Growling

minigooch

Growling

Post by minigooch » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Hello All. I have a 2 yo intact GSP that I raised from 8 weeks. Lately he has been growling at my 12 yo son if my son approaches him while he is eating.He hasn't curled his lip but definitely a low growl. I have scolded him, took his food away , crated him,had my son feed him but it hasn't stopped.I had trouble putting weight on him until about 6 months ago and switched his food (30/20) and he has filled out good. He has always ate fast,like someone was going to take his dish away which we have never done until now.He is 70 lbs and eats 2 1/4 cups twice a day. I have been having my son exclusively feed him for the past few days and , stand next to him walk away and walk back if he growls (which he usually does) tell him no, make him sit , pick up and put down food ect. Any advice to whether what I'm doing is right or wrong or what next step should be is appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Growling

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:10 pm

You're doing it right imo.
Is that the only time the dog growls ?
If yes , I would just leave the dog be when he eats. I choose my battles.

reba

Post by reba » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:11 pm

Have your son feed the dog and just leave the area.

IMO most dogs tend to growl around their food bowel.

I would not do the take the food away trick and give it back stunt. I think it is just teasing the dog and the reaction might be terrible.

Quickest way to start a dog fight is for a dog to approach another's food.

I bet my dogs can eat faster than yours :D

Best wishes

minigooch

Post by minigooch » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks maybe I'm thinking its a bigger problem than it really is.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:29 pm

My old dog that has passed started growling at times, after he was through a bad situation with a trainer. At first I pulled him up sort to correct, but that only made it worse ( increased frequency). The next tactic was to ignore it. That worked :)
Now, if he had made ANY attempt to put his dog teeth on people skin, he would have met Jesus. But it never got anywhere near that far.

I think some dogs at around that age start muscling around because of hormones, too. Once the hormones settle, the dog does, too. But snapping and biting, hormones or not, is totally unacceptable at our house.

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:29 pm

I wouldn't trust a dog that growls at my kid, if I couldn't fix it he would quickly become an outdoor hunting only dog. I would continue to have your son be the one that feeds him, try to change feeding in different rooms as well. Also, have your kid whoa the dog then have him fill the bowl and have him release him to eat. I wouldn't do anymore of taking it away from him, that will provoke the behavior. Incorporate different family members in the obedience training as well. Basically, the dog needs to learn its place on the chain and if not corrected you could have more issues. All my opinion but hopefully you find some of it helpfull.

minigooch

Post by minigooch » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks for the replies. I should also say that I have not had any behavioral problems with my dog he is affectionate and well behaved in and out of the house. My son continues to feed him but not doing the pick up put down thing. He has never nipped or snapped because I believe he knows his place. We do release command him to eat and all participate in obedience training to a degree. Jagermiester , I always have fed him in the same room, and wonder why you say switch feeding areas, but I think I know where your going. Reba it is the only time he growls except the usual like when someone knocks at the door and I'll take your bet !

Spotshooter

Post by Spotshooter » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:39 am

One thing to try, have your son feed him by hand ....don't put the food down at all, and put the food in a coat pocket and feed it by hand....

It might be more about the dog under stand the kid is giving him food vs. he has to fight to keep it.

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:53 pm

Minigooch, I think moving the around will help prevent him from being as territorial with the food. It may do nothing but won't hurt to try. Also, maybe see if Cesar Milan has anything on the internet about this. He seems to have a good program for correcting behavior for house dogs.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:56 pm

i hate to say it but you said the dog has not yet bitten your son. so you think it could happen.i think you should get help from a trainer that has delt with this befor dot let this behaver go the dog may never bite dont wait and see get the help and correct this soon as you can

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:00 pm

If your son is the only one he is growling at, keep your son away at feeding time. Or, have your son feed him and leave. Two years old is the age (terrible two's) that dog's develop problems. If he starts growling at anyone else, then take action. For now, let the dog eat in peace, which I ALWAYS do and see what develops. Pick your battles and this is one I would choose not to pursue unless it worsens.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:02 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:If your son is the only one he is growling at, keep your son away at feeding time. Or, have your son feed him and leave. Two years old is the age (terrible two's) that dog's develop problems. If he starts growling at anyone else, then take action. For now, let the dog eat in peace, which I ALWAYS do and see what develops. Pick your battles and this is one I would choose not to pursue unless it worsens.
I totally agree with this, along with Sharon's comment. You may be perceiving a problem where there is none. JMO

Charlie