Trainers in Southern Nevada pup advice

whiteapino254

Post by whiteapino254 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:10 pm

I am very new to dog training. Haven't owned a dog since I was a child. I have had my pudelpointer for about 3 months dog is about 6 months. I live in Las Vegas. I take her out at least every weekend once for a hike outdoors. Constant practice with the leash on walks. Extremely social with other dogs. I expose her to different environments taking her all over with me and on a lot of rider. Currently working on the heel command. Has sit, stay, and come down pact. Except with a lot of distractions at a park the whistle recall has faded. Also knows it's crate perfect. Just purchased a dogtra 2500 e collar point and beep. Have had her wearing it at home on errands and the park and on hikes. I have not used it on her yet. As I want to continue tuning regular obedience. I have not started teaching whoa as I want to build a whoa table first. The hard part is I'm a rookie doing this on my own with no help. Besides you tube, and Internet forums. I would love my dog to have another dog to follow. I have not been able to really introduce birds I let her chase and stay intersted in birds at park. So she doesn't lose any drive. Luckily my neighbor just started to incubate some quail he plans on raising some. So I plan on getting birds from him whenever I can. It will also help with steadiness. Put it in a bird bag. Weather is warming so soon she will start to learn to swim in a friends pool. Right now my dog doesn't know how to search for birds on hikes she tends to stay close and runs around and comes back. Uses a lot more of her eyes then nose she's constantly looking around. Any advice input would help. Or a way to find people in Vegas. I'm not looking for a dog to test but a great hunting partner during upland season. There isn't a lot of birds during season so now it's even more scarce. I also just completed rattle snake training to better help the pup since she puts her face in everything. Took her to the range twice but it's been over a month or so she did great the sound of shots didn't bother her one bit. Not sure if it could change from now. Since she is older I know exposure is important with everything but my tools are limited. I can't afford or have the birds to do the whole blank gun route. Am falling behind? Am I doing alright? Looking for some feedback of somesort. Or any miracle of someone in Vegas willing to do weekend work together with our dogs. I am very willing to learn. Teaching the handler is just as important as the dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Trainers in Southern Nevada pup advice

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:30 pm

I am sure there would be people that would offer to help if they had an idea where you are located. There is a place to show that when you signed on as a member but so many of you anymore do not fill it in.

Ezzy

whiteapino254

Post by whiteapino254 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:32 pm

I just updated it I believe maybe it shows now?!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:38 pm

Yep you got it.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:52 pm

You may contact Rashawn Gordon on face book. He lives in Seachlight NV. He eats and sleeps pointing dogs and hunting. I think he is a amature handler but has been doing it for at least 25 years. He may be willing to help. Also, never do shot training without flushing birds. DO NOT go back to the range.

whiteapino254

Post by whiteapino254 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:52 pm

Thank you I just messaged him. Hope to get a response.

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:29 pm

If you're looking for a pro, there are a couple of good ones back towards southern california.

Carl Porter and Larry Lowell are very good with pointing dogs. Carl was Hongo's assistant before he contracted with the Richardsons and then Killams. Larry would tag along with both to Summer camps. They're in the high desert just south of Barstow and I know both have worked with pudelpointers.

If you're looking for a versatile dog trainer (ie NAVHDA and JGHV), Bob Worrell is excellent. He can take you from pup to a Versatile Champion. He's over in Gorman on the Tejon ranch.

Now back to your area, you have the Las Vegas Bird Dog Club. They have a few events including a field trial in Feb towards Mesquite every year. They have a Facebook page. If that doesn't work for you, I can look for their personal emails.

Also, I don't know where in Vegas you're located but my in laws are down in Henderson by the 95/215 (dragonridge?) and there is quail all over their neighborhood and in the buffer zones. My point being, you don't have to be able to discharge a firearm to get the pup on wild birds. Just take what you can find thats close and let the pup have fun.

The problem that you're going to running into soon is the heat. It's going to be hard to work your dog soon, even in the early mornings, and, to be frank, you should lay off the wild quail in that heat.

Bob and Larry stay in town and train mornings and evenings. Carl heads up to Bridgeport in June and is up there until he heads out to nationals in October.

Next year, after your pup has some experience and confidence in its nose, a summer camp on the prairies would be perfect.