The Well-travelled French Brittany Breeder

chiendog

The Well-travelled French Brittany Breeder

Post by chiendog » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:01 pm

Bill Kelley is a man on a mission. The goal of his Cache d'Or Bretons kennel is to produce Epagneul Bretons (French Brittanies) in the United States equal to the finest found in France. So, every year he travels from his home in Maryland to France to learn about the breed, run his dogs in typical French terrain, walk with judges at field trials and learn about the finer points of conformation from the best show judges in the country. As a fellow francophile, I have much in common with Bill. I've spent a lot of time in France watching French dogs do their thing. But I've never actually met an American there or spoken to one that has dedicated so much time learning about the French system. So I was interested to hear Bill's thoughts about the French field trial scene and the dogs they produce and asked him a few questions. I hope you find his answers as interesting as I did. Click the link below to read the full interview.

http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2016 ... rance.html

Herve

Re: The Well-travelled French Brittany Breeder

Post by Herve » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:27 pm

Very interesting to read!

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:04 pm

It's always interesting to learn how it's done in other parts of the world. Thanks for letting us have a glimpse at interesting people and how they run their excellent dogs.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:58 pm

I found Mr.Kelleys observations interesting but maybe a bit one sided. I know a few people in Britain who travel to France to trial their Brits there because they don't win with them in Britain. They prefer the French judges more lenient marking of steadiness and retrieving I think. I've been told British judges don't allow as much "freedom of thought and action" by the dogs as French judges do ???

America, Britain and France all have different expectations of a dogs work and to some extent different working conditions too. A British E.B. that has won trials here probably would not win in France but the same applies in reverse ......and the French know that and do not make the 25 mile trip across the English channel to trial their dogs here.
I suspect the same would be the case if a British or French dog tried competing in America .....and again the same thing would apply in reverse .....unless the dog was specifically trained to work in the way expected in another country.
In short, it is not so much that the dogs are better or worse it is just the training of them that is done "differently" to meet different expectations.

Bill T.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Trekmoor wrote:I found Mr.Kelleys observations interesting but maybe a bit one sided. I know a few people in Britain who travel to France to trial their Brits there because they don't win with them in Britain. They prefer the French judges more lenient marking of steadiness and retrieving I think. I've been told British judges don't allow as much "freedom of thought and action" by the dogs as French judges do ???

America, Britain and France all have different expectations of a dogs work and to some extent different working conditions too. A British E.B. that has won trials here probably would not win in France but the same applies in reverse ......and the French know that and do not make the 25 mile trip across the English channel to trial their dogs here.
I suspect the same would be the case if a British or French dog tried competing in America .....and again the same thing would apply in reverse .....unless the dog was specifically trained to work in the way expected in another country.
In short, it is not so much that the dogs are better or worse it is just the training of them that is done "differently" to meet different expectations.

Bill T.
I couldn't agree more. I find no satisfaction that you will find better dogs by going to another country but will likely find different qualities being bred for. As I have said before my first brits had French born dogs in the 3 generation pedigree and many of the Brits looked very much like the French dogs do today. But here we styled them up and bred some boldness into them while smoothing the coat and treding towards the clear pattern dogs. What do you think will happen to the recent imports decendants that will be any different since most of those changes came about do to a different environment and our love of style and speed. And in another 50 years someone will import more French dogs and I have no idea what we will call them since American and French are already used.

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:28 am

Personally, I don't travel to other countries to see if the dogs there are better or worse than in other parts of the world. I travel because I enjoy seeing gun dogs perform in different terrains and on different game. Most importantly, for me, is to see dogs in their native land. For Volume One of my book, I felt that it was very important to see each breed working in the terrain for which they were created and to speak with breeders with a lot of experience over there. For Volume Two, I will do the same. I will be travelling to England, Ireland and Scotland to see Pointers and setters work in their native lands. Are they better or worse there? I don't really care. I just want to gain insights into the breeds by seeing where they were created and developed. Put it this way, if I were to write a book about Karate, I would do my best to go to Japan or if I were to write a book on golf I would do my best to go to Scotland. For anyone interested in a breed that was created and developed in another country, a trip to the motherland is a return to the source, a very enjoyable way of deepening one's understanding of the origins and development of their favourite breed.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:48 am

chiendog wrote:Personally, I don't travel to other countries to see if the dogs there are better or worse than in other parts of the world. I travel because I enjoy seeing gun dogs perform in different terrains and on different game. Most importantly, for me, is to see dogs in their native land. For Volume One of my book, I felt that it was very important to see each breed working in the terrain for which they were created and to speak with breeders with a lot of experience over there. For Volume Two, I will do the same. I will be travelling to England, Ireland and Scotland to see Pointers and setters work in their native lands. Are they better or worse there? I don't really care. I just want to gain insights into the breeds by seeing where they were created and developed. Put it this way, if I were to write a book about Karate, I would do my best to go to Japan or if I were to write a book on golf I would do my best to go to Scotland. For anyone interested in a breed that was created and developed in another country, a trip to the motherland is a return to the source, a very enjoyable way of deepening one's understanding of the origins and development of their favourite breed.
Agreed. that would be how I would do it.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:47 pm

It is a different game in different countries. Doesn't mean the good dogs won't win. Vern was the top EB in the US for many years, and I took him to France when he was a little over 2 years old. He received a C.A.C.T in a braced trial in France, in addition receiving several "Excellent" classifications. I am hoping his breeding with one of my females takes, as I will be keeping a male from it, with the hopes of taking that dog to France. I would love to try trialing in England as well.

Betucker

Post by Betucker » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:13 am

Reading this makes me excited to get my pup on August 9th. His parents are CH Gayle De Cache D'Or​ ​SH - "Ziva" and CH Argos Du Hameau De Sorny JH TAN - "Gus". Good to know I made a good decision on who to get my pup from. Thanks for sharing this!