GSP as a inside dog

Ghostware

GSP as a inside dog

Post by Ghostware » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:46 am

My wife and I live in a suburb of a large city, we have a fenced in medium sized backyard (50ft by 60ft) and a 2000 square foot house. I run 3 miles on average 3 times a week. I have a large field (500 yards by 500 yards) within walking distance of my house and a nicely kept large fenced in dog park within a 1/4 mile of my house. I also have a 160 acre deer hunting lease within 30 minutes of my house. Am I making a huge mistake trying to have a GSP as a indoor pet and part time hunting companion given these conditions? I grew up in the country where dogs roamed people's property freely, keeping a dog in a house and a fenced backyard is a foreign concept to me. My wife keeps our house very clean and my biggest fear is the dog destroys the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Ghostware on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

greg jacobs

Re: GSP as a inside dog

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:39 pm

I use a dog door and gates to access more or less of the house. They can jump the gates but know they aren't suppose to. 2 gsp's. Go for it you and the dogs will be fine. The wife, we'll have to wait and see.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:41 pm

It's all about obedience, not so much where you live. Discipline is the entire key; exercise has little to do with it.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:36 pm

Yes they can be a house dog. In fact most dogs prefer it. Like others mentioned it's about obedience and creating consistent rules and boundaries.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:50 pm

I've had 2 GSPs .
Puppies of course need to chew on something. Buy something ( see previous toy thread), so it's not your furniture.
House training will cause some accidents. Don't give your pup the run of the house. MIne stayed within a tiled kitchen /den area.
There is some shedding in the Spring and Fall.
Older dogs who get enough exercise are laid back in the house.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:54 am

I agree that exercise is a key part of obedience though I don't know GSPs well. If I don't run my setter for a few days, he is noticeably more mischievous.

Good luck~

Ghostware

GSP as a inside dog

Post by Ghostware » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:03 am

NEhomer wrote:I agree that exercise is a key part of obedience though I don't know GSPs well. If I don't run my setter for a few days, he is noticeably more mischievous.

Good luck~
When you say run what do you mean specifically a new job with the dog and how many miles?

Ghostware

GSP as a inside dog

Post by Ghostware » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:06 am

NEhomer wrote:I agree that exercise is a key part of obedience though I don't know GSPs well. If I don't run my setter for a few days, he is noticeably more mischievous.

Good luck~
When you say run do you mean you actually run with your dog on a leash? And for how many miles?

DougB

Post by DougB » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:04 am

My dogs are field bred Springers. They need some work to develop an off switch, but with a little patience, have all been excellent house dogs. Training is a never ending thing, but is fun. Having the dog indoors gives you constant opportunities to work and play with the dog.
The days of the wondering farm dog are coming to an end. Dogs caught messing with livestock, or just messing around where they don't belong, frequently get shot. Road traffic is heavier, and dogs don't seem to understand physics well. The daily walks with the occasional long run on rough ground has kept my dogs healthy and happy. Train harder when hunting season nears.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:11 pm

We have had 4 GSP's as house/hunting dogs without as much room to run as you have. I think breeding plays a big roll to not getting a "hyper" Shorthair. We have had ours at PheasantFest at a booth and had people comment that their shorthair(s) were too hyper to do something like that. All of ours were from different breedings.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:09 pm

Dogs prefer to be house dogs. All dogs need some guidance concerning what behavior you prefer in a house dog.

A GSP will have a huge amount of energy, so be prepared to provide a lot of exercise and a job. The job does not have to be hunting related, but it must be something that the dog can learn to do well and to be praised for. GSPs are smart and they need some sort of work for their brains. And did I mention that they have a lot of energy and will need a way to burn some of that energy off.

s223196

Post by s223196 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:02 am

we have a 1 year old gsp in the house, she is doing great. Although we researched breed for a couple of years before we finally decided to get one, we were still suprised about all of theyre energy. Smimming is another good way to burn some energy, ours loves the pool. For awhile we wondered if we made the right decision, but now she is perfect, loves to go hunting, camping and car rides. only issue now is when guest come over and right now she is in heat and staying on the deck. Didn't want to get her fixed yet but we can't keep putting up with her bleeding in the house.

