Go Pro footage of NSTRA trial

nhachman

Go Pro footage of NSTRA trial

Post by nhachman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:44 pm

So I picked up a used 1st generation Go Pro real cheap and wore it during a couple of the trials about two weeks ago. The quality came out good, but having it mounted on my chest was not optimal for capturing the shot at the bird or the retrieve to hand. I think I'll work on getting the head mount adjusted to be comfortable and see how that works in the training field.

Here is my 2 year old running his first NSTRA trial. It's edited down to just show the breakaway and his 2 finds. The first bird did not fly, and when thrown then got it's wings and flew over him when he was not expecting it to so prepare to laugh when that happens.

https://youtu.be/7lKcI0fhY8c

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Go Pro footage of NSTRA trial

Post by DonF » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:04 pm

You need someone walking along behind you shooting. Love the part of your dog with the thrown bird! love seeing a dog having fun.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:40 pm

Having a camera man would be the optimal solution, but without some sort of special authorization that wouldn't be allowed in a live trial. I wonder how they would feel about a drone though? :D

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Great stuff. Thanks for posting it.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:29 pm

Good job Nick. Looks like Waverly had a fair amount of rain. Those fields can be some wet ones. I've run on them a few times myself.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:28 am

Wet indeed, you would have had to have hip waders on to keep from getting wet up to your waist on A field that Saturday morning.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:59 am

nhachman wrote:Having a camera man would be the optimal solution, but without some sort of special authorization that wouldn't be allowed in a live trial. I wonder how they would feel about a drone though? :D
Drone might be a good idea, I haven't a clue how to use one though! When I ran NSTRA, one person was allowed to go out with the handler as a guest. One time someone went out and video'd a trial from 4 wheeler. Bad part of that was the guy taking the video got shot in the butt! About a year ago i was out near Condon, Ore at a trial and wanted to get some photo's in the field. I asked the judge's about it and was told that I could if I had a red vest. Went to the Regional this spring and forgot the "bleep" vest again. Red vest is a good idea. My bird vest is one I bought years ago just for judging. Had I taken the trailer and spent the night, I have two vest's in there. Next time!

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:48 pm

That's a lovely pup, nhachman. It looks like he is enjoying his work and that reflects well on your training.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:51 pm

nhachman wrote:........Drone might be a good idea,........
[/quote]

I wonder about a drone, since a bird dog should be interested in anything flying low over his head. I want my dog watching birds.

I suppose with a little extra training, a dog could get used to a drone and learn to ignore it.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:13 am

oregon woodsmoke wrote:
nhachman wrote:........Drone might be a good idea,........
I wonder about a drone, since a bird dog should be interested in anything flying low over his head. I want my dog watching birds.

I suppose with a little extra training, a dog could get used to a drone and learn to ignore it.[/quote]

Yeah, I was suggesting the drone with tongue firmly in cheek. I have been around the big ones that can handle a camera and when they are flying low they are noisy and would be quite distracting. At one point in this trial, there was a situation when a dog was working a blind retrieve when a helicopter flew over nearby and completely distracted the dog from his work. The handler ended up moving on and leaving the retrieve opportunity.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:05 pm

nhachman wrote:......Yeah, I was suggesting the drone with tongue firmly in cheek. I have been around the big ones that can handle a camera and when they are flying low they are noisy and would be quite distracting. .........
I did wonder about the wisdom of flying a drone in an area where so many people are carrying a shotgun.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:09 am

I decided to try for a video of the dog's a few days ago, took them with my DSLR. What a trip! I didn't get anything worth looking at! Then took them out that evening and left the camera. Srotmy went by his second bird flying. He was only a couple yards from the bird and picked it up as he went past. He did a 180 in mid air and when he landed, nothing on him was moving, he was locked up! Well, almost nothing was moving but he slid backwards maybe 10 inch's before he was stopped. Until I can get someone else to run the camera in video mode, I think I'll give it up! Still's work fine!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:28 am

DonF wrote:He did a 180 in mid air and when he landed, nothing on him was moving, he was locked up! Well, almost nothing was moving but he slid backwards maybe 10 inch's before he was stopped.
That is one of the most awesome things to witness with pointing dogs. Congrats on having a dog who will do it, and kudos to being able to witness it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:37 am

slistoe wrote:
DonF wrote:He did a 180 in mid air and when he landed, nothing on him was moving, he was locked up! Well, almost nothing was moving but he slid backwards maybe 10 inch's before he was stopped.
That is one of the most awesome things to witness with pointing dogs. Congrats on having a dog who will do it, and kudos to being able to witness it.
I had a pup do that in a JH test and it will be vivid in my mind forever. Had a female several years ago jump a small creek with chunks of sod in the middle of it and she went on point while in mid-air and came down on that chunk of sod with a pheasant squarely under her. Why do you never have a camera when you want it though the memories will always remain. I really think that is the ultimate thrill of bird hunting with pointing dogs.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:28 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
slistoe wrote:
I had a pup do that in a JH test and it will be vivid in my mind forever. Had a female several years ago jump a small creek with chunks of sod in the middle of it and she went on point while in mid-air and came down on that chunk of sod with a pheasant squarely under her. Why do you never have a camera when you want it though the memories will always remain. I really think that is the ultimate thrill of bird hunting with pointing dogs.
I would guess that that bird was awfully close to your dog. I had a Shorthair years ago that came by a training bird so fast she couldn't stop. She tried but went head oveer heels. Did a complete 360 and came up on point! Every dog I've seen do that snap point has been awfully close to the bird and hit it cross wind.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:19 pm

good video. I can relate. The game is very fast paced. How many acres are in the fields in Nebraska?

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:11 pm

At Rock Creek, A field is 35 acres, B field is 26 acres. This video was of B field.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:31 pm

nhachman wrote:At Rock Creek, A field is 35 acres, B field is 26 acres. This video was of B field.
I thought they were a little larger than that but I did a Google Map calculation of the fields and that's about what they are. Up here in the Mid-North Region our field tend to be closer to 40 acres each.