New to this

ClARKA

New to this

Post by ClARKA » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi folks, I am completely new to gun dog training. Growing up my family had two brittany's both of which i would have loved to hunt with. I always loved the breed and that leads me to my first question. My wife and I have just put a deposit on a Brittany Springer Cross. I have always loved brittany and have some experience with them. We didn't buy the dog to hunt, but I would love it if she did. Am a crazy to think that this mix would make a good bird dog? Im not sure wether to expect pointing or flushing instincts, given the brit is a pointer and the english springer is a flusher, Any thoughts?

setterpoint

Re: New to this

Post by setterpoint » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:25 pm

hears a though if the dog is a flusher as i think it prob.will be taking arter the springer but will the range be to far out taking after the brit where you cant get a shot but i would hunt the dog and see might make a good one

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:56 pm

ClARKA wrote:Hi folks, I am completely new to gun dog training. Growing up my family had two brittany's both of which i would have loved to hunt with. I always loved the breed and that leads me to my first question. My wife and I have just put a deposit on a Brittany Springer Cross. I have always loved brittany and have some experience with them. We didn't buy the dog to hunt, but I would love it if she did. Am a crazy to think that this mix would make a good bird dog? Im not sure wether to expect pointing or flushing instincts, given the brit is a pointer and the english springer is a flusher, Any thoughts?
Can't hurt to find out; you might get lucky. But don't expect too much. Most bird dogs are carefully bred to do that. It's not the breed; it's the breeding. Further, there is a serious "breed split" in Springers, and if you have one from a (half) pet or show line, you're out of luck. Not good odds, but it can't hurt to hope. How much can you get him out in the field? Lots of bird exposure is your best chance.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:01 pm

I would give up my deposit and go buy a gsp, oh I mean a Brittney.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:38 pm

ClARKA wrote:Hi folks, I am completely new to gun dog training. Growing up my family had two brittany's both of which i would have loved to hunt with. I always loved the breed and that leads me to my first question. My wife and I have just put a deposit on a Brittany Springer Cross. I have always loved brittany and have some experience with them. We didn't buy the dog to hunt, but I would love it if she did. Am a crazy to think that this mix would make a good bird dog? Im not sure wether to expect pointing or flushing instincts, given the brit is a pointer and the english springer is a flusher, Any thoughts?
What are they charging for this mix?

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:48 pm

I wouldn't expect any usable hunting instincts....

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:27 am

the Breeder said both parents were from creditable hunting line.(no real way to know she wasn't lying). My wife and I just got married in November and we just don't have the cash to buy a purebred bird dog. I bought it primarily as a pet, because we both really wanted an active dog. I figured we would try this rout, because i though this cross would be more likely to hunt then some of our other options. The pup is costing us $500.

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:55 am

Can't hurt to find out; you might get lucky. But don't expect too much. Most bird dogs are carefully bred to do that. It's not the breed; it's the breeding. Further, there is a serious "breed split" in Springers, and if you have one from a (half) pet or show line, you're out of luck. Not good odds, but it can't hurt to hope. How much can you get him out in the field? Lots of bird exposure is your best chance.[/quote]

I'm Hoping to get her around birds. I live in northern ontario and the grouse can be pretty thick depending on the year, we usually don't need dogs to hunt them, I'm just hoping that having her nose in the bush will help me walk past fewer birds. I have some wings in the freezer, and I'm going to see about getting some pigeons.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:55 am

A deposit on a...well, what I hope anyway, was an accidental breeding?

As for hunting ability - you just never know. I had a successful pheasant hunt this year with an American Bulldog x Lab/Doberman mix. He's 8 years old and had never been with me on a hunting trip of any kind. I knew he would hunt bc anytime he gets to free run since he was 8 weeks old, he'd flash point and flush everything from field mice to possums. I Wasn't even 100% sure how he'd respond to gunfire. But I knew if I got him in an area with birds, he'd get them in the air for me and since he will retrieve anything I tell him to, I was fairly confident he'd make a go of it. So way to know right now, but if you really want a hunting dog, I'd increase my chances of having a hunting dog - specifically one that hunted the way I wanted to hunt (pointer or flusher?), by actually buying a hunting dog.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:16 pm

You can buy a purebred for $500 quite easily...

