Browning Sweet 16

Gertie

Browning Sweet 16

Post by Gertie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:19 am

So, I'm kinda lusting after this gun a bit but there's no place nearby where I can get my hands on one to look at it. I understand that it was made for a while and then discontinued before being recently reintroduced. I'm wondering if any of you have had any experience with this gun and what your thoughts are. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

http://www.browning.com/products/firear ... xteen.html

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Browning Sweet 16

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:03 pm

They were really good guns but you can't find 16 gauge shells in stock around this part of the country and it is high priced if you do.

Ezzy

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:22 pm

ezzy333 wrote:They were really good guns but you can't find 16 gauge shells in stock around this part of the country and it is high priced if you do.

Ezzy
I anticipate that shells will be a pain to find. If I buy the gun I'd probably just order them by the case online.

reba

Post by reba » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:32 pm

Get one that was made in Belgium with a vent rib, modified choke and 26 inch barrel.........

If you want interchangeable chokes ONLY send it to Briley for their thin walled chokes. However a 16 ga with modified choke would be ideal for all up land birds.

Guns International has a few right now.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:43 pm

reba wrote:Get one that was made in Belgium with a vent rib and modified choke........

If you want interchangeable chokes ONLY send it to Briley for their thin walled chokes.
See link she posted. Apparently she's looking at a new Sweet 16 that came with invector chokes.

If you get an original, make sure it's a real Sweet 16, as Browning did stick 16g. barrels on 12g. frames as well.

I have a graded 16 g. Citori and a 16 g. Ithaca 37. No problem at all finding shells. I suspect those who think there is don't own one. They are readily available, both locally and on the road, though I'll grant you there may be some regional differences.

16 g. Forum (http://www.16ga.com/forum/index.php) would have some informed comments and information on this gun.

reba

Post by reba » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:52 pm

Belgium made Browning A5's did not come with interchangeable chokes.

If you want interchangeable chokes for some reason on a Belgium made A5, then Briley is the only place that can install their thin walled chokes. Better yet just get one with a modified choke for upland game.

The A5's made in Japan will not have the "round knob" stock.

I have re-read my post several times and have no idea how it was assumed I was looking at an invector model, plus I didn't post a link. :roll:

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:06 pm

Gertie wrote:So, I'm kinda lusting after this gun a bit but there's no place nearby where I can get my hands on one to look at it. I understand that it was made for a while and then discontinued before being recently reintroduced. I'm wondering if any of you have had any experience with this gun and what your thoughts are. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

That scattergun is a "Sweet 16" in marketing name only...little in common with the Auto 5....different gun entire.
It will go boom and it is made to hit all those modern purchase keys such as choke tubes......you may like it.
Depends upon what you expect.
Personally, it is at most a bandwagon offering hoping to make hay off of a name and an image.
The true Auto 5 sweet 16s, especially in the plain barrel version, are gems that flow easily to and thru a gamebird.

Shells in 16 gauge are quite easy to find....carriers will have them at your door posthaste.
IF, your area finds that delivery difficult and one tries to find them on the shelf then options in load will be more difficult to locate.
But, generally, do not buy into the difficult angle of purchasing sixteens....it just does not fly today...and cost...is comparable and often indicative of load and quality.
One can find, or could, Herter's at low prices in 1 ounce.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:16 pm

reba wrote:I have re-read my post several times and have no idea how it was assumed I was looking at an invector model, plus I didn't post a link. :roll:
"She" referred to Gertie, who posted a link to the gun she was considering.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:12 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Gertie wrote:So, I'm kinda lusting after this gun a bit but there's no place nearby where I can get my hands on one to look at it. I understand that it was made for a while and then discontinued before being recently reintroduced. I'm wondering if any of you have had any experience with this gun and what your thoughts are. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

That scattergun is a "Sweet 16" in marketing name only...little in common with the Auto 5....different gun entire.
It will go boom and it is made to hit all those modern purchase keys such as choke tubes......you may like it.
Depends upon what you expect.
Personally, it is at most a bandwagon offering hoping to make hay off of a name and an image.
The true Auto 5 sweet 16s, especially in the plain barrel version, are gems that flow easily to and thru a game bird...
The A5 Sweet 16 due to be released late this summer/early fall is the one I'm looking at. See the link.

