South Dakota / ND self guided help

GCG

South Dakota / ND self guided help

Post by GCG » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:10 am

I am looking to go to the Huron to Pierre or Chamberlain to Gregory area in the third week of November. I am trying to find a private land owner who has small to reasonable parcels that are leased out for a daily rate for two-three days.
It is just my family ( wife, 70 y.o.father, & our dog) so the giant public CRP & WIA lands are out. I tried the chamber of comm. & fish & wildlife in Chamberlain & neither could give a recommendation or had a list of landowners.
We don't need a fancy lodge, with meals, bird cleaning or other amenities, just want land access as we like staying at the local motels & restaurants. I would consider N.D. if it was reasonable but would like to stay within 6 hr drive of Minneapolis
If anyone has a suggestion or has the name of someone that they would be willing to share through an pm it would be greatly appreciated.

cwa1104sab

Re: South Dakota / ND self guided help

Post by cwa1104sab » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:02 pm

Just a thought, and I don't know if it's the same as Wyoming but...about 5 or 8 years ago when I had been to Wy for antelope and realized that it was a relatively easy hunt and I didn't need to pay guide fees and for them to feed me and put me up I wrote to the Wy dept of fish and game and they had a list of land owners through out the state that allowed hunters for a trespass fee. Some allowed you to hunt for deer, some antelope some both or just prairie dogs. Some pieces were 100 acres and some were 4000 acres or next to BLM land etc. Point is, with a lot of foot work, time and calls and old fashion letters mailed to people I found a place to hunt antelope. Stayed in a small motel, ate at a local mom and pop store and had a great time and a great hunt. You might try doing the same. I don't know if S.D. or N.D keeps such a list for the public but I didn't know that Wy did either until I tried... just a thought good luck

Sab

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:46 pm

South Dakota publishes an Atlas of public hunting ground and walk in areas. There are typically smaller areas that are good for what you describe. Also many of the larger areas have small breaks or shelter belts that can be hunted with small groups.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:55 am

I know of a guy who does semi-guided hunts on Indian land near Winner. $50 per day per person and he takes you around to the land and let's you hunt while he stays in the truck. I was going to try it out last year and couldn't make it work. PM me if your interested.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:47 am

A lot of the walkins and crps are not huge. Most towns have people who let you hunt for a fee. usually the convenience stores have posters or know who the people are. Some are reasonable and some are not. Also the atlas that shows public land. I have never paid to hunt so I do not know about the hunting on these leases. I have a problem paying $100 a day per gun for three birds per gun. Public is always a crap shoot. The Redfield area is generally quite good. Not what it once was. The CRP is down but there is a good amount of public land and not too far from the cities. Good luck...................Cj

GCG

Post by GCG » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:32 am

CJ, While I agree with you premise of have to pay for land to hunt I'm at a point where its a trade off. If it was just me & the dog I would just hunt the public & thick stuff, but after the flying, car, rental, & trying to get my old man to be able to shoot a few birds over our dog its worth it. I like the idea of trying the convenience stores but if I strike out i just can't try again in a couple weeks. Thanks for the suggestions & I'll let you know what I find. If nothing else I can always try the old fashion way & knock on some doors & ask.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:09 pm

Full disclosure: Huron sponsors my show, but I also hunt there for fun a lot. They've got a good system for hooking you up with landowners who lease by the day, offer guiding, and they also have a big supply of public and private land open to hunt free. Go to hunthuronsd.com and fill in the form - they will take care of you.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:14 am

GCG wrote:CJ, While I agree with you premise of have to pay for land to hunt I'm at a point where its a trade off. If it was just me & the dog I would just hunt the public & thick stuff, but after the flying, car, rental, & trying to get my old man to be able to shoot a few birds over our dog its worth it. I like the idea of trying the convenience stores but if I strike out i just can't try again in a couple weeks. Thanks for the suggestions & I'll let you know what I find. If nothing else I can always try the old fashion way & knock on some doors & ask.
I hear you. I definitely have a different situation.
Some private lodges put together large groups and drive the birds toward the shooters.You do not need that. Not much dog work. Your best bet for your family is private land where you can hunt on your own. Some is very good. Talk to Otto's in the Tulare area. I have not had a lot of luck knocking on doors. Hunting land is just too much of a asset to give away. Good luck..........................Cj