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:41 pm

I'm not sure where? I have found nowhere, at least up here that would sell a purebred Britt,or pointer for that. Anyways as long as she makes a good pet, any grouse finding ability will be icing on the cake. One day when we are more settled I want to find a pure bred Brittany

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:56 pm

You can get purebred britts in the Midwest from $300 up. My next litter I'm going to sell for $500 to $600. The litter's 5 generation pedigree(62 dog) will include 20 AKC national champs(5 more dogs with a national placement--just not a 1st), 41 AKC field champions(of which 20 are AKC duals), 17 Hall of Fame brittanys, 5 AKC master hunters, & 6 AKC senior hunters. You just have to look around a little and you can find litters with good field pedigrees that won't break the bank to buy one. :D

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:17 pm

Hhmm, that sounds great, it may add up by the time the puppy makes it to Canada. Paying the exchange and travel cost, and international taxes . Where in the midwest are you? There are only a handful of registered breeders in Ontario, that I could find and puppy price was around $1500 Canadian dollars. do you ever sell pups to Canada, maybe when it's time to invest in a hunting dog i should look south of the border.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:41 pm

Ciarka---
PM sent--should be in your personal messages :D

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:27 pm

ClARKA wrote: One day when we are more settled I want to find a pure bred Brittany
It's just as easy to love a good one. You can find what you want. Remember it's the breeding, not just the breed.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:43 pm

ClARKA wrote:Hhmm, that sounds great, it may add up by the time the puppy makes it to Canada. Paying the exchange and travel cost, and international taxes . Where in the midwest are you? There are only a handful of registered breeders in Ontario, that I could find and puppy price was around $1500 Canadian dollars. do you ever sell pups to Canada, maybe when it's time to invest in a hunting dog i should look south of the border.
I don't know if you've been told this before... But the purchase price of a puppy (even $1500) is the cheapest part of owning a dog. And if this pup doesn't turn out, and you purchase a purebred, hunting dog, then you'll be out even more. Plus well bred dogs make life easier for amateur trainers. Saving you time and money. Plus the lack of major health issues.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:20 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:
ClARKA wrote:Hhmm, that sounds great, it may add up by the time the puppy makes it to Canada. Paying the exchange and travel cost, and international taxes . Where in the midwest are you? There are only a handful of registered breeders in Ontario, that I could find and puppy price was around $1500 Canadian dollars. do you ever sell pups to Canada, maybe when it's time to invest in a hunting dog i should look south of the border.
I don't know if you've been told this before... But the purchase price of a puppy (even $1500) is the cheapest part of owning a dog. And if this pup doesn't turn out, and you purchase a purebred, hunting dog, then you'll be out even more. Plus well bred dogs make life easier for amateur trainers. Saving you time and money. Plus the lack of major health issues.
The cheapest part of a new car is 5the purchase but I see most people buy a Ford or a Cheve instead of a Caddy or Lincoln. And don't see many Volvo even though it is the longest lasting supposedly. I have never understood why dog people always bring this up when it really doesn't natter if you don't have that much in your pocket. Not many banks loan money for pup purchase.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:56 am

ezzy333 wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:
The cheapest part of a new car is 5the purchase but I see most people buy a Ford or a Cheve instead of a Caddy or Lincoln. And don't see many Volvo even though it is the longest lasting supposedly. I have never understood why dog people always bring this up when it really doesn't natter if you don't have that much in your pocket. Not many banks loan money for pup purchase.
My wife went from a Civc to a BMW, operating costs aren't much different.

Purchase price was WAY more.

DougB

Post by DougB » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:14 pm

If both parents were hunters, it will probably hunt. How well will depend on the time you spend with it. Some Springers are bred to hunt, some for show. Both will hunt, but the field dogs will tend to be lots better. The hunting is bred in. Nose, stamina, body shape, instincts. I read on this forum about a Pit Bull learning how to point birds.
A dog with any brains will learn to do what you want. One of my field bred Springers would point at birds she couldn't get to, but otherwise she was an excellent hunter.
Get some feathers or birds to work with and see what you have. If the dog wants to get the birds, it will hunt.

Growing up, I hunted over a lot of excellent dogs that were cross bred, mostly accidental, and had good hunting.

My little ESS male has a date with a tri-color ESS. Good hunting lines both sides. Expect the pups to go for $400 to $500. Lately, designer dogs (accidents) seem to be sselling faster and for more than pure bred.

