Need some advice on Old Lady's lap dog.

DPC874

Post by DPC874 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:32 pm

I'm hours away from bringing home my first puppy to be trained as a waterfowl/ upland hunting dog.(yellow Lab) The old lady of the household has a 15 year old senile dachshund that was trained as a pup to bark as a pup when it needed to go out or was hungry or needed water etc. My God Worst Mistake Ever on her part. Now that it's 16 it gets away with murder. The small dog barks constantly. I mean literally constantly there is about 2 hours of the day where it doesn't bark. And that's all spaced out. He has an endless pit of a stomach and constantly wants treats and cannot be left alone or not be within eyesight of Someone. And she only fuled this terrible habit by giving into its demands and barking so if it barks it gets a treat or goes outside to pee or its alone and needs to be with someone. So the last 10 years it's gotten it's way it knows that if it barks non stop for an Hr that eventually she will fill its needs. So my issue is in about to bring home this lab and the last thing I want it to do is learn that behavior from seeing the other dog get its way. I will ignore this new dog if it whines or barks and only give in once it becomes silent but I'm worried about it copying the behavior of this lap dog. She is totally against putting an electric collar on it since its 15 years old and I sort of agree. What can I do to avoid my dog learning this behavior. She knows better than to teach my dog this and give in to it but my dog will see her do this and give in to the other dog. I'm scared out of my mind that my dog will learn this. It would put me in a grave early if I had to listen to 2 dogs bark all day. Is there any options? Anything I can do? She won't put the dog down because despite ring covered in fatty tumors the dog is still active and quite frankly I think it could survive a nuclear holocaust. So I'm open to any ideas that won't put me in the doghouse....actually I don't mind the couch every once in while so give me those ideas as well. Really appreciate some help on this issue. Thanks - Pat

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Need some advice on Old Lady's lap dog.

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:55 pm

I wonder if the old man that lives with the old lady ever sits down and has a conversation. Was the old lady agreeable with the old man about getting another dog while the old dog was still alive? And does the old dog's barking constantly bother the old lady as much as it does the old man?

There is a possibility that a young dog coming in to the home of these old people may be good and help the old lady become the loving bride if the old man can possibly change into a youthful loving groom an the old dog might even start enjoying the activities and will stop the constant barking.

Give it a try and then see how it works out before we start correcting things that haven't happened.

DPC874

Post by DPC874 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:31 pm

Easy We have talked about it over and over. She does not understand the seriousness of a hunting dog following commands and does not realize that these commands while in the field can save its life. As my old lady (fiancé/wife) is very reasonable to talk to Its just she doesn't care if the new dog learns bad habits. She never taught her dog any commands other than to bark when it needed or wanted something. It never leaves the house or the vicinity of the property so I can she where she's coming from. It's her "baby" and is a lap dog with no rules does not even know what sit means. She was all for me getting this dog and she also agrees that the old dog drives us crazy but she's very protective and close minded when it comes to her dog. Why she is against the bark collar. And I'd love to agree with you that the dog is going to magically stop barking once the new pup enters the picture but that's a fairy tale and most dog owners here would agree with me. The dog has been doing this for 15 years I highly doubt it will stop once a new puppy enters the picture and receives more attention. So that's why I asked for alternatives to a bark collar. But I do agree with you it is a problem that doesn't even exist yet but I just don't want the new dog to pick up this habit and take me 1-2 months of breaking it when I could have prepared for it in the beginning. hope you can understand that. As to the relationship of my fiancé we are doing great and have no issues so I'm here focusing on the dogs not her just at the moment. I know she comes first. Thanks-Pat

DougB

Post by DougB » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:14 am

Unfortunately, lots of people don't see the value of an education for dogs or themselves. I run my pooch at a dog park once in a while and the differences are so apparent. Watched a kid with a good looking lab try to go home. Dog went out 100 ft and watched his owner call him. Lots of fun. Owner had to walk out, pick up dog, and carry him to the gate (no leash either), then watched the dog run off to play with dogs at another area. Had to chase down and carry the dog back to the truck. I get my pups attention, point to the gate and meet him there. Heel him to the truck, and tell him up and in and we leave. Dogs want to please the boss. Training just shows them how, and makes life so much better for you and your dog. 10 minutes a day is all it takes, but some appear to want to" let the dog be a dog". I enjoy classes with my dog. Night out, no wife, other people working their dogs.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:17 am

