Releasing only one sex from JH to ensure Recall

hi-tailyn

Releasing only one sex from JH to ensure Recall

Post by hi-tailyn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Releasing only one sex of Quail or Chuckar from JH to ensure Recall back to JH.

I have had better success releasing Cocks Quail only. Leaving the Hens confined to the JH.

Has anyone had similar success with Quail?

Has anyone had any success with Chuckars by releasing only one of the sexes? Does one sex or the other recall better?

Any suggestions for the summer when wild birds are starting to nest. Is there a way to recall a higher number of birds each time?

Thought that using younger birds but would still need to be old enough for pups to not be able to catch.

marc

Re: Releasing only one sex from JH to ensure Recall

Post by marc » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:30 am

I release my quail by opening the top door and letting several fly out, without controlling the sex. As long as the birds have been in there for several days, they all usually come back. That may because of the cold season, and food is plentiful in the JH though. Birds that are released shortly after being introduced to the JH sometimes do not return. Also, birds that are flushed several times, and wind up 1/2 mile away from the JH usually don't either. There are exceptions.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:34 pm

I release the hen's and keep the cock. The cock's are the noisy ones. I think.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:29 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:I release the hen's and keep the cock. The cock's are the noisy ones. I think.
I agree--The cocks seem to do more calling & I have better luck getting them back when I just put hens out. JMO

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:39 pm

deseeker wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:I release the hen's and keep the cock. The cock's are the noisy ones. I think.
I agree--The cocks seem to do more calling & I have better luck getting them back when I just put hens out. JMO
Ditto

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:03 am

Any experience with chuckars releasing one sex and not the other? I know it is more difficult to tell which sex with chuckars.

I have electric callers in each JH to recall birds. Would that make any difference with one sex recalling more then another.

My thought, which may be completely way off base is releasing the hens, the hens will stay out during the spring/summer time and hook up with wild birds or just have the desire to nest while out in the grass fields. The cocks will go to where ever the hens are.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Fri May 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Most of the year you can release either sex and they should recall as long as more are in house than out. But in the spring with adult birds they will pair off and disappear on you. I have best results only releasing males in the spring, they will return to the females and you have less chance of hurting them since they don't have an egg inside of them.