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks so much, and my wife and i understand the cost of owning a dog, but like others pointed out we didn't have the money sitting around for such a large outright purchase. I'm going to see how she does, I'm told the springer is of the field variety. Is there a way to tell early on if the pup would be more inclined to pointing or flushing?

thanks everyone for your thoughts! i really appreciate it!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:02 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:
This is a ridiculous comparison Ezzy, and you know it. You're talking about $20,000 dollars difference between a moderate car and a high end one. I'm talking about $200, over even if the pup is $1000 difference, it would mean saving for another year or so. It gets brought up because its relevant. If people can't spare a little extra to save up, how can the spare money for kibble or vet care?

I make a modest amount of money, emphasis on the modest, and I have more debt than you could imagine, but I can still easily put $50 bucks away in savings if I need to. Maybe I'm wrong here... I don't know.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:59 pm

I am not judging whether you can afford a 1000 pup or not and I am just trying to point out that neither you nor I am in a position to judge what someone else can afford. It really makes no difference since it is their decision. I do get concerned when people start telling other people what they can afford and what they can't. I wouldn't consider spending 1000 for a 8 wk old puppy even today and I am sure you would say I can afford it. And the only reason I can is because I never did since there was 5 kids to put through school, my retirement years to put money away for, a host of other expenses, and they all came down to my paycheck and no one else. My guns were all used, my cars and trucks were all used, I borrowed every cent I could scrape together and invested it trying to provide. I basically had no debt other than our house and I worked very hard to keep it that way, so laying out a large amount of cash for a pup was something that I wasn't comfortable with. And now 21 years onto retirement I am still praying I don't end up in a nursing home for very long or I still may come up short. The way we could afford our dogs is that I started a breeding, training and boarding kennel that paid the bills and kept 4 boys and a girl off of the streets and out of trouble.

I admit I am old and out of touch wit the modern way but it makes me cringe when I watch the threads on this forum and other places too when people start talking about getting a 2000 dollar gun, or 200 dollars boots every couple of years, 200 dollar hunting vests when I am still using my second 20 dollar vest, my 60 dollar boots, and my Carhart bibs and think how lucky I am to have them. I am not bragging or feeling sorry for myself since I have found that 100 percent of the enjoyment of my life as well as hunting enjoyment has come from the kids I have taught, the friends I have made and shared with, and the animals that we have been able to have and work with and not what or how much I have spent on things.

Yep, I am pretty well off and I thank God for a lot of help. And I still am not going to spend 1000 dollars for a pup nor am I going to spend 500 for a crossbred pup even though it will probably be a good hunter and companion. But that is just me and everyone else can make their own decision on what is important to them.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:42 pm

ClARKA wrote:Thanks so much, and my wife and i understand the cost of owning a dog, but like others pointed out we didn't have the money sitting around for such a large outright purchase. I'm going to see how she does, I'm told the springer is of the field variety. Is there a way to tell early on if the pup would be more inclined to pointing or flushing?

thanks everyone for your thoughts! i really appreciate it!
You might try wing on a string--tie a bird wing on a 5 foot piece of string(If you don't have a wing a small piece of cloth would work). Flop the wing out in front of the dog and twitch it. Both the flushers and pointers will chase it to start with. Don't let her catch it. After a few days of this the pointers will start to creep towards it--the flushers will keep chasing it. A few more days and the pointers will start to flash point it and the flushers will keep trying to flush it. The pointers will eventually hold their points a little longer each time. Usually somewhere between 7 to 14 weeks of age. After you see them point a couple of times, put the wing away--otherwise you will encourage sight pointing birds(you want them to use their noses to find the birds and not their eyes). If you have a lot of birds(robins, etc) that use your back yard, the pointers will sometimes creep and point these birds as well. Just don't encourage them when they do it :roll: otherwise you will have a bird dog that points robins :lol:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:48 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:
This is a ridiculous comparison Ezzy, and you know it. You're talking about $20,000 dollars difference between a moderate car and a high end one. I'm talking about $200, over even if the pup is $1000 difference, it would mean saving for another year or so. It gets brought up because its relevant. If people can't spare a little extra to save up, how can the spare money for kibble or vet care?

I make a modest amount of money, emphasis on the modest, and I have more debt than you could imagine, but I can still easily put $50 bucks away in savings if I need to. Maybe I'm wrong here... I don't know.
Your post is spot on.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:48 am

Sounds like a very frustrating mix - a long ranging springer... but who knows.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:53 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Sounds like a very frustrating mix - a long ranging springer... but who knows.
My thoughts too. Ezzy brought up the car analogy so I'll use another.... It sounds like you're not getting an SUV and you're not get a nice sedan... You're getting a station wagon. And I'm not talking about a Subaru, I'm talking about those crappy ford tarus wagons that is ugly, bulky, and your kids sit backwards in it.

