Dew claw protection

Trutta

Dew claw protection

Post by Trutta » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:30 pm

Was curious to see what you guys use, or what product on the market works best!
Thanks!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Dew claw protection

Post by DonF » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:38 pm

I don't recall ever having a dog with dew claws. They are removed at 3-5 days.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:39 pm

Remove by vet before they are 5 days old--you don't have to worry about them getting caught or ripped off

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:54 pm

Coyotes don't use any protection, why should your dog need it?

Trutta

Post by Trutta » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:12 pm

Cool, then no worries, thanks guys!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Trutta wrote:Was curious to see what you guys use, or what product on the market works best!
Thanks!
If your dog has dewclaws, the very best thing you can do for the dog is to keep those dewclaws trimmed and smoothed over. I use a scissor type cutter if I am in a hurry , but prefer a dremel type grinder with an emery wheel for the best, closest, smoothest job. I have used guillotine cutters in the past and prefer the scissor type.

RayG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:49 pm

Different opinions on the need for dew claws. My dogs keep their claws , and I've had no problems. I do keep that nail very short.

"A dog’s front dewclaw has several functions, minor though they may be, including balance and stability when dogs are in movement over uneven terrain or making landfall after swimming or having fallen through the ice. . The front dewclaw gives a dog some assistance and control in the normal course of grooming, particularly when dogs are cleaning their heads and faces. You may even notice your dog making good use of it when she’s gnawing with satisfaction upon her favorite chew toy." quote

http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/dogs-dewclaws-dew-claw

Trutta

Post by Trutta » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:36 am

Thanks guys this is our first time dealing with dew claws, our rescue pointer came with a set, someone had mentioned wrapping them so they dont get injured so I thought I would ask.

pistolero17

Post by pistolero17 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:07 am

I've had dogs with and without dew claws. Not sure I noticed a difference between their athletic abilities, but I never had a problem with them getting caught on anything or damaged. Like mentioned above use a dremel and keep them short. I cut my dogs nails once every week or week and a half. Dew claws I noticed grow slower for some reason and only need a light touch up every time I cut nails. Here is some info on why some people think they should be kept on. http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5 ... nation.pdf

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:21 am

I have run dogs with dewclaws for years and the one and only time I ever had a problem...I had neglected to trim the dog's dewclaws and they were very long and pointed.

I would not wrap the dewclaws, simply because it won't work all that well and might actually CAUSE injury. The action of the leg moving will cause the dewclaw to go forward and back. This will either saw through any bandaging or get hung up on it. Taping or wrapping will also tend to remove hair from the leg area exposing the rest of the leg to injury.

RayG

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:29 pm

I have run dogs with, and without, dewclaws. We never had any injuries or problem because of dew claws. I used to worry about this stuff - a long time ago. No longer.