LOL Very hard at the dog park to keep my mouth shut and not say, " Can I give you some advice on that ....." JRT loves the dog park.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:38 am

I think you're worrying too much. My wife also has a dachshund that barks constantly and in general is an arse. It drives me nuts and she lets it away with everytihing because according to her "she's small and cute" (she is small, but thats it). I was terrified when I got my spaniel he'd bark all the time too (there is nothing I hate more than barking) since she does.... but he doesn't. He rarely ever makes a sound. Some dogs are just more vocal than others. He is also very obedient and listens to everything in the house - the dachsie does not. Just worry about the pup in front of you and don't stress over the old dog. It'll be fine.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:04 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:I think you're worrying too much. My wife also has a dachshund that barks constantly and in general is an arse. It drives me nuts and she lets it away with everytihing because according to her "she's small and cute" (she is small, but thats it). I was terrified when I got my spaniel he'd bark all the time too (there is nothing I hate more than barking) since she does.... but he doesn't. He rarely ever makes a sound. Some dogs are just more vocal than others. He is also very obedient and listens to everything in the house - the dachsie does not. Just worry about the pup in front of you and don't stress over the old dog. It'll be fine.

Good advice. Also keep in mind that some BREEDS are prone to excessive barking. There are individual differences, of course. However, in general, dachshunds do and labs, if kept as house dogs, don't.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:14 am

Can one say, bark collar? If you put a bark collar on the barking dog and be extremely careful to keep the energy level very low to start, eventually the dog, in fact any dog can be conditioned not to bark, without inflicting a ton of pressure. The key it to start low and slowly increase the energy level on the collar, until you notice the dog slightly reacting when he barks. Usually a dog will turn his head and look around, that's when I know it is set just right!

Or see you vet, they do have some drugs that are safe for small older dogs that calm them. Of course if may mean that dog will live another 10 years....OMG!

Good Luck

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:25 pm

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:51 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:I think you're worrying too much. My wife also has a dachshund that barks constantly and in general is an arse. It drives me nuts and she lets it away with everytihing because according to her "she's small and cute" (she is small, but thats it). I was terrified when I got my spaniel he'd bark all the time too (there is nothing I hate more than barking) since she does.... but he doesn't. He rarely ever makes a sound. Some dogs are just more vocal than others. He is also very obedient and listens to everything in the house - the dachsie does not. Just worry about the pup in front of you and don't stress over the old dog. It'll be fine.
To the OP:
I believe this is the answer you seek.

Also, would this happen to be your first hunting dog?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:50 pm

DPC874 wrote:I'm hours away from bringing home my first puppy to be trained as a waterfowl/ upland hunting dog.(yellow Lab) The old lady of the household has a 15 year old senile dachshund that was trained as a pup to bark as a pup when it needed to go out or was hungry or needed water etc. My God Worst Mistake Ever on her part. Now that it's 16 it gets away with murder. The small dog barks constantly. I mean literally constantly there is about 2 hours of the day where it doesn't bark. And that's all spaced out. He has an endless pit of a stomach and constantly wants treats and cannot be left alone or not be within eyesight of Someone. And she only fuled this terrible habit by giving into its demands and barking so if it barks it gets a treat or goes outside to pee or its alone and needs to be with someone. So the last 10 years it's gotten it's way it knows that if it barks non stop for an Hr that eventually she will fill its needs. So my issue is in about to bring home this lab and the last thing I want it to do is learn that behavior from seeing the other dog get its way. I will ignore this new dog if it whines or barks and only give in once it becomes silent but I'm worried about it copying the behavior of this lap dog. She is totally against putting an electric collar on it since its 15 years old and I sort of agree. What can I do to avoid my dog learning this behavior. She knows better than to teach my dog this and give in to it but my dog will see her do this and give in to the other dog. I'm scared out of my mind that my dog will learn this. It would put me in a grave early if I had to listen to 2 dogs bark all day. Is there any options? Anything I can do? She won't put the dog down because despite ring covered in fatty tumors the dog is still active and quite frankly I think it could survive a nuclear holocaust. So I'm open to any ideas that won't put me in the doghouse....actually I don't mind the couch every once in while so give me those ideas as well. Really appreciate some help on this issue. Thanks - Pat
Is this your wife of which you are speaking?