gsp pedigrees

greg jacobs

gsp pedigrees

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:35 pm

I really enjoy looking at different breeders top dogs and their pedigree. You generally only see 4 or 5 generations. I've never seen any of the major dogs. You see Hillhaven's Hustler, Wendy Vom Enzstrand crosses. Esser's Duke Vd Wildburg. More recently you see Sam Saint Max, and Jacob Vd Westwind.
I understand that 4 or 5 generations back may not have much influence on current dogs but I think it can help show what the breeders are trying to achieve.
What are some other dogs people like to see in a pedigree and how do you find out the traits that some of these dogs have added to current lines.
I know I'm going to hear that it is more important to see what the traits of the current dogs are and that be true enough but I would love to hear a little about the dogs of the past and how they influenced lines.
I'm just not sure how to gather that kind of information. I don't know anyone that has that kind of information.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: gsp pedigrees

Post by cjhills » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:17 pm

Orson Pottsiepen had a fairly big impact on the NAVHDA dogs. Most of the black dogs have Pottsiepen in their pedigrees. That is where the prey drive comes from also.
Jacob VD Westwind and Sam St.Max are not that far back. I have a Jake double grandson and a pup on the way from a Sam daughter. I believe Sam frozen semen is available and maybe Jacob is too. We have liked the trainability of the pups from both of these dogs.
Sharpshooter, Sundance and Friedelshiems have been quite influential NAVHDA bloodlines in the midwest. Most of these dogs eventually get back to Hustler
One thing about Hustler is that he was bred to a huge number of females. All of them could not have been great, so you can find a lot of variation in the hustler bred dogs.
I think as NAVHDA has grown and spread across the country it is not dominated by a few bloodlines like it once was. to me that is a good thing.......................Cj
P.S. I forgot Shooting Starr. Their Male Air Jordan was very influential in getting NAVHDA off the ground.
Last edited by cjhills on Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:08 pm

An extremely well bred line bred dog or horse, for that matter, might not show any common ancestors in the 3 or even 5 generation pedigree but you go to an 8 generation pedigree and you might have 30 tie ins in 6, 7, and 8.

While a standard 1-3 line breed (the sire is also the great grandsire on the bitch) is easy to do, where you start really developing a line is the breeding of half siblings, cousins and etc.

I just did a breeding where the dog and bitch both had HOF dog as a double grandsire. Easy to see on a 3 gen. If you went to a 10 gen, you would have seen another HOF dog, that isn't in the 1st HOF dog's line so it's in the great granddams' lines, expressed 18 times in generations 6 through 10 of the litters pedigrees.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:13 am

Get ahold of "The New Complete German Shorthaired Pointer" by Robert H. McKowen. A very informative book of the GSP. Available on Amazon or your local bookstore can get one for you.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks everyone.
Art, I'll get the book. Never thought about a book talking about specific dogs.

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:35 am

I do consider myself a bit of a pedigree hound. And I enjoy the insight provided by assembling rather large Excel spreadsheets. They allow you to see the littermate connections that pedigrees do not. I like to see the littermates to Jigs White Smoke: Hickory Ridge Hank & Jigs Bushwacker Babe. I also like to see the littermates to Rusty's sire: Craig's Moontige & Brown L's Jet, along with that line down through Rosehill Bilbo Baggins & Rosehill Cosmo.