Strap Vest recommendation

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:47 pm

I am in the market for a new vest for pheasant hunting/ guiding. I am looking at a Q5 Centerfire, a Wing Works, and the Browning Bird n Lite strap vest. I guide about 20 days a year on a preserve, liberal limits, so I need something that will carry allot of birds and is easy to load. Mainly hunt row crop strips, but some CRP is possible. Any experiences with any of these vest are appreciated.

reba

Re: Strap Vest recommendation

Post by reba » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Wing Works is the best strap vest.

How many pheasants do you want to carry?

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:20 pm

now i don't guide, but i do some longer hunting outings while we were in michigan, and the filson guide strap vest is one of my all time favorites. it tends to run a little warm but it fits really nicely and is super durable. it has a spot for a water bladder and can hold a lot of birds I've had ten in there while hunting with my buddies and we had room for more. just my two cents.

cam and bruno

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:01 pm

The more birds the better. I usually have a game holder on my belt as well. I can typically have 10 to 15 birds on me at the end of a push.

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:39 pm

Q5 hands down. I love my Q5 centerfire. I can load it up and hunt for hours without it hurting or wearing out my back. Plenty of room for birds.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:19 pm

I like bucks bags. Extremely comfortable and good fit. Wears like a back pack with chest belt and waist belt.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:09 am

http://www.orvis.com/p/waxed-cotton-strap-vest/6y15

I have owned this vest for the last 5 years and it performs flawlessly.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:08 am

Bucks Bags. Designed by chukar hunters to wear all day and carry everything necessary in comfort.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:49 pm

MSU Aggie wrote:I am in the market for a new vest for pheasant hunting/ guiding. I am looking at a Q5 Centerfire, a Wing Works, and the Browning Bird n Lite strap vest. I guide about 20 days a year on a preserve, liberal limits, so I need something that will carry allot of birds and is easy to load. Mainly hunt row crop strips, but some CRP is possible. Any experiences with any of these vest are appreciated.
I don't know...I never want to own a vest to carry 35# or so of birds.
I would consider hiring a young strapping high school lad or lass who wants to be part of the process...maybe, for a few shekels or a chance to pop a bird.
At minimum, I would consider a bird drop.

My own strap vest is a Filson, sans blaze orange and the fabric treatment(for coolness).
It would not easily carry 35# of pheasants and loading would eventually encounter difficulties, as well.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:19 pm

It's not bad and it's not all day. It's only for 45 min at a shot.

nwnick

Post by nwnick » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:40 pm

I own both a WingWorks and a Filson. The WW is by far my favorite for all day hunting. I can pack more stuff in it. More ammo, water and there's plenty of places to tie off clothing as you strip during the day. It's a heavy duty vest made for heavy duty hunting. I don't think I'll ever wear this thing out.
Short excursions the Filson usually gets the nod. Lighter weight not quite as much storage. I also use it when I'm training because of the lighter weight and I don't pack much when training..
I dont think you can go wrong either way