Training Lease

JSpradley

Training Lease

Post by JSpradley » Wed May 04, 2016 2:26 pm

Looking for "Ball Park" figures on what training leases run these days. Say, 1,000+ acres that would accommodate horseback training with wild birds and also the same piece of ground with no wild birds. Just curious...Not looking for names or the exact price of anyone's lease. Thanks.

GSP4ME

Re: Training Lease

Post by GSP4ME » Fri May 06, 2016 11:55 am

This is going to depend and vary largely depending on where in the country the land is and what else it may be used for. If you're leasing land that the owner could lease to hunters, farmers, etc. you're going to pay more than if it's land the owner uses only for his own personal use - crops, cattle, etc. As such, I just don't think there's a way to ballpark something like this without knowing the going rate for land in your specific area.

GunDogAdventures

Re: Training Lease

Post by GunDogAdventures » Sat May 07, 2016 5:34 pm

In north Texas there are 3 different areas of National Grasslands that different clubs use to conduct hunt tests and trials at - you can ride behind your dogs there for no cost. There is a smaller NBHA lease - more for walking trial and NSTRA trial training that costs $150/yr. Last year, I looked into a place that had ~300+ ac that was asking $350/yr + birds. Our trainer has an open invitation for us to come up and run dogs any time our dogs are with him....cost is a monthly training fee X # of months with the trainer. So, as you can see, there are numerous options. Join a club and ask members. That will be your best resource.