Backyard birds

pooch897

Backyard birds

Post by pooch897 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:50 pm

My Brittany is 10 months old now. With the weather being a lot nicer here he's spends a lot more time in the back yard. Well the robins, doves and other birds are driving me and him nuts. He will be stuck in a point and "hunting" them constantly. He wants out all the time now and doesn't want to come back in. Is this normal? Should I be concerned or just happy with his bird drive?

deseeker

Re: Backyard birds

Post by deseeker » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:35 pm

It's normal. I'd be concerned if he didn't pay attention to birds. He will figure out which birds to hunt after you start shooting pheasants, quail, etc. for him. He'll quit paying attention to the ones you don't shoot as he matures. So unless you shoot robins during hunting season :roll: , he'll forget about them after you hunt him a year :D

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:14 pm

Enjoy your pup! I was out with a Brittany this week. We released a pigeon and the dog watched the bird for about 5 seconds. That is what you don't want. We dumped a bird for my dog and the shooter missed it 3 times. My pup watched that bird long after I could no longer see it. That is what you want.

reba

Post by reba » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:02 am

Sounds OK

You do not want your dog chasing and barking at tweety birds. If this happens STOP it ASAP.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:38 am

The more attention my pups pay to tweety birds the better. I have a 12 year old that stops at the door everytime you turn him out to make sure there are no birds in sight. If there are he stops and points. Take him hunting and he never sees a tweety bird. Dogs do know the difference once you have shown them what you are wanting but all dogs need something to keep them busy in their down time. I had one dog that would chase the bird shadows when they flew across the yard.

I don't see as a problem but it is a good indicator the pup is interested in birds and hunting. Just another way for them to entertain themselves.

JMO

Ezzy

SCT

Post by SCT » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:29 pm

My puppies chase every bird in sight and even chase an occasional airplane;-)

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:48 pm

SCT wrote:My puppies chase every bird in sight and even chase an occasional airplane;-)
:roll: :D :lol: :mrgreen: