Martin System Tracking Collar

Gertie

Martin System Tracking Collar

Post by Gertie » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:33 pm

Has anyone, particularly those of you from across the pond, used this system? I understand this is a Belgian product and I heard about it while reading a wildlife study in Africa. The website claims that the tracking system utilizes both GPS and UHF signals and it guarantees to be able to locate up to 38 miles. I'm very interested in hearing if anyone has any experience with it and what they think. Thanks in advance for your input. http://www.martinsystem.com/index.php?l ... =mps-chien

greg jacobs

Re: Martin System Tracking Collar

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:52 pm

Sounds interesting. My alpha works good but it makes me nervous in the rugged tree covered areas. Didn't see availability or prices on there web sight.

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:28 am

Definitely looking forward to finding out more about this unit.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:24 am

So I've been emailing back and forth and with these folks and am intrigued. The price for the handheld unit, collar, and charging setup is $977 + shipping. Each additional collar is $356 + shipping. They have a two year warranty against all manufacturing defects and they have a goal of having all repairs completed within 48 hours. That said, any servicing would require shipping the unit back to Belgium (which is a pain). I definitely interested as this unit utilizes both GPS and UHF which may help to alleviate some of the problems I have with losing my dogs in the steep country where the Garmin loses signal. They sent me a copy of their catalog and if any of you are interested you can shoot me a PM with your email address and I can email it to you. However, here are the specs they are quoting in the catalog:

Range up to 38 miles in free field
Possibility of tracking up to 32 dogs simultaneously
Memory-free rechargeable battery
48 hour operational battery life
Small antenna
Very strong receiver case
Small transmitting antenna (2x6 cm)
Ultra-sensitive GPS
Free app for Android tablets -not sure if they charge for iOS app or if they just don't have one, looking into it

In the catalog it pictures a handheld telemetry antenna similar to a Marshall unit. I'm assuming that antenna would only be utilized when needed and not all the time but have asked the question and am awaiting a reply. I'll keep y'all posted. Interesting...
Last edited by Gertie on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:48 am

There is another European company with a similar tele/GPS product that I for the life of me cannot find to post the link. That system "seemed" FWIW more robust and functional than the Martin system...actually kind of looked like a Tracker receiver. If I can find it I will post it.

My take home however after researching them was to just stick with my telemetry units - it just plain works, simple, 'nuff said.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:56 am

Found it - http://www.tinyloc.com/en/hunting-dogs.htm

This system is actually pretty dang cool...in theory. Receiver very similar to a Tracker receiver with built in H-type antennae and a port for attaching multi element yagi if desired. I don't know in US dollars what it costs or if the frequencies are allowed in US...???

Interesting video tutorials: http://www.tinyloc.com/en/tinyloc/videos.htm
Last edited by DGFavor on Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:13 pm

Thanks Doc. I posted the Martin unit on a birddog FB page and someone replied that Marshall may be coming out with a UHF/GPS unit this year as well. I've been considering a Marshall for a while but will admit to really liking the topo map interface options available with the Garmin (in spite of the relatively constant "Lost Communication With Gertie" beeps). Toys... :lol: