Will Lose My Job if My Dog Won't Stop Digging..

media310

Post by media310 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:30 pm

Ok,

I am now working 12 hour shifts. My dog is being watched by a local trainer / dog boarder during the day for $30. The money is tough, especially since I make $18 an hour.

So the guy said today that if we can't figure out how to stop her from digging, she won't be welcomed back = I either quit my job or get rid of my girl. hence the title of this article.

She is a hunter, what gives?

Hes sick or her making holes around his yard, as he actually rents the place and she is doing a ton of damage during the day.

Thoughts, help, PLEASE..

Carolina Gundogs

Re: Will Lose My Job if My Dog Won't Stop Digging..

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:35 pm

You need to possibly locate a local pro trainer and talk with him about keeping your dog during the day. With the rate you are paying, you could have a pro training her full time,...
Most professionals will have kennels with concrete floors or at least wood.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:43 pm

Bored. Not getting enough good hard running exercise. Wondering around the yard isn't exercise. See what Carolina Gundogs said.

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:01 pm

Run her, work her, poor thing is bored

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:48 am

It would not be easy to run a dog if you're working twelve hours a day. Get ahold of other kennels or dog daycares and see if they will work it out with you. I imagine you're working five days a week, so put an add on Craig's List or flyers around town advertising that you need a dog sitter for five days a week and you will pay $150. The dog sitting could allow her to be a house dog without any problems at all.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:29 am

I think the guy's taking your lunch money. She sounds board to me. I also vote for a new situation for her.
Good Luck !

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:04 am

I don't disagree with any of this, and it sure seems like 30 bucks a day to leave a dog in his backyard is outrageous. You can do better (and so can your dog). Put an ad in your local paper --Wanted! Daytime Dogsitter..--and you'll have lots of responses.

Nevertheless, the book The Koehler Method of Dog Training contains an effective correction for this.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:28 am

First off, a trainer would fix the problem. Secondly I will not disagree with all the boredom thoughts. Maybe, maybe not. What I have found is, sometimes dogs dig for a reason. If you let the dog dig he may find what he smells down there. Usually it is a rotting root or an old bone. Some dogs are killer on moles. Maybe?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:12 pm

$900.00 dollars a month is outrageous to "watch" a dog, sounds like a real shoddy facility if he's on dirt AND renting. I..'d find another place in a hurry. Only way to stop a dog from digging is 24 hour surveillance and correction. No amount of exercise will stop it.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:09 am

media310 wrote:Ok,

I am now working 12 hour shifts. My dog is being watched by a local trainer / dog boarder during the day for $30. The money is tough, especially since I make $18 an hour.

So the guy said today that if we can't figure out how to stop her from digging, she won't be welcomed back = I either quit my job or get rid of my girl. hence the title of this article.

She is a hunter, what gives?

Hes sick or her making holes around his yard, as he actually rents the place and she is doing a ton of damage during the day.

Thoughts, help, PLEASE..
Simple solution...

Put in an outside run with coop, water feed and a buried wire fence. You could pour a slab(my first choice) and not need the buried wire, or put in decking or horse pads over stone or something.

Bottom line...for the price of a month's "watching", which I agree is totally ridiculous(you are being hosed IMO), you will have the dog at your own place and in a safe environment during the day when you are at work.

Just so you know, I can put a dog with one of the very best horseback shooting dog trainers in the entire country for under $500 a month. That INCLUDES training.

RayG

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:21 pm

Put some rat or mouse traps in the bottom of the holes and fill them up with just enough dirt to cover the trap.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:32 pm

I wish you lived closer. I'd be delighted to watch your dog for $30 a day. She'd be sleeping on my sofa, not outside bored alone in the yard unsupervised digging holes.

I go out with my dogs and if they try to dig, I am there to tell them to stop.

There has to be a better place to leave your dog. You aren't getting enough for your $30. For $30 a day, he should be spending an hour a day giving her obedience lessons. And a bath included for that price.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:43 pm

I would relocate her.