunts in the spring (just to keep the dog active and in the field more)

No idea if my plans are realistic or not, but its sure fun to fantasize!

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:39 pm

Congrats on your upcoming pup! You may want to look into NAVHDA, North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association. Most chapters have at least 1 training day a month and they help you train your dog. Here is the website where you can learn more http://www.navhda.org/
There are 2 chapters in North Carolina, here is the link to the Chapter Locator page http://www.navhda.us/chapterinfo.aspx

Chisau

Post by Chisau » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:21 pm

High Voltage wrote:Congrats on your upcoming pup! You may want to look into NAVHDA, North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association. Most chapters have at least 1 training day a month and they help you train your dog. Here is the website where you can learn more http://www.navhda.org/
There are 2 chapters in North Carolina, here is the link to the Chapter Locator page http://www.navhda.us/chapterinfo.aspx

I will definitely do that! I had read some about a local chapter and actually forgot about it before you reminded me. Thanks!

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:19 am

some how i got you were in ny i read your post again an see your in nc.you might have to make a trip out of town to find good hunting mayby there are some quail hunting near you. a good preserve is better than nothing

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:31 am

You may also look up Nstra.org for like minded people in your area. There is a SC chapter and a west NC chapter. May find someone to mentor you in your area. Nstra competition closely resembles hunting but do not enter till your dog is broke and steady.

Chisau

Post by Chisau » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:55 am

oldbeek wrote:You may also look up Nstra.org for like minded people in your area. There is a SC chapter and a west NC chapter. May find someone to mentor you in your area. Nstra competition closely resembles hunting but do not enter till your dog is broke and steady.
That's one I hadn't heard of yet. I definitely will look into NSTRA, sounds like a potential option.