New to this

mnaj_springer

Re: New to this

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue May 10, 2016 6:25 am

cjhills wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:Few things on my mind:

1. Nice looking pup! Have fun and be patient!

2. Ezzy, a field bred springer should have a natural range that's within gun range. The patterning training is meant to polish.

3. Ezzy, you should know with your experience that just because a dog is a "hunting breed" doesn't necessarily mean it will hunt. Now a Brittany springer cross wasn't done purposefully, and if it was, they probably aren't hunting dogs, so that might suggest that this particular mix isn't bred to hunt.
2.Most field bred springers I have seen needed to be reined in a bit. No , all of them.
3. Why would you assume a accidental breeding would not be between Hunting dogs, that is a bit of a stretch. Maybe it was not a accidental breeding for all we know. Especially if you have to put a deposit on a $500 pup.
This will probably be a great little dog. I bought quite few papered dogs that were not nearly as good as my cross breed.
Good luck to the OP, you are gonna like your puppy........................Cj
I know you breed and I've heard good things about your dogs, so let me ask you a couple questions while you wear your breeder's hat... 1. Do you know when your bitches will come into season (or have a pretty darn good idea)? And 2. what do you do with your in season bitches when they are not under your direct supervision?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue May 10, 2016 7:19 am

Yes, I know when my bitches are in season and yes, I keep them away from the the stud dogs. I have never had a accidental breeding. But they do happen, between hunting parents. My springer shorthair cross was from two very good pheasant dogs the owner did not think he was old enough. He was. There were 10 puppies in her litter and there were some very good bird dogs some pointed some did not but they all got after it. hey also had long healthy lives. Do not look down your nose at mutts there are some very good ones out there.
I have seen dogs breed through the kennel fence. Can not even imagine what that may be like.
The other possibility is that it was not accidental at all. Maybe the owner did it intentionally.
Most dogs from hunting breeds will hunt, how they hunt is the question and bird exposure is the key.
That being said, I paid $50 for mine. But that was a long time ago. I really miss that dog .....................Cj
PS. Sometimes I think we out think ourselves with breeding and training and forget about just having fun with the dog.

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Wed May 11, 2016 7:27 am

Thanks again everyone, we are so excited for our pups arrival! Learning lots on here!

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Fri May 20, 2016 7:44 am

She is finally home! My wife loves her. I'll keep you all posted as to whether she makes a hunting dog or not. (I think i've seen her flash point blowing leaves, but I'm not too sure) she is still so little
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Fri May 20, 2016 8:01 am

Great looking pup.

A Looong time ago we had an oops breeding between a decent brittany and a Millers Showcase daughter. 7 pups, the furry ones we docked tails the slick ones left the tail long. Had a hard time giving them away, ended up keeping 3. Sold one pointer looking female at 2 years of age, solid broke, foot range, for $500. Kept the other two till they passed, great bird dogs.

We tried to buy the female back for twice the money. Doctor we sold her too said she wasn't for sale, best bird dog he'd every owned. We called them Bointers.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Fri May 20, 2016 4:39 pm

ClARKA wrote:She is finally home! My wife loves her. I'll keep you all posted as to whether she makes a hunting dog or not. (I think i've seen her flash point blowing leaves, but I'm not too sure) she is still so little
She's gorgeous. Best luck with her.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sun May 22, 2016 1:42 pm

That's a whole lot of cute in one pup.

Best of luck!

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Tue May 24, 2016 7:00 am

Thanks