Getting Club Motivated

Gertie

Getting Club Motivated

Post by Gertie » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:25 am

Most recently, our local hunting dog club has been very successful at putting on events and raising money for our local senior center (providing pet food for low income seniors). In the past also we've hosted seminars and had an active training committee as well. Participation in those activities has begun to dwindle. The problem is that it's always the same handful of people who come out to organize and do the hands-on work to make these activities successful. I can tell these hard-working folks are becoming weary of bearing the load. I would really like to see more of the members getting involved and even coming up with activities that might attract young folks (the vast number of active members are over 50). I understand that younger folks are raising families and are busy but I feel that it's important for the continuation of our sport to recruit new hunters, field trial and hunt test participants, and hunting dog enthusiasts. I am wondering if some of you might be willing to share any successes you have had with recruiting new members, engaging current members, and ideas for activities to generate enthusiasm (we have over 70 members but I only ever see about 10 of them). Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Getting Club Motivated

Post by shags » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:34 pm

That"s problem that most clubs have, or will eventually have. IME there are many folks who won't volunteer, but who will help out if asked. It helps to substitute requests like 'Can you come out to one of our fund raisers and give us a hand?' with specifics -' Hey, Joe, could you come out to XYZ preserve on Sunday and lend us your talents as a gunner? ( or bird planter, dog wagon driver, entry taker, or head BBQer).

Be sure to offer some little perks to your volunteers, like maybe lunch or at least beverages on the club, or first dibs on left-over training birds. Could the club afford reduced entry fees for workers, or a free 'turn' or two?

Another thing to consider is how many events your active members can handle. Sometimes go-getter organizers want too many events with a limited number of active workers.

I think your club's idea of donating to the senior center is terrific, and I'm going to mention it to a couple of my clubs.

Good luck!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Common problem for most clubs.

What saved our club was an experienced long term trialer taking a young men under his wing. Spent many hours and days helping that young man become successful in the trial scene.
That young man is now the President of our club.

I think it is helping one person at a time.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:40 pm

Every club in the world has the same make up of 100% willing members, 5% willing to work and 95% willing to let them. Where the problem often comes up is the 95% reserve the right to criticize how the 5% are doing the work.

Ezzy