New GSP pup questions

FrankRizzo

New GSP pup questions

Post by FrankRizzo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:14 pm

Thank you in advance. A little about me. I'm just a regular pheasant hunter. I go out almost every weekend of the season here in MN and spend 10 days every year in SD. I have some private land that I hunt here in MN but hunt a lot of Public land. My favorite time to hunt is after things have froze up and I can hunt cattails. Plus I seem to have no hunting competition which is nice. During the off season my dogs are in a kennel when I'm at work and out running around the yard (I live in the country with an underground fence covering 5 acres). At night my dog lays in the porch on his bed. My original GSP came from Granite falls MN area. I put her down last winter at age 16, but she didn't hunt for about the last 2 years. I have a GSP male from the Little Falls area and he is 11. He hasn't showed much sign of slowing down but I'm dreading the day as we all know it is coming. Back when I purchased these dogs money was a factor. I think I paid $300 for the first one and $250 for the second one. Now money isn't much of a factor in purchasing a new pup. I've been lurking around this site for about a week now and have talked to some reputable breeders (I think). However the more people I talk to the more confused I get. Forget about junior, senior, or master hunter blood lines they don't mean anything get field trial dogs and vise versa. Stay away from Von something they are meant to chase coons, coyotes, etc in the past and aren't as family friendly as I have younger kids. I'm hoping some of you can help clear things up and I don't start any wars. I have read on here that some breeders hate guys like me who ask about color but for me it is a factor as I can't stand the mouse color ticked dogs it's just my own personal opinion and if I'm going to be paying a $1000 for a pup I believe I should be able to be a bit picky as he and I are going to be together for years to come. Please feel free to ask me any other questions and I'm Sure I'll have more questions for you.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: New GSP pup questions

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:50 pm

A location would help us to suggest a good breeder . IMO you have received some bad advice. A GSP with a MH title has shown it can be what you want as a pheasant hunting dog. A big running FT titled dog MAY not be what you want, but many owners of good FT dogs also hunt on foot with their dog working closer. A good dog hunts for the hunter.

Just lost my 13 year old last Dec and her daughter is 10. I'm in the same thinking boat as you. :)

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:33 pm

West Central MN, but I don't mind going for a drive with the family as we have relatives all over the state except SE MN.

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:46 pm

TTT. Thanks for some of the messages and phone conversation. Very helpful information.

Jogan

Post by Jogan » Thu May 26, 2016 1:49 pm

I would be grateful for any guidance myself. I am looking for a GSP. I live in North Texas. I am willing to drive 500 mi. or so to find a good hunting/family member.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue May 31, 2016 5:25 pm

I don't know much about Shorthair lines, but picking for looks isn't dumb, I don't want to look at an ugly dog.

Do you want a bigger running dog? That's really the biggest question I don't see an answer too.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 31, 2016 6:24 pm

If I lived where you do , I'd be looking at Blue Dawn Kennels. Well bred, healthy dogs and good advice available. ... not just big running field trial dogs.

https://www.bluedawnkennels.com/

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:42 am

Another suggestion is Willow Creek Kennels near Little Falls. Chad has some good dogs there. I've shot over some running in master hunt tests and I'd hunt over those dogs any day.

Jogan

Post by Jogan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:19 pm

Thank you Sharon. I have talked to Mr. Prince. Thank you for the recommendation.

As far as Willow Creek and Chad. He was one of the first kennels I found. I enjoy his training videos of Honker and other dogs. However is in MN and I am in TX. I think he is out of my reach for me. As much I like his program, he is to far away.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:43 pm

FrankRizzo wrote:Thank you in advance. A little about me. I'm just a regular pheasant hunter. I go out almost every weekend of the season here in MN and spend 10 days every year in SD. I have some private land that I hunt here in MN but hunt a lot of Public land. My favorite time to hunt is after things have froze up and I can hunt cattails. Plus I seem to have no hunting competition which is nice. During the off season my dogs are in a kennel when I'm at work and out running around the yard (I live in the country with an underground fence covering 5 acres). At night my dog lays in the porch on his bed. My original GSP came from Granite falls MN area. I put her down last winter at age 16, but she didn't hunt for about the last 2 years. I have a GSP male from the Little Falls area and he is 11. He hasn't showed much sign of slowing down but I'm dreading the day as we all know it is coming. Back when I purchased these dogs money was a factor. I think I paid $300 for the first one and $250 for the second one. Now money isn't much of a factor in purchasing a new pup. I've been lurking around this site for about a week now and have talked to some reputable breeders (I think). However the more people I talk to the more confused I get. Forget about junior, senior, or master hunter blood lines they don't mean anything get field trial dogs and vise versa. Stay away from Von something they are meant to chase coons, coyotes, etc in the past and aren't as family friendly as I have younger kids. I'm hoping some of you can help clear things up and I don't start any wars. I have read on here that some breeders hate guys like me who ask about color but for me it is a factor as I can't stand the mouse color ticked dogs it's just my own personal opinion and if I'm going to be paying a $1000 for a pup I believe I should be able to be a bit picky as he and I are going to be together for years to come. Please feel free to ask me any other questions and I'm Sure I'll have more questions for you.
Frank Rizzo?!!! You should be looking for SANDLEWOOD F'en colored!