Ghostware

GSP as a inside dog

Post by Ghostware » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:33 am

s223196 wrote:we have a 1 year old gsp in the house, she is doing great. Although we researched breed for a couple of years before we finally decided to get one, we were still suprised about all of theyre energy. Smimming is another good way to burn some energy, ours loves the pool. For awhile we wondered if we made the right decision, but now she is perfect, loves to go hunting, camping and car rides. only issue now is when guest come over and right now she is in heat and staying on the deck. Didn't want to get her fixed yet but we can't keep putting up with her bleeding in the house.
What is the specific issue with the guests? She gets real excited and jumps in them?

tbriggs8

Post by tbriggs8 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:19 am

I'd recommend Wolters "gun dog" or "family dog" for obedience and hunting. His "water dog" has solved so many problems for me.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:31 am

Wolter's Gun Dog was written years ago pretty much as a diary of what he was doing. It has been found badly lacking by todays trainers. There are many books and programs better than Wolters IMO

s223196

Post by s223196 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:48 am

ezzy333 wrote:Wolter's Gun Dog was written years ago pretty much as a diary of what he was doing. It has been found badly lacking by todays trainers. There are many books and programs better than Wolters IMO
can you recomend one for basic obediance for a 1yr GSP?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:27 am

s223196 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Wolter's Gun Dog was written years ago pretty much as a diary of what he was doing. It has been found badly lacking by todays trainers. There are many books and programs better than Wolters IMO
I will let someone else do that as I never read one. Basic obedience is just what you think your pup needs to know to live within your family structure/

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:50 am

Give your limitations, maybe some other breeds would be more suitable. Viszla, Spinone, Bracco.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:37 pm

s223196 wrote:[
can you recomend one for basic obediance for a 1yr GSP?[/quote]

Find an obedience club or class that trains for serious competition obedience (not behaviorist stuff). You don't have to DO competition obedience, but it is the foundation of correct training. Train ten minutes, twice a day, seven days a week. You'll find it to be fun and your dog will like it as he gets better,too. You'll be surprised at what a better relationship you'll have and how your dog will be able to go places with you and do things you never thought possible.

Bird hunting is season-limited; obedience is not. If anyone is interested, there are likely trials in your area, or will be. Here's the AKC site. Just click "Obedience" and then your state on the map. You'll find it to be interesting to see. If you like dog training (and I do), hot weather poses a problem. But you can train in your backyard for 15 minutes (every day) in obedience and get great results. Go to a trial and see what it's all about. Nothing wrong with broadening your knowledge.

https://www.apps.akc.org/apps/events/se ... 3&mobile=N

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:22 pm

Steve007 wrote:
s223196 wrote:[
Find an obedience club or class that trains for serious competition obedience (not behaviorist stuff). You don't have to DO competition obedience, but it is the foundation of correct training. Train ten minutes, twice a day, seven days a week. You'll find it to be fun and your dog will like it as he gets better,too. You'll be surprised at what a better relationship you'll have and how your dog will be able to go places with you and do things you never thought possible.

Bird hunting is season-limited; obedience is not. If anyone is interested, there are likely trials in your area, or will be. Here's the AKC site. Just click "Obedience" and then your state on the map. You'll find it to be interesting to see. If you like dog training (and I do), hot weather poses a problem. But you can train in your backyard for 15 minutes (every day) in obedience and get great results. Go to a trial and see what it's all about. The sponsoring clubs most likely offer classes.Nothing wrong with broadening your knowledge.

https://www.apps.akc.org/apps/events/se ... 3&mobile=N[/quote]

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:06 am

I have a GSP with similar conditions. Hanna does great except she sheds a lot. No wonder they are short hairs, they shed it before it can grow. :D

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:04 am

We have 2 working English setters (4 and 2 years old), a hard-driving Chessie (2 years old), and busted up, ornery old cowdog that all live in the house. A few basic manners and a solid routine (eating at the same time, going to bed around the same time, sleeping in the same place, being let out at the same time, etc) help to establish a relatively mellow environment and I think the stability of a solid routine helps the dog to be calm and confident. Whatever ground rules you decide on as far as boundaries (access to furniture and "people food" seem to be the biggies), make sure everyone in the family is onboard and consistent. We have one couch and one chair that the dogs are allowed on and that seems to work out pretty good. I'm a runner as well and wearing the dogs out daily makes a world of difference. I try and go to places that they can all run off-leash because even a 5 mile leash run is pretty much a warm-up for them (but certainly better than nothing). I agree with fishvik though, it seems that dog hair is my favorite color :lol: I'm sure you'll do great. Best of luck with your new pup! Post lots of pictures!

lurejunkee

GSP as a inside dog

Post by lurejunkee » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:10 pm

MonsterDad wrote:Give your limitations, maybe some other breeds would be more suitable. Viszla, Spinone, Bracco.
My girlfriend's Vizsla is a ball of fire on Mtn Dew. He's beautiful but she hasn't put the work in like I've advised her to do 5 months old). Obedience (patience) is going to be key. I'm sure the exercise y'all do together will help and it will also increase your bond.
I had my lab inside for quite some time and it made training easier in my opinion (more opportunities).
I'd look into a gun dog training DVD set and view it from start to finish several times before pup comes home. Then start your lesson plan.

Sleepytrout

Post by Sleepytrout » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:52 pm

Obedience, obedience, obedience. Crate training. You will be fine. You can help expend energy through training and a LARGE elk antler to chew on. My GSP goes right to sleep after working out on his chew bone for 10 min.