I currently shoot a 20 gauge Citori most of the time but would like something with just a bit more oomph for late season birds. Plus I just like the idea of an A5 just to have something a little different from my break open gun (and buying new guns is fun :lol: ).

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:56 pm

I did look at the link...therefore I knew you were not speaking of a Sweet 16 Auto 5. :idea:
The new scattergun is NOT an Auto 5, in most any measure. :idea: :idea: ...not the same gun. :idea: :idea:
That does not mean the new offering will not work well for you.

Enjoy your new A5...I have heard both september and october as hopeful release dates.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Personally, it is at most a bandwagon offering hoping to make hay off of a name and an image.The true Auto 5 sweet 16s, especially in the plain barrel version, are gems that flow easily to and thru a gamebird.
Not sure which bandwagon, as I don't see many manufacturers putting out new 16's. For past many years there's always two 16's between the dog boxes, belgian sweet 16 and mod 37, this year there'll be one more. No, the new gun is not a Belgian Sweet 16, but hats off to Browning for bringing out a new humpback 16. Looking forward to shooting mine soon.

16ga shells are not hard to find in KS/MO. Bass Pro, Scheels, Cabelas, "bleep", even Walmart at times.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:42 pm

I think it's a beautiful gun and in my favorite gauge. I carry my late father's Remington Sportsman in 16 that as I understand it, was modeled after the Browning.

I too have no trouble finding 16 gauge shells though they are a tad more expensive.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:05 pm

Pedro wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Personally, it is at most a bandwagon offering hoping to make hay off of a name and an image.The true Auto 5 sweet 16s, especially in the plain barrel version, are gems that flow easily to and thru a gamebird.
Not sure which bandwagon, as I don't see many manufacturers putting out new 16's. For past many years there's always two 16's between the dog boxes, belgian sweet 16 and mod 37, this year there'll be one more. No, the new gun is not a Belgian Sweet 16, but hats off to Browning for bringing out a new humpback 16. Looking forward to shooting mine soon.

16ga shells are not hard to find in KS/MO. Bass Pro, Scheels, Cabelas, "bleep", even Walmart at times.
It would be a bandwagon in that Browning hopes folks will jump onto the introduction, not reintroduction.
Jump because, as it appears to be the case here, of believing that a few will consider the newest offering is somehow the same as the Auto 5...that name and image thing.
"Humpback"...would also be different, as you would know.

As I said before, the new one will go boom, has lightweight, a more modern action and choke tubes to appeal to those who find each of those somehow important and I suspect that most who purchase the guns will consider the money well spent...certainly, initially....few like to admit they shelled out coin in a moment of mistake.
It would be a good rainy day gun...and many folks just like to buy a new gun...and, no doubt the silly 3" 16 option will find renewed gabble in this platform.
Marketers.....they sure know their business of rolling dice.

Over Time, several scatterguns from several manufacturers have been revealed to many doffed caps and applause and then Time decides the introduction was not all it was cracked up to be.
I reckon we will see if this new hopefully-named A5 will find sufficient acclaim to one day decades hence be used as a marketer's brainstorm.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:19 am

I'm not familiar with the old A5 Sweet 16 and am curious as to what the differences between it and the new one and why the new one might not perform as well as the older version. If someone could give a little rundown (and forgive my ignorance) I'd be appreciative. Thanks!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:48 am

Both scatterguns will go bang...both will perform sufficient for government work.
As before, the new A5, not the new Auto 5, has a listing of features that many pant for....enjoy one ifin you buy one.

The Auto 5 and it's Sweet interation have a bit of a cult-ish following, John Browning at work...often supported by a personal preference in esthetics and real world bird swatting, depending upon the model and particulars, of course.
Often supported as well by memories of and a longing for the Past or a personal Past and Time and, especially, when well-made was known by a sound.
That scattergun also has detractors who dislike the weight, the long recoil shuffle, the look or the, to me, heads-up shooting posture or the rings or the .......whatever.

Imho, the Auto 5 is not magic and not perfection but it remains dear to me for those memories and for the way that good stuff happens when it is uncased, for me.
To dig into the weeds for a listing of advantages...or disadvantages....seems rather unimportant.
But, that is all out there on the Net along with those making the case for their choice.
I have nothing against the new A5...I do hate to see it considered an Auto 5....it is just that the A5 features and glossy look that draw the panting......simply have zero appeal, for me.

