Force breaking thoughts

mnaj_springer

Force breaking thoughts

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:44 pm

I'm not sure if there is much point in posting this beyond sharing my experience, but maybe others can relate and share their stories.

As an amateur trainer I am force fetching, force breaking, training the conditioned retrieve, whatever you want to call it, my young pointer right now. I thoroughly enjoy the process, not because of the force part, but because I enjoy learning more about my dogs. How they respond to pressure, how much pressure do they need, how much praise do they need, what's their learning curve like, etc. And on top of all that, when those break through moments occur, I couldn't be more proud of my dog.

I hope other amateurs who try FF can see this and be encouraged, plus, if any others add some general tips, there may be a whole lot less dogs ruined. Personally, I would tell people that well timed praise is just as important as applying force, and if you don't have patience that day, skip your training session until you do.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Force breaking thoughts

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:16 pm

There are two main problems have with FF. One is not wanting to hurt the dog so they don't apply enough pressure.

Second, they LOSE their temper and apply too much pressure. The sweet spot is right in the middle.

You have to use enough to pressure to get the job done. It IS FORCE FETCH and it's called that for a reason.

mnaj_springer

Re: Force breaking thoughts

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:45 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:There are two main problems have with FF. One is not wanting to hurt the dog so they don't apply enough pressure.

Second, they LOSE their temper and apply too much pressure. The sweet spot is right in the middle.

You have to use enough to pressure to get the job done. It IS FORCE FETCH and it's called that for a reason.
I know exactly what you mean. Good point.