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:04 pm

Sundance, Friedelsheim, Northwaters, Willow Creek, Grouse point
None of those are really FT type dogs
Mouse colored?

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:10 am

NEhomer wrote:
FrankRizzo wrote:Thank you in advance. A little about me. I'm just a regular pheasant hunter. I go out almost every weekend of the season here in MN and spend 10 days every year in SD. I have some private land that I hunt here in MN but hunt a lot of Public land. My favorite time to hunt is after things have froze up and I can hunt cattails. Plus I seem to have no hunting competition which is nice. During the off season my dogs are in a kennel when I'm at work and out running around the yard (I live in the country with an underground fence covering 5 acres). At night my dog lays in the porch on his bed. My original GSP came from Granite falls MN area. I put her down last winter at age 16, but she didn't hunt for about the last 2 years. I have a GSP male from the Little Falls area and he is 11. He hasn't showed much sign of slowing down but I'm dreading the day as we all know it is coming. Back when I purchased these dogs money was a factor. I think I paid $300 for the first one and $250 for the second one. Now money isn't much of a factor in purchasing a new pup. I've been lurking around this site for about a week now and have talked to some reputable breeders (I think). However the more people I talk to the more confused I get. Forget about junior, senior, or master hunter blood lines they don't mean anything get field trial dogs and vise versa. Stay away from Von something they are meant to chase coons, coyotes, etc in the past and aren't as family friendly as I have younger kids. I'm hoping some of you can help clear things up and I don't start any wars. I have read on here that some breeders hate guys like me who ask about color but for me it is a factor as I can't stand the mouse color ticked dogs it's just my own personal opinion and if I'm going to be paying a $1000 for a pup I believe I should be able to be a bit picky as he and I are going to be together for years to come. Please feel free to ask me any other questions and I'm Sure I'll have more questions for you.
Frank Rizzo?!!! You should be looking for SANDLEWOOD F'en colored!
Funniest thing ever written on this forum. Well played NEHomer!

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:09 am

Marzolf X GSP just south of Sioux Falls. Frey's Short hairs, NE SD. Sharpshooter Kennels, New Richmond WI.

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:45 am

greg jacobs wrote:Sundance, Friedelsheim, Northwaters, Willow Creek, Grouse point
None of those are really FT type dogs
Mouse colored?
Thanks for the input. I know mouse colored isn't the correct term but it was something my mom always called them and it stuck. But it would be the one pictured in your avitar that gray color like a field mouse and the one pictured in Southwind's avatar would be white ticked in my book. I'm sure both are great dogs and no ill will intended but they are just not anything I would ever want. We did find a breeder currently doing FT's and hunt tests with what look to be great bloodlines and are just waiting for the right color. I would also like to thank cjhills and the hour of his time he gave me on the phone. What a plethora of information.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:19 pm

Jogan wrote:Thank you Sharon. I have talked to Mr. Prince. Thank you for the recommendation.

Hope it works out there. I had a GSP out of BMK's "Call to Glory". It was the best GSP I ever had.
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBK

Post by DBK » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:49 pm

Dankar Kennels in Gleason, WI just had a litter. 5 males and 3 females, but don't know what's available.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:31 pm

rsz_20160417_112229-1-1.jpg
Not offended. Have both colors
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:13 pm

Might want to look at Charlie Rose, he has some nice Shorthairs! and he's in Texas.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:15 am

Wildrose germanshorthaired pointers.
His website is never updated so you have to contact him.
If I remember right he has Rusty back in his dogs.

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:23 pm

have you thought about a longhaired pointer? great family dog hunt hard do well in cold weather! has the style of a setter with the drive of a hard running GSP.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:12 am

greg jacobs wrote:Wildrose germanshorthaired pointers.
His website is never updated so you have to contact him.
If I remember right he has Rusty back in his dogs.
guaranteed you will get a dog that can hunt. Most of his dogs are insane retrievers as well.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:30 pm

Also look up High Country Shorthairs on Facebook. Will has dogs that will hunt.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:41 pm

Jogan wrote:Thank you Sharon. I have talked to Mr. Prince. Thank you for the recommendation.

As far as Willow Creek and Chad. He was one of the first kennels I found. I enjoy his training videos of Honker and other dogs. However is in MN and I am in TX. I think he is out of my reach for me. As much I like his program, he is to far away.
That was for the OP.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:55 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:

That was for the OP.
Did I miss something. I understood the OP to say he found a breeder and is waiting for the right color.
If not I have a litter due in two weeks, might have a female pup left.
Incidentally, just wondered when and where you gunned over the Willow Creek dogs. Chad has only finished one Master dog in the last six or seven years, that was Honker, one of his trainers handled him away from Willow Creek. He ran Drummer last year and this year in the tests at his kennel. He passed all four at home. He may have passed at the Shorthair and Brittney four test weekend. If so he is finished. I trained with Drummer a lot. Nice dog. Honker is his best Dog all around............Cj