I just leave this here..

asc

I just leave this here..

Post by asc » Sun May 29, 2016 8:36 pm

Please pause this weekend (or any time) to reflect on why we enjoy our freedom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: I just leave this here..

Post by ezzy333 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:44 am

Amen

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon May 30, 2016 6:50 am

For sure.
Pretty sobering pictures.

MGIII

I just leave this here..

Post by MGIII » Mon May 30, 2016 10:08 am

Amen

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Mon May 30, 2016 4:44 pm

amen

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:56 am

When I graduated high school, my dad put me on a bus and sent me to DC to spend a few weeks with a cousin in The State Department (back when it was respectable). He took me all over and it was memorable---Archives, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (as it was called), monuments, White House, Capitol.. .but what I won't forget was Arlington National Cemetery.

If you've got or know a kid, it will be remembered by him, too. And should be.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 31, 2016 3:22 pm

My Father was overseas 6 years in WW2. He came back but was never himself again. Even though you are speaking of the American Memorial Day and Arlington , it touches me just the same.

asc

Post by asc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:55 pm

Sharon wrote:My Father was overseas 6 years in WW2. He came back but was never himself again. Even though you are speaking of the American Memorial Day and Arlington , it touches me just the same.
Didn't mean to leave y'all out...

My Father was European theater WW2, he really never said much about it.

cwa1104sab

Post by cwa1104sab » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:21 pm

God Bless.

Just a quick one...I'm a lineman. I was working in someones back yard recently. I always talk to the homeowners, I love their stories plus it's just the right thing to do, talk to people. The wife lets us in the yard. I'm about to go up the pole and an old timer comes out...I go over and start talking to him. The gentleman was a WWII vet. 101 airborn. Dropped all over the ETO. got frostbite after having to spend a night in a field, lost part of his left foot to it. Got shot on his way down, jumped into D-Day. Guy was a complete and total hero. Yet so many saw him simply as an old man. He still loved his wife daily. I left the yard, went and got donuts and coffee for him and his wife and sat with him for 2 hours before starting to work. The man was a walking, living, breathing, hero and history book who came back to our country, became a butcher and lived out his live quietly yet continuing to do the right thing. That was about 3 years ago but I never forgot that. Every time I see someone with a cap that has any branch of the military on it I ask if they served. If they did I simply shake their hand and say thank you sir and walk away. Try it sometime, you'll see some proud people after that.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:15 pm

Thank you. So true .. not just old men

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:25 am

cwa1104sab wrote:God Bless.

Just a quick one...I'm a lineman. I was working in someones back yard recently. I always talk to the homeowners, I love their stories plus it's just the right thing to do, talk to people. The wife lets us in the yard. I'm about to go up the pole and an old timer comes out...I go over and start talking to him. The gentleman was a WWII vet. 101 airborn. Dropped all over the ETO. got frostbite after having to spend a night in a field, lost part of his left foot to it. Got shot on his way down, jumped into D-Day. Guy was a complete and total hero. Yet so many saw him simply as an old man. He still loved his wife daily. I left the yard, went and got donuts and coffee for him and his wife and sat with him for 2 hours before starting to work. The man was a walking, living, breathing, hero and history book who came back to our country, became a butcher and lived out his live quietly yet continuing to do the right thing. That was about 3 years ago but I never forgot that. Every time I see someone with a cap that has any branch of the military on it I ask if they served. If they did I simply shake their hand and say thank you sir and walk away. Try it sometime, you'll see some proud people after that.
Great story. Nice of you to recognize the man for what he was, and to acknowledge his service and sacrifice. I too try to thank any vet I see wearing a cap, and have raised my kids to do the same.

When I think of the guys who fought through terrible conditions in WW2, suffered so horribly in the Korean cold, sweated and fought in the jungles of Viet Nam (then came home and were spat upon by those they fought for) or took part in the conflicts in the Middle East, I'm very grateful. A big thank you to all of the veterans who frequent this forum. Have a happy fourth, and may God bless you and yours.