must have gear

DeLo727

must have gear

Post by DeLo727 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Im an admitted gear junkie. As a fly fishing and hunting guide I'm always carrying around a few gadgets, clothes, etc that I don't see myself without. I was wondering what hunting or dog gear you have that you wouldn't go without. Not including collars, everyday necessities etc.

Scott Linden

Re: must have gear

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Tethers,lanyards and similar gizmos to keep all these from falling out or getting lost: whistle, GPS, compass, e-collar, blank pistol, camera.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:24 am

DSLR :D

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:57 am

An extra set of keys fastened inside the pocket of every vest that I own.

Mike

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:36 am

For carrying in the vest.....nylon stocking segment for dog ear cuts, EMT gel, honey packet, sterile eye wash, small knife.
I avoid gadgets and gizmos....so the above may be considered "every day necessities".

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:53 pm

cool ideas guys! maybe I'm ignorant, but whats the honey for?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:11 pm

A friend once had a setter with issues re hypoglycemia....the honey packet is an easy wasy to carry a product that could help...just rubbing on the gums can make a difference, to me.
The small packets from Chick-fil-a are convenient and I still tote a couple....dogs seem to like a lick, regardless.
There are other options...I prefer the honey packet.

In this day and age, I also carry a couple 3" plastic zipties in case of a conibear incident.....the odds are against release in time but the large zipties are THE best way to deal with a conibear....quickly.

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:58 pm

Mountaineer wrote:A friend once had a setter with issues re hypoglycemia....the honey packet is an easy wasy to carry a product that could help...just rubbing on the gums can make a difference, to
In this day and age, I also carry a couple 3" plastic zipties in case of a conibear incident.....the odds are against release in time but the large zipties are THE best way to deal with a conibear....quickly.
Fantastic, this is a huge takeaway from this post

Bigdon

Post by Bigdon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:13 pm

If you hunt desert bring a large stiff comb. Great for removing cholla cactus from dog.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:15 am

Mountaineer wrote:A friend once had a setter with issues re hypoglycemia....the honey packet is an easy wasy to carry a product that could help...just rubbing on the gums can make a difference, to me.
The small packets from Chick-fil-a are convenient and I still tote a couple....dogs seem to like a lick, regardless.
There are other options...I prefer the honey packet.

What are the zip-ties used for? I'm not an anti trapper by any means but I can't believe you folks have to deal with bodygrips set on land. They should be set in water or elevated in pole sets. What horror some hunters have had to endure.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:11 am

The possibility of encountering a land set conibear is quite, quite low....still, I saw one box set conibear next to a parking area of a KS WIHA...it was baited with an old hunk of bacon.
I have also seen other traps set next to parking areas on Pennsylvania gamelands.
It sadly happens....ssimply wise to be both alert and to be prepared to ....try.

I also value true professional and so, ethical trappers....the fellas just out to kill coyotes or whatever to protect THEIR deer are the problem...conibears, cheap kill snares, sponges, poison, whatever....footholds are not a problem, to me.
THEY, the unprofessionals, can give a bad name to Trappers.....it is a shame that there is not more policing of one's own ranks or realizing that some areas, especially when polluted with large deer, have a problem with an attitude toward all but their own interest.
Too many shut their eyes to that which is uncomfortable to admit and once.....for a bad encounter...is simply too much, to me.
Still, as above, the truth is that any such encounter is rare.

The zip ties are quick and easy to run thru the conibear springs and when pulled tight hold, w/o other manipulations.
Ropes are not as easy and tools can be heavy.
I prefer the lightweight, ease and surety of zipties....whether I ever need them or not.