using a shock collar

s223196

using a shock collar

Post by s223196 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:09 am

our 9 month old gsp is doing great in the house and is a member of the family. She likes to go everywhere with us. Only real issue is recall in the yard. In the field she never goes too far away but our yard is unfenced and a couple acres and she is starting to go near the road and will not listen to me. should I get a collar to get her attention?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: using a shock collar

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:41 am

If you choose to get a collar, make her a collar dog. Fact is, if she won't come without a collar on, she may not come with it on. She always has two options: to go away from you or to come to you. She may do either with the collar unless totally trained to come before the collar is strapped on. It's not a "shock collar", it's an ecollar. Learning to use it is a process. Before deciding one way or the other, get a good collar breaking DVD and watch it, then decide. You usually don't buy an ecollar to cure ONE problem.

DougB

Post by DougB » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:00 am

Does she just stay close in the field, or does she have a good recall in the field. I prefer to teach "come" with a rope and treats, then with out the rope but still with treats. Then without treats. Then, put the collar on and head for the field. I use the nic function sparingly and when I know he knows he is doing something wrong. My collar has a beep function that I use to call him, a vibrate that I use to get his attention, and a nic to explain to him he is doing something wrong.

Warning: I did not sleep in a Holiday Express and I do not know your dog.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:06 am

Your dog will need to learn recall without a collar before it will know it with one.

s223196

Post by s223196 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:01 pm

I didn't want to use an e collar at all on her because I didn't want to do more harm than good.She does come in the field if called but just for a second and then she's off again. And I know she is still a pup, but she doesnt obey commands unless there is a treat involved. and the road thing scares me even though its very rural with just a few cars. Is there a good dvd on basic obedience that anyone could recomend?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:21 am

Don't let her off the leash or cc until she is 150% on them. Then don't take it off, let the dog drag it.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Agreed, you just need a check cord.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:24 am

the best way i can tell you is how i did with my dog she is now 11 month old i would say hear and use the cord to bring her to me dont pull use short jerks on the cord to bring her in you can use treets if you like when she is coming to you put the collar on dog my dog at level 3 is just a twitch of her head or ears i knew she was felling it iwould say come tug on the cord and hit the collar after a while i drop the tug and just used the collar with enough reps your dog should come to you on come only if she dosent use the collar then i brought in the whistle she now knows two toots to come to me if she dont want to i have the collar to inforce it hope this helps

Leeza

Post by Leeza » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:57 pm

Lots of good obedience DVDs. Find one that fits your situation and what you plan on doing with her in the future.she is testing you. Like the others have said, start with a check cord. Always have a check cord dragging on her and never give a command unless you can reach that cord and enforce it. Do that now or she will be making all the decisions for the rest of her life. No harsh treatment needed and you are less likely to make a mistake with a check cord. She's still a puppy but consistency on that check cord is more important now.
You may have to do something about a fence or in ground fence for her. If a dog can get in front of a moving car, it will, even on a quiet road. No obedience DVD is going to prevent that accident when you're away from home or just distracted with other things. Good luck to you!

Legband

Post by Legband » Mon May 02, 2016 10:05 pm

S2----------
It's been alluded to but not out right said
With any command before you use a e-collar the dog must 100% know or understand the command , he must know with no confusion what you want him to do if not you will create a much larger problem for yourself , e-collars can be excellent tools or devastating dog wreckers proceed with caution.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Tue May 03, 2016 7:07 am

The shock collar teaches the dog absolutely nothing. All the collar does is to teach the dog that, yes, you really can still reach him way out there. If the dog does not understand the command, you've got a higher chance of the dog running away from the shock than of the dog running to you.

The collar has high value for a dog who wants to flip you off if he thinks you can't catch him. But the dog has to have a reliable response to the command "come" before he will understand what to do to escape the shock.

I'm a big believer in lots of recall training in a very controlled situation. Lots of praise, a few cookies, and make it fun, not a drill. Smile, laugh, praise, make it fun to come to you.

Then the check cord in a more open, but safe area. Never call the dog unless you are 100% certain you can make the dog come to you. If in doubt, go out and get the dog instead of calling it. You don't want the dog to learn he has an option about the recall. Once the dog is solid, you go to the collar, so that you have a way to enforce the command at a distance.

Seriously, OP, do not start with the collar in your own field with the open road and traffic. You need safe place in case the dog panics and bolts. I've never had a dog run, but I've never use a collar on a dog that didn't thoroughly understand what I wanted when I called.

The biggest mistake I see people make about the recall is that they will lose their temper about some other misbehavior and call the dog to them and punish the dog. Never call to punish. If you need to punish, go out and get the dog. Coming to you should be the safest thing a dog can do. Your feet should be the safe zone where the dog wants to be if there is anything that frightens the dog. Your dog won't want to come to you if he knows he will be punished when he gets there.

s223196

Post by s223196 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Legband wrote:S2----------
It's been alluded to but not out right said
With any command before you use a e-collar the dog must 100% know or understand the command , he must know with no confusion what you want him to do if not you will create a much larger problem for yourself , e-collars can be excellent tools or devastating dog wreckers proceed with caution.
that what scares me. I really want to be careful

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:10 pm

Again, lets be clear. These are not shock collars, they stimulate which lets the dog understand you are still in contact even though the dog is well beyond check cord distance. And hat is how it should be used, a long Check Cord that keeps you connected. It is good to understand the proper use and the need to use it sensibly however that is the exact same advice needed for every other tool you use. The chance of ruining a dog is practically nil if you just use common sense.

Ezzy