Puppy peeing in crate

Jlarrick

Puppy peeing in crate

Post by Jlarrick » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:48 am

Have a 12 week old GSP puppy that will pee in her bed and pee and poop in her crate and then walk through it. I always thought dogs would not pee or poop where thy lay. Also she seems to pee about every 30 to 45 min I would think she could hold her bladder longer than that any help is appreciated.

deseeker

Re: Puppy peeing in crate

Post by deseeker » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:27 am

It might be a urinary tract infection.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:38 pm

The crate isn't totally magic. Dog of that age still has to get out to pee hourly + - during the day and can go some longer during the night.

Make sure the crate isn't too big. Just enough room to stand tall , turn around and lie down. Any bigger and the y will use 1/2 for a bathroom.

Get a urinary test done - common in females .

pooch897

Puppy peeing in crate

Post by pooch897 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:45 pm

I made my crate as small as possible when my pup was young because he was doing the same thing. Problem was solved immediately. I thought it was mean at first but it didn't seem to bother him.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:07 pm

A lot of kennel born puppies do not learn to leave the nest to pee and can be difficult to crate train. they usually learn fairly quick if they get out often enough.........................Cj

Jlarrick

Puppy peeing in crate

Post by Jlarrick » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks for the replies I will make her crate smaller and get her to the vet.

speng5

Post by speng5 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:43 am

yep, that's what I would do. Years and years ago I bought a very very large crate, being of the thought you can make a big crate smaller but you can't make a small crate bigger. Saved money having different sized dogs over the years and puppies grow up in it. Typically what I'd do for the little dogs or the pups, I would take one of those plastic recycling totes or one of similar size, put it in the back of the crate with a couple bricks or a cinder block in it.

I did have to ratchet strap the lid of it on, had a weimaraner pup climb on it, knock the lid off, slither over the side with only 3-4'' clearance, and crap in the tote on my bricks :roll: :roll:

huntindog1

Post by huntindog1 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:24 am

I put a wire wall in our crate to make the crate just big enough to lie down in and it worked for peeing.
Pups will have accidents but long periods of time is hard on a pup to not pee , the seem to get better
after getting around 6 to 7 months old. Dogs mature at different rates.