Pup might have Addisons Disease

tckelsey

Pup might have Addisons Disease

Post by tckelsey » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:47 am

Well just got the call from my Vet that he thinks my 5 month old GSP has Addisons Disease :cry:

Day before yesterday my pup Moose started acting lethargic and weak after coming inside the house at around 7pm. His back legs started giving out and he would try to sit down and end up pretty much falling and laying down. He drank a decent amount of water but didnt want to eat any food. We laid him on his bed where he spent the rest of the night until he threw up at around midnight.

Now the thing is, this is the second time this has happened to him. About 2 months ago he randomly had an episode very similar to this one. Very weak, lethargic and almost passing out. At that time we took him to an emergency vet where they did blood tests and his Glucose levels came back slightly low and his Cortisol levels were low.

Since that time he had been perfectly fine until his latest episode. So we took him to our regular Vet where he did blood tests again and his Cortisol levels came back low for the second time. That leads him to believe that it could possibly be Addisons Disease. He wants to do another test where he injects hormones into Moose to see how his glands react, and that should confirm whether he has the disease or not.

This is kind of hard for me and the girlfriend being our first dog, and the fact that he is so young.

Hopefully he doesnt end up with it but im trying to prepare for the worst.

Has anyone had any experience with a GSP w/ Addisons? Any suggestions?

Thanks guys

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup might have Addisons Disease

Post by Sharon » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:12 am

No experience with Addisons here , but I'm sorry you've had to go through this with your first dog. Trust things work out favourably.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:20 pm

what are/were your plans for your pup?
reason I ask is the experience I have had with addisons isn't a life where going hunting and stress of that type is good for the animal and in some cases can be a death sentence. They need to be mostly kept calm Some dogs even stress of company can trigger a reaction.

I would contact your breeder where you got your pup from and see what they would like to do as they need to know that the two dogs they bred did produce a pup with addisons. For your pup to have it it had to come from both sides and the genes lined up where the pup showed up positive ..that isnt to say that any of the other pups in the litter will show up with it or any future pups should they elect to rebreed but if there are more pups and no one says anything they won't have the data to decide whether to redo or not with out the contact

Sorry wish there was something better to say but there isn't

tckelsey

Post by tckelsey » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

Took him to the vet this afternoon for the blood tests but wont get the results back until tomorrow. So im trying not to jump to any conclusions and hoping for the best.

My goal is duck hunt with him and most likely some field testing. He already shows so much potential so im hoping its not Addisons.

Hes thrown up a few times each of the last 2 mornings, which is not normal for him. But other than that hes been perfectly fine (eating, energy levels etc...)
So all we can do now is wait and see.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:07 pm

I wish the best of outcomes for you, the pup and your family~

tckelsey

Post by tckelsey » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:50 pm

Fantastic news!

Pup doesnt have Addisons! So were extremely happy about that! All his blood work came back normal.

Vet says hes really at a loss for what could be happening with Moose as far as the lethargy/passing out episodes. He thinks its a possibility that hes gotten stung by something and has an allergic reaction. At this point its only happened twice so hopefully it wont happen anymore. Other than that, all is good!

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:38 am

Maybe eating mushrooms outside?

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:56 am

this just came to me my .dog years ago after hunting for and awhile hab some kind of seizure where she passed out and jerked her legs later on the way home had another attack my vet said it was because of sugar level droped to low she never had another attack that i know of

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:45 am

Just curious... Do you have a Seresto collars on your dog?