Now I could be completely wrong, but that breeding leaves a lot up to chance, which is the opposite of what good breeding does.

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:23 pm

Well at least we will have a good family dog, and if the stars align I guess I'll have a hunting buddy

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:28 pm

ClARKA wrote:Well at least we will have a good family dog, and if the stars align I guess I'll have a hunting buddy
If you keep your expectations at that then I'm sure you will be fine. Good luck with your pup.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:42 pm

ClARKA wrote:Well at least we will have a good family dog, and if the stars align I guess I'll have a hunting buddy
Yep. And your pup will be the best because he's yours.

I hope I didn't offend you with my posts. That wasn't my intention at all. I was just replying to your original questions and responding to others, but meant nothing personal about your future dog or you.

Good luck and share some pics/vids when you can!

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:07 pm

Haha, it's takes a lot more then that to warrant offence. I'm thankful for everyone's ideas. I knew their would be a lot of wisdom her so thanks all! The purpose was to get a dog, but since I love hunting I have to try!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:16 pm

the best pheasant dog I ever had was a Springer and Shorthair crossbred. sometimes she pointed sometimes she flushed. she was our family dog for seventeen years. We just put her down last summer.
Good luck. She will be great. Be aware some of the full bloods are not that easy to train. It might be a great choice..........................cj

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:06 pm

I've owned lots of flusher/pointer crosses over the last 40 years and all but one made good hunting dogs. Most were flushers, but all were trained to stay in range. I've owned three, a weim/chessie cross, a Lab/Pointer cross and one I have now a GWP/Lab cross that were good steady pointers. My present one will even back. I'd say go for it and get the pup if you like it.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Tue May 03, 2016 7:33 am

OP, your dog will hunt. You might not get a field trial dog, but you will get a dog who will go out and have a nice day plunking around with you and fetch you a few birds.

Instinct is really difficult to breed out of a dog, even when you are trying to do so. There will be hunting instinct there, even if it is not highly honed. My son had 6 pound Papillon who would work birds. Papillons are miniature spaniels and haven't hunted anything for hundreds of years. She still picked it right up, not by being trained, but by following the English Springer and doing what he was doing.

Dogs not bred to be bird dogs can be trained to hunt birds. I know a dozen people who hunt birds with a German Shepherd and at least three people who shoot over a Farm Airedale. Are they stylish? No. But they will find birds, track down dead or injured birds and bring them back.

The only thing that will stop your pup is if the poor thing was born gun shy. It is up to you to introduce loud noises carefully, but still some dogs can't take it.

I am going to agree with everyone else here who recommends a dog carefully bred to do the job. The above mentioned English Springer had 6 generations of pedigree where every ancestor was a British Field Trial Champion. That dog was whelped fully trained. He was stylish and he knew his business. If you enjoy your new pup and find that you can train and work a gun dog, start putting money away for your next pup so that you have the funds to purchase a dog who is bred to do the job. You'll find that there is a huge difference. They will both hunt. The carefully bred dog will be more stylish and easier to train.

(Also, unless there are ridiculous import restrictions, don't be afraid to go further afield to get a dog. Dogs survive flying very well)

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Fri May 06, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks everyone! 3 weeks until we get her!

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Fri May 06, 2016 4:10 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I am not judging whether you can afford a 1000 pup or not and I am just trying to point out that neither you nor I am in a position to judge what someone else can afford. It really makes no difference since it is their decision. I do get concerned when people start telling other people what they can afford and what they can't. I wouldn't consider spending 1000 for a 8 wk old puppy even today and I am sure you would say I can afford it. And the only reason I can is because I never did since there was 5 kids to put through school, my retirement years to put money away for, a host of other expenses, and they all came down to my paycheck and no one else. My guns were all used, my cars and trucks were all used, I borrowed every cent I could scrape together and invested it trying to provide. I basically had no debt other than our house and I worked very hard to keep it that way, so laying out a large amount of cash for a pup was something that I wasn't comfortable with. And now 21 years onto retirement I am still praying I don't end up in a nursing home for very long or I still may come up short. The way we could afford our dogs is that I started a breeding, training and boarding kennel that paid the bills and kept 4 boys and a girl off of the streets and out of trouble.

