Trip to Wyoming or Montana

powbass@gmail.com

Trip to Wyoming or Montana

Post by powbass@gmail.com » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:12 pm

Am thinking about scouting out places to hunt with the dog in Montana or Wyoming. Don't know where to start, Do I go to beer joints in small towns or sporting good stores,local DFG. Seems like I should find some dog people. I am just alone with the
dog. Thanks for any reply:

Dakotazeb

Re: Trip to Wyoming or Montana

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:53 pm

Depending on what you are looking to hunt I would go to Montana as I believe they have populations of upland birds. Sharptails, Huns, pheasants, etc. Montana also has a lot of Block Management hunting areas open to public hunting. Here's their web site:

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/default.html

I've never hunted Montana but hope to make a trip out to eastern Montana in September for some Sharpies and Huns.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:27 pm

Yep, Montana for easiest public access to private land and plenty of public ground. Do your homework on the Block Mgt. scheme well in advance - many places only allow a few hunters per day and you can usually reserve your dates. See you there.

mask

Post by mask » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:48 am

PM sent. If you go let me know we hunt in Montana, ND, and Canada most every year. Stay away from the book Wing shooters guide to Montana guide like the plague.

Leeza

Post by Leeza » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:07 pm

Some of it depends on what you are into and how much time you have. Higher bird numbers in MT creates more hunting pressure because of that fact. There are birds in northern WY that see very few hunters as it is not known for upland. If you want a scheduled hunt with lots of potential birds, try MT block management or roll the dice with getting permission for access. And make peace with the fact that there are a lot of leases that will be unavailable. if you prefer a less structured hunt, the public land chukars in WY might be a better choice. My best advice is go early and make friends. Pheasant access is really tough anywhere and landowners get inundated with hunters, don't wait until Oct. to try for it. Public lands Huns, sharpies and chukars are a good way to start there and you may prefer it. Good luck and good hunting!

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:11 pm

Leeza wrote:Some of it depends on what you are into and how much time you have. Higher bird numbers in MT creates more hunting pressure because of that fact. There are birds in northern WY that see very few hunters as it is not known for upland. If you want a scheduled hunt with lots of potential birds, try MT block management or roll the dice with getting permission for access. And make peace with the fact that there are a lot of leases that will be unavailable. if you prefer a less structured hunt, the public land chukars in WY might be a better choice. My best advice is go early and make friends. Pheasant access is really tough anywhere and landowners get inundated with hunters, don't wait until Oct. to try for it. Public lands Huns, sharpies and chukars are a good way to start there and you may prefer it. Good luck and good hunting!
A+

cwa1104sab

Post by cwa1104sab » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:09 pm

I just posted this is another thread and it's about antelope and deer but I don't see why you couldn't do the same with birds in Wy. BTW, I hunted in north eastern Wy. Tons of private land, in fact most of it was private land but I found everyone very pleasant and easy to talk to.

Just a thought, and I don't know if it's the same as Wyoming but...about 5 or 8 years ago when I had been to Wy for antelope and realized that it was a relatively easy hunt and I didn't need to pay guide fees and for them to feed me and put me up I wrote to the Wy dept of fish and game and they had a list of land owners through out the state that allowed hunters for a trespass fee. Some allowed you to hunt for deer, some antelope some both or just prairie dogs. Some pieces were 100 acres and some were 4000 acres or next to BLM land etc. Point is, with a lot of foot work, time and calls and old fashion letters mailed to people I found a place to hunt antelope. Stayed in a small motel, ate at a local mom and pop store and had a great time and a great hunt. You might try doing the same. I don't know if S.D. or N.D keeps such a list for the public but I didn't know that Wy did either until I tried... just a thought good luck

Sab