Sportdog GPS system

Wa Chukar Hunter

Sportdog GPS system

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:31 pm

Anyone use it and if so how do you like it?

ckfowler

Re: Sportdog GPS system

Post by ckfowler » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:13 am

I have a Tek1 and love it. Simple to switch from tracking to training, has gone swimming several times.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:56 am

I had a Tek 1.0 for a few years. Never had any issues or complaints.

I did make the switch to a Garmin and a separate ecollar, but that was because my needs and goals changed, not any issues with the SportDog.

BtheBrit

Post by BtheBrit » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:08 pm

I have the TEK 1.0 track only and am happy.

Sportdog also has great customer service (replaced my Shock collar remote at no charge).

drcrabbs

Post by drcrabbs » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:56 pm

I have a couple of friends using the Tek 1 with satisfactory results. I have been using a Tek 2 for about a year and find it to be a great improvement over the Tek 1 - easier to navigate and way easier to read the screen in bright light.

I used a Garmin 220 and 320 prior to the Tek 2. I like the Tek 2 much better - it up dates faster, the compass is a lot easier to calibrate, it loses contact with the collars less frequently and picks them back up quicker, I find the screen easier to see in bright light, the preloaded map base is a really handy tool to see what the dog is doing and really I like the track visible on the screen with a direction arrow on the end of it. The voice feature is actually loud enough that I can hear it (even with my poor hearing) but I find it an annoyance and keep it turned off.

I use it as a tracking collar in conjunction with a TriTronics Pro 200. I just don't like switching screens to go from train to track, but to be honest I haven't really given that part of the system a real chance - just am too used to the Tritronics.

I have found Sport Dogs customer service far superior to Garmin's - you actually get to speak with a representative that knows how the product works and can help trouble shoot if necessary.

My only issue has been battery life on the re-chargeable receiver battery and bought a spare battery to solve the issue. Part of the issue can be solved by holding the on/off button down long enough for it to shut down completely - if you don't, it will not completely shut down and will run the battery down. If you get stuck in this partial shut down situation, you can't start it or finish the shut down without removing the battery. The frustrating thing about this issue (other than a dead battery) is that is not readily recognizable other than a faint "shadow" image of the shut down screen.

Another caution - after charging the receiver you need to manually shut it off or it stays on and will run the battery down.

Dean

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:15 am

I had one, went bad in less than a month, they replaced it right away. Sent the new one and same thing happened, they replaced it. Got the third and it happened again. The thing couldn't get the dog anywhere near where the dog actually ended up being, off at one point 180*. Sent it back to Gun Dog Supply and they were going to refund my money. Instead I used it as part payment on a Garmin 320.

That Tec-1 looked to be a well made tool, that I did like, it felt good in my hands. But i don't get why rather than just sending out a new set that Sport Dog didn't repair the one that I sent back or at least test the new one before they sent it. The guy's I talked to in their customer service were very good but the problem never was fixed. I've heard several people say they love their's, I learned to despise mine!

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:45 pm

I have one for sale. Recently bought it from displaced Texan. My Brittany is just bugged out with it on. Don't know if it is the antennas or the fact that the combo weight is a little heavier than the single exp she was raised up with. As I was looking to buy the TEK-1 the support staff at Sport Dog were very friendly and helpful. Buying used, I was enquireing about repair estimates and they are much lower than Garmin or collar clinic. They were very supportive even though I was buying used. I bought it to find her in heavy cover but do not want to sacrifice performance just for that. Selling for $300.00