I admit I am old and out of touch wit the modern way but it makes me cringe when I watch the threads on this forum and other places too when people start talking about getting a 2000 dollar gun, or 200 dollars boots every couple of years, 200 dollar hunting vests when I am still using my second 20 dollar vest, my 60 dollar boots, and my Carhart bibs and think how lucky I am to have them. I am not bragging or feeling sorry for myself since I have found that 100 percent of the enjoyment of my life as well as hunting enjoyment has come from the kids I have taught, the friends I have made and shared with, and the animals that we have been able to have and work with and not what or how much I have spent on things.

Yep, I am pretty well off and I thank God for a lot of help. And I still am not going to spend 1000 dollars for a pup nor am I going to spend 500 for a crossbred pup even though it will probably be a good hunter and companion. But that is just me and everyone else can make their own decision on what is important to them.
Without getting too far back into "The hard knock life", I think that we have to remember that the OP is willing to pay $500 for a cross bred pup that he has questions about. I don't think that it too much to suggest that he may want to save up a few hundred bucks to get a better chance at a good hunting dog. I don't think that he ever said that he was broke.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri May 06, 2016 4:20 pm

I am sure clarka is having some fun with their pet

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat May 07, 2016 7:23 am

If the pup has working parents then it is at least 90% certain to hunt. It may or may not point but it will hunt. I have a Brittany and a springer pup that wants to be a Brittany. He'd range far too far out if I let him but he would not point.

I think the O.P. will just have to suck it and see where pointing is concerned. My present Brittany did not point anything when I first got her. No "wing on a string" ever got her very interested. Not until she encountered pheasants at about 5 months old did she begin to point. The pointing instinct may take a while to emerge in this cross bred pup but if it does emerge it will then be up to the O.P. to nurture it a bit more carefully than is needed with a 100% pointing breed.

If I owned this pup I would train it as I would a spaniel at spaniel hunting ranges until I knew if it would point or not. Spaniels that want to hunt at Brittany ranges are a flippin' nightmare ...... I'm talking from experience !

Bill T.

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Mon May 09, 2016 6:58 am

"Without getting too far back into "The hard knock life", I think that we have to remember that the OP is willing to pay $500 for a cross bred pup that he has questions about. I don't think that it too much to suggest that he may want to save up a few hundred bucks to get a better chance at a good hunting dog. I don't think that he ever said that he was broke.
User avatar"

Well I wouldn't say I'm broke, I've been very blessed, that said there is a lot of student debt to pay off yet, for both my wife and I so money is always an important consideration if we ever want to be debt free. I agree with everyone on here that it would make good sense to save up and but a pure bred dog, and one day I will. That said we both agreed that now was not the time so spend so much. Keeping in mind that price I was quoted over and over was $1500, and I know that $500 sounds steep for a mix, it seems to be the going price, and also $500 Canadian is equal to about 380 dollars american.

I'm really thankful to have found this forum, it as been so helpful! thanks everyone for helping me to get ready for this pup. My wife already loves her puppy and lord willing I will have a new hunting buddy!

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon May 09, 2016 9:29 am

I can't believe they can charge any money for what I hope is a "whoops" breeding. If you want a house dog, you can find those at the shelter for free. If you want a hunting dog and a house dog, get a purebred Brittany. I understand not having lots of money to spend. What I don't understand is spending $500 for a dog that should be free, and then hoping it will hunt. If it doesn't you've just waisted $500 on an animal you should be getting for free, when you can spend the same amount of money for a well bred dog that you know will do both. That makes no sense to me, and seems like a huge waste of money, which is something your worried about. Why take the chance?

I know someone who sells Brittany pups for about $500 U.S. These dogs are extremely well bred with pedigrees that have produced multiple NFC, and RU NFC's dogs. They also make great family dogs. There's several Canadians who travel to the US to trial. It wouldn't take much for them to bring a dog across the boarder. Don't waste $500 on a gamble that might not pay off, when you can spend $500 on a sure thing.

