Vizsla Eye Issues

Waterfowler21

Vizsla Eye Issues

Post by Waterfowler21 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi All,
The past few weeks I've noticed my V's eye has looked irritated. She is also losing hair around it most likely from her scratching at it. We've been noticing a brownish discharge near the corner as well. Is this something to take her to the vet for? From reading online the discharge isn't abnormal or threatening since it is not green or yellow. As of now we haven't seen anything stuck in there either. Have any of you seen or heard of something like this? Allergies? Infection? Pics attached, FYI the eye in question is her right eye(left in pics) thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Vizsla Eye Issues

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:20 pm

You're choice whether to go to the vet or not. personally I don't fool around with eyes. A rinse with a weak solution of salt water might be a good idea.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:00 pm

i would go to the vet my dog had a ulcer in his eye he give me some salve to put in it and told me to get some art..tear for dry eyes he is doing much better now

zrp

Post by zrp » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:33 pm

Bring it in to the clinic. Both eyes may be allergic but one eye is a problem.

ECO

Post by ECO » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:46 pm

Have had a few minor eye irritations with my Vizsla as well. Regular saline eye drops can do wonders if the eyes are dry and just a little irritated. Have also had to deal with the brownish discharge like you describe and it ended up being enlarged follicles on the eyelids (likely caused by irritation from minor trauma), a round of topical steroids did the trick. Ultimately a visit to the vet is probably your best bet but some saline drops in the interim shouldn't hurt anything.

Waterfowler21

Post by Waterfowler21 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks for the replies yep he gave us some saline drops and we shall see how those work on her over the next few weeks. The hard part now is getting her to sit still while we put the drops in!