Breeding Etiquette

ben33127

Breeding Etiquette

Post by ben33127 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:36 am

I am looking within the next year to breed my oldest pointer. I have never bred him before and do not want to with my female. I really have no clue how to look for a female I would want to breed him to or even how that conversation goes? I have had a couple of hunting preserves ask me but I really wasn't super impressed with any of their dogs, and I am not sure what to look for. He has a pretty good pedigree for all I know. Granddad was from Elhew Snakefoot (straw) and his dad was Elhew Red River who I think is now a champion. I do not Field Trial and have zero intention, strictly walking hunting.

I am in the absolute dark on what to look for and where to start, anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

oregon woodsmoke

Re: Breeding Etiquette

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:53 pm

Perhaps it is different with gundogs? With other dogs, the stud dog owner does not get to chose a bitch, unless he buys her and owns her. The bitch owner goes around considering stud dogs and picking out what they hope is the best cross. They aren't waiting for some dog to come along and offer.

It doesn't happen often, but sometimes you can lease a bitch and have a litter out of her, 100% of expenses to be paid by yourself and the bitch's owner either gets a puppy or a fee. But that probably isn't going to happen unless your dog is absolutely outstanding, with super pedigree, performance titles, big wins at something important.

I've occasionally had some stranger offer to breed my bitch for pick of the litter for himself. No thank you. It costs a fortune to breed a bitch and raise a healthy litter and risk a C-section or even death of the bitch. I'm not doing that so some one can have a puppy just like their dog. It's actually rather rude to go up to anyone and offer to let your dog breed their bitch.

If you want to breed your dog, you can start with getting hips and elbows OFA'ed, eyes CERFed, thyroid tested, Vom Willdebrands testing, and run any tests available for your breed to discover any genetic markers for genetic disease.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:56 pm

PS: you might start with contacting your breeder and ask him about getting a litter sired by your dog. He might know someone who is thinking about breeding and who is wanting the bloodlines your dog has. That's the only suggestion I can think of.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:57 pm

Wow, that is quite extensive. I should probably buy another puppy and make it easier. To your point, I was wanting one from Patton because of his pedigree. I paid a ton based on his bloodline.

Thanks for the input.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:26 pm

Post your dogs pedigree, and offer a breeding for a pup of your choice! :)

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:45 pm

Thats essentially my question. Is it uncommon for someone in my position to pick and choose females? It seems like it is.

I think I will talk to the kennel I bought him from and and get their thoughts.

Thanks for the help.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:04 pm

Buy a pup. Probably cheaper and better in the long run. A lot of great litters born every year.

Soignie

Post by Soignie » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:28 pm

No offense but while your dog is likely a wonderful hunter and pet he really has nothing to offer anyone who owns a high quality bitch, you might be able to lease one but expect to pay an exorbitant cost. Check with the breeder but if they charged you high dollar for your male based on that pedigree you aren't likely to get much of a deal from them now either. Find a well bred pup, male or female (check out living sires that are producing today, grandsires don't have much influence on what your pup will become) and have fun. Most all of us have owned dogs that we really liked and thought how great it would be to have a pup just like dear old mom/dad but once the kennel blindness clears we find there are even better ones out there.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:11 am

Thx for the advice guys. I've decided, going to buy a new pup.