Put another way....performance is not a factor of importance for me, as not much in the way of a scattergun....does not work.
We are successful at gamebirds by our decisions more than our tools....and I want a tool that I also consider a friend, as odd as that may sound.
I'm also blessed in having several different old and time-proven friends to side me on a day afield....at my time of life, "new" has all the appeal of a single cold brussel sprout.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:16 am

reba wrote: The A5's made in Japan will not have the "round knob" stock.
This is not correct. The Sweets made in Japan have the "round knob". Belgium made Sweets also had a "round knob" up until 1967 when they went to the "flat knob".

I'm still kind of confused my the OP's original post:
So, I'm kinda lusting after this gun a bit but there's no place nearby where I can get my hands on one to look at it. I understand that it was made for a while and then discontinued before being recently reintroduced. I'm wondering if any of you have had any experience with this gun and what your thoughts are.
The new A5 Sweet Sixteen was not "made for a while and then discontinued". It has yet to be released. The Auto 5's were made in Belgium until 1975 when production shifted to Miroku in Japan. The Auto 5 Sweet Sixteen was not produced between 1976 and 1987 then it was produced by Miroku for a number of years until being discontinued in the sometime in the 1990's. The new A5 Sweet Sixteen being introduced this year is based on the new A5 introduced a few years ago and should not be confused with the Auto 5's made in Belgium and Japan.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:18 pm

Ok, so I'm realizing that I have been misinformed about the details of this gun. I get that the gun isn't out yet and that it is due for distribution late summer/early fall 2016. However, I was under the impression that this was basically an updated version of the old Sweet 16 and it sounds like that's not the case. I've never shot the older version so I don't have a frame of reference. However, I have shot a new A5 12 gauge and I did like the feel of that gun a lot. I'm assuming the mechanics of this gun are at least similar? Please do forgive the ignorance here. I have been using a o/u for quite some time and this would be my first auto gun. What I'm after is a gun that's somewhat light weight (I'm a chukar hunter so I'm happy to shave an ounce or two when I can) that will serve me a bit better than my 20 gauge for hitting late season (i.e. early flushing) birds and provide an extra shot. I thought this gun could possibly fit that bill nicely.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:34 pm

Gertie wrote:Chukar.... I thought this gun could possibly fit that bill nicely.
I agree but would personally prefer the 12 BUL/24".

Yes, A5s are A5s.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:49 am

Gertie wrote:Ok, so I'm realizing that I have been misinformed about the details of this gun. I get that the gun isn't out yet and that it is due for distribution late summer/early fall 2016. However, I was under the impression that this was basically an updated version of the old Sweet 16 and it sounds like that's not the case. I've never shot the older version so I don't have a frame of reference. However, I have shot a new A5 12 gauge and I did like the feel of that gun a lot. I'm assuming the mechanics of this gun are at least similar? Please do forgive the ignorance here. I have been using a o/u for quite some time and this would be my first auto gun. What I'm after is a gun that's somewhat light weight (I'm a chukar hunter so I'm happy to shave an ounce or two when I can) that will serve me a bit better than my 20 gauge for hitting late season (i.e. early flushing) birds and provide an extra shot. I thought this gun could possibly fit that bill nicely.
The New A5's are nothing like the old Auto 5's. Totally different gun. Since you have shot one of the New A 5's you are at least somewhat familiar with the gun and it's function. The New Sweet Sixteen is identical to the 12 ga. A5 you shot in function but it comes on a scaled down frame and is lighter weight. I would think it would make one very "Sweet" (pardon the pun) chukar gun.

As far as 16 ga. ammo. It appears that the availability varies around the country. I have no problem getting 16 ga. ammo here in SD. Is it as readily available as 12 and 20 ga? No! But it is available in good supplies if you look around.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:01 pm

Many years ago I owned a Belgain made sweet 16. I hated it. It did not fit me and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I eventually traded it away. My nephew recently bought one of the new Browning A5's in a 12 gauge. He showed it to me and I was certain that I would not like it. I handled the gun and shouldered it, and to my surprise, it felt great. I did not actually shoot the gun, however.