pointing to much

setterpoint

pointing to much

Post by setterpoint » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:56 pm

i have a english pointer 5 years old last year she started pointing as soon as i turned her loose no birds would be there and thru out the hunt she would point and hold point as i walked around her no bird she just started doing this she will still point birds for me but i know shes pointing when there are no birds maybe i just came thru a place and she might come thru and point real intense but i know theres no bird there mayby on a hour hunt she will point 10 times mayby 3 will hold a bird as i said she just started this last year.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: pointing to much

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:23 pm

She's 5, but for how long has she had experience with wild birds?

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:29 am

Do you praise her or touch her when she points ? If you do stop doing that . Dogs do things that gets them praise and that includes pointing with some dogs.

Bill T.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:31 am

she hasnt had to much ex.on wild birds last year i hunted her more than ever befor i built a cabin in michigan as i am now retired so she seen a lot more birds. and plan on hunting more this year i have some setters that i hunt also but they did not do this i have never dealt with this befor but i see from the replys where things might have went wrong thanks guys

ncpointers

Post by ncpointers » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:34 pm

Use a controlled situation where you know for sure where the birds are. When she false points, just keep walking and encourage her to go on. When she points a bird, flush and shoot it. But you control the situation fully to know when she has a bird.