Brittany Puppy

stewartkaye2

Brittany Puppy

Post by stewartkaye2 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi all,
I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section I am new to the forum. I have a 4 month old brittany puppy who so far, has proven to be quite intelligent. Inside the house she will up, stay, whoa, come, and kennel quickly when given the command. I have a fenced in backyard she romps around in and she will come when commanded to in the backyard as well. However, occasionally she will get out of the front door or I will set her down in the driveway and she takes off, running down the road. I will call her to come but she acts as if she can't hear me when I know she can. Is there something I need to do to correct this? Please let me know! Having a dog come when called is a must for me . Thanks

Stewart

mnaj_springer

Re: Brittany Puppy

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:30 pm

She's acting like a puppy. Just continue with obedience in a few different locations to help her generalize.

And then it's on you to keep her in safe places until she's reliable.

deseeker

Re: Brittany Puppy

Post by deseeker » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:43 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:She's acting like a puppy. Just continue with obedience in a few different locations to help her generalize.

And then it's on you to keep her in safe places until she's reliable.
X2 train here in 10 or 12 different places that are safe--right now the only places she thinks she needs to obey you is in your house and in your back yard. When you train in new places have a check cord on her, and if she doesn't come when called reel her in and show her she has to come. Once you get her to you praise her and tell her what a good pup she is. Work on your other commands in different places as well.