GWP eats the doggy door flap

powbass@gmail.com

GWP eats the doggy door flap

Post by powbass@gmail.com » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:41 pm

My spoiled GWP Eats, tears the plastic doggy door flap when left alone, At $25 a pop I have to find a cure. He has access to the house via a doggy door from his kennel. He is ok as long as I am close by. Do they make a steel door flap? I have a kennel
crate just inside the house. that I close when I am gone. Open to any ideas.

Meades

Re: GWP eats the doggy door flap

Post by Meades » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:23 pm

K-9 kondos

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:38 pm

Bitter Apple Chew Deterrent

Apply liberally and daily until habit is broken.

Worth a serious try.

http://www.amazon.com/Grannicks-Bitter- ... B0006G5REC

OR gel (also at Amazon)

http://pets.webmd.com/taste-deterrents

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:00 pm

We always make ours out of old belting from a round baler. Every rancher/farmer with a round baler has some old stuff that he should have no problem parting with. :D

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:25 pm

powbass@gmail.com wrote:My spoiled GWP Eats, tears the plastic doggy door flap when left alone, At $25 a pop I have to find a cure. He has access to the house via a doggy door from his kennel. He is ok as long as I am close by. Do they make a steel door flap? I have a kennel
crate just inside the house. that I close when I am gone. Open to any ideas.
I have always found over the last 45 years that all dogs don't chew either concrete or steel.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:37 am

You might try, in conjunction with bitter apple, to frame the outside edges of the doggie door in metal "C" channel.

Most of the stuff I have seen is aluminum, but there is some stuff that is stainless or chrome. If the dog is determined to chew, you could put a sheet metal screw through the channel, or just the door material every couple inches. That should discourage the chewing significantly.

RayG

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:50 pm

Yes, there is a steel flap dog door. It has two flaps, the dog must lift one up . Not that it does you any good because I can't for the life of me remember what it is called.

I always wanted one, but they are expensive and I've never had a dog that chewed door flaps. If you go over to a schutzhund site, they will know what it is called or it might come up as an ad on that sort of forum.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:01 pm

Adding, if you are handy, you could probably build one. It is a two flap system. The doors are slanted and don't hang straight down. The contraption is narrow at the top where the doors are hinged and wide at the bottom, so the doors work on gravity. The flaps are closer together at the hinges and wider apart at the bottom of the flap. The dog lifts the first flap with his nose, and pushes the second flap open.