Quail Pen in Yard?

aksportsman

Quail Pen in Yard?

Post by aksportsman » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:39 pm

Hey Guys,

I realise that this may be a dumb question but I figured it wise to deal the embarrassment and ask anyways. I am looking to build