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Mon May 09, 2016 9:37 am

The Humane society in North Bay where i live charges almost $400 to adopt a dog, i guess it was worth the risk, if there's a chance she will make a hunting dog! Picking her up Thursday!
Last edited by ClARKA on Mon May 09, 2016 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:50 am

jetjockey wrote:I can't believe they can charge any money for what I hope is a "whoops" breeding. If you want a house dog, you can find those at the shelter for free. If you want a hunting dog and a house dog, get a purebred Brittany. I understand not having lots of money to spend. What I don't understand is spending $500 for a dog that should be free, and then hoping it will hunt. If it doesn't you've just waisted $500 on an animal you should be getting for free, when you can spend the same amount of money for a well bred dog that you know will do both. That makes no sense to me, and seems like a huge waste of money, which is something your worried about. Why take the chance?

I know someone who sells Brittany pups for about $500 U.S. These dogs are extremely well bred with pedigrees that have produced multiple NFC, and RU NFC's dogs. They also make great family dogs. There's several Canadians who travel to the US to trial. It wouldn't take much for them to bring a dog across the boarder. Don't waste $500 on a gamble that might not pay off, when you can spend $500 on a sure thing.

I agree with a lot of your thinking but two things that keep flying in my face are how are any of us qualified to decide how someone else should spend their money? After all, none of us are in the government and they are the only ones smart enough to do that. And secondly, where did the idea ever come from that a crossbred out of two hunting breeds has any less chance of being a hunter than any purebred? If we want to discuss how it will hunt I can understand, even though none of will know till the pup shows us, but there should be no question about it hunting.

My guess is it will be more of a flusher but you sure won't know till the pup demonstrates its instincts. I had the fun of training a Lab/Brit cross that pointed with somewhat a lack of intensity but had no desire to retrieve. She was a fine little black dog but you had to go to her to retrieve your bird as she would find it and stand over it tell you got there.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon May 09, 2016 10:13 am

By "hoping it will hunt" I ment in a way that you can actually kill birds over the dog. It won't be much fun if the dog runs like a Brit and flushes like a springer. You won't be killing many birds over a dog like that. Why take a chance on an unknow, when for th same price, you can pretty much guarantee getting a great house dog and a good hunting dog.

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Mon May 09, 2016 10:26 am

If the dog as a tendency to flush, but wants to run a long way, is this something i could train out of it? i recognize it's not ideal to work against instinct, but would it possible. In Northern Ontario it is common that both dogs and hunters get very close to grouse. Just wondering so I can be as prepared as possible.

ClARKA

Post by ClARKA » Mon May 09, 2016 10:33 am

Here is a picture!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:54 am

ClARKA wrote:If the dog as a tendency to flush, but wants to run a long way, is this something i could train out of it? i recognize it's not ideal to work against instinct, but would it possible. In Northern Ontario it is common that both dogs and hunters get very close to grouse. Just wondering so I can be as prepared as possible.
Yes, Springers like to run too and they need a large amount of obedience training and this pup will too. Once trained they are wonderful bird dogs.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon May 09, 2016 12:36 pm

Not to worry it will do great. Probably a better choice than a horse back field trial Brittney...................Cj

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon May 09, 2016 12:46 pm

nice looking pup :D

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Mon May 09, 2016 7:09 pm

Yes... CIARKA my expirience with hunting dogs is you can range them in, but can't push them out in range.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon May 09, 2016 7:26 pm

Few things on my mind:

1. Nice looking pup! Have fun and be patient!

2. Ezzy, a field bred springer should have a natural range that's within gun range. The patterning training is meant to polish.

3. Ezzy, you should know with your experience that just because a dog is a "hunting breed" doesn't necessarily mean it will hunt. Now a Brittany springer cross wasn't done purposefully, and if it was, they probably aren't hunting dogs, so that might suggest that this particular mix isn't bred to hunt.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon May 09, 2016 11:07 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Few things on my mind:

1. Nice looking pup! Have fun and be patient!

2. Ezzy, a field bred springer should have a natural range that's within gun range. The patterning training is meant to polish.

3. Ezzy, you should know with your experience that just because a dog is a "hunting breed" doesn't necessarily mean it will hunt. Now a Brittany springer cross wasn't done purposefully, and if it was, they probably aren't hunting dogs, so that might suggest that this particular mix isn't bred to hunt.
2.Most field bred springers I have seen needed to be reined in a bit. No , all of them.
3. Why would you assume a accidental breeding would not be between Hunting dogs, that is a bit of a stretch. Maybe it was not a accidental breeding for all we know. Especially if you have to put a deposit on a $500 pup.
This will probably be a great little dog. I bought quite few papered dogs that were not nearly as good as my cross breed.
Good luck to the OP, you are gonna like your puppy........................Cj