Has anyone ever put a dog on a plane?

Jubilee

Has anyone ever put a dog on a plane?

Post by Jubilee » Fri May 13, 2016 10:44 am

Pretty simple question. What all does one need? I'm doing a little research and one thing that has me a bit stumped is the "Health Certificate" from a vet. I realize the dog needs to be checked by a vet to make sure it will be ok to fly, but what all does this certificate have on it? When I spoke with our vet about it, she doesn't do a "federally mandated" form as far as when she is giving the dog a check-up/once over. But she had never put one on a plane before either, to know if her "normal" check-up/clean bill of health is enough or if there is a certain form that needs to be filled out?

Moulders Farm

Re: Has anyone ever put a dog on a plane?

Post by Moulders Farm » Fri May 13, 2016 11:49 am

I have had 2 or 3 puppys & one a yr. old that the new owners flue in & picked up All I did was go to my vet. He did a full check up & had a form for the aport real smiple that he filled out here in Mo. & the people had a small animal or hand bag thay put the puppys in & carried it on the plane in Kanasa City MO. as hand bagges & halt them on there lap the hole flight . But that was a couple of yrs. ago with the new rules O)boma keeps making up you need to call the air port The puppys can not fly in bag compartment tell so old The one yr old the people had there own plane & just put her in the back seat in a dog cage

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Fri May 13, 2016 11:52 am

** Edit ** All the below was assuming the OP was talking about shipping the dog, not taking it into the passenger compartment. I have no idea what all that entails.

A Health Certificate is a fairly normal thing required for animals traveling between states. The laws do vary from state to state however. Some states exempt domestic animals such as dogs and cats and others may provide an exemption if they will be in the state less than so many days, etc. The certificate is essentially a statement made by the vet that the animal is disease free and up to date on whatever required vaccinations their species has. It will have vaccination dates, test results if any are required, and the vet's signature.

Here is a link of the requirements by state. The airlines can also have their own requirements though.

https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/StateAndL ... 0Chart.pdf

The other thing you will need is an airline approved crate. Typically any plastic type crate with solid bottom and ventilated top, with a secure closure will be fine. The animal must have room to stand, lay down, and turn around inside the crate.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri May 13, 2016 12:42 pm

Some folks have a passport and should never fly .

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri May 13, 2016 12:55 pm

nhachman wrote:The other thing you will need is an airline approved crate. Typically any plastic type crate with solid bottom and ventilated top, with a secure closure will be fine. The animal must have room to stand, lay down, and turn around inside the crate.
I've flown mine a couple of times and you will also need at least one dish (for water) that attaches to the crate (http://www.amazon.com/Crate-Bowl-Water- ... +for+crate). When mine fly I send them with two dishes and I tape some food in a bag to the crate just in case the dog was delayed for some reason. You can also tape a bag with a couple of treats in it so airline staff can make friends if they need to leash your dog and take it for a walk. You'll also have to either find stickers that say "Live Animal" or write it on the crate (that's what I did) with arrows pointing "up". Not sure why that would be difficult to figure out but whatever...

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Fri May 13, 2016 5:32 pm

Adult dog?

The airlines basically wants a certificate from the vet that the dog is healthy enough to fly. Also, a valid rabies vaccination, which can be noted on the health certificate (puppies under 4 months don't need the rabies shot verify that).

I'm a bit surprised that your vet doesn't know how to write a health certificate. Have your vet call the AAFES USDA vet for your state and inquire as to what paperwork to use.

Dogs fly well. The airline will have a crate requirement, ask them. I recommend the doskosil crate because it is taller in proportion with more head room.

If the dog flies without you,, it goes to the cargo building. If it is flying accompanied baggage, it checks in with your luggage. Verify all of that with the airline. You will probably have to take the dog out of the crate to have the crate examined.

The dog ships with a water cup inside the crate and a bottle of water and small bag of food taped to the out side of the crate.

If the dog will be crossing into another country, it will have more requirements.. Have your vet check with the AAFES USDA vet for your state for the latest update.

Don't use expensive bedding, if the dog fouls the crate, it will probably get thrown away.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri May 13, 2016 7:02 pm

In Nebraska, a copy of the health certificate is sent in by the vet to the state office. A copy the airlines will keep. You get a copy of it. A copy is fastened to the crate with the pup. It has to be WITHIN a week of when the pup is flown. It will include date of birth(pup has to be at least 8 weeks old to fly), Breed, sex, vacinations it has received(under rabies vet has to say too young for rabies). It will also say reason for travel(for sale), way in which it will travel(air, car, etc.)), Who is sending the pup along with address & phone number. Who the pup is going to, along with their address and phone number(2 phone numbers for them is better). From the airline you will get a form that asks when was the last time fed & last time watered--this will be attached to the crate. If you can fly the pup United--they will fly the pup no matter the temperature(they keep their animals climately controlled so they don't overheat or get too cold). Other airlines you have to make sure the temperature is under a certain temp(85 deg--I think) WHERE EVER they come down for plane transfers(you will very seldom have a direct flight with no stops). Most pups are flown cargo so you have to schedule about a week early with the airline. Get to the cargo area about 1 1/2 to two hours before the flight. Most cargo flights you have to go to their feight area(different then your passenger area). Call your air freight and they will tell you what you need and where you should take the pup. Also find out where the pup can be picked up at it's destination by the new owners and what they need to pick it up(drivers lic, etc.)
PUP HAS TO BE SENT IN AN AIRLINE APPROVED CRATE(vented sides with water dish & WITH THIS SIDE UP STICKERS ATTACHED TO CRATE--airlines will have these)
TALK TO THE AIRLINE FREIGHT PEOPLE--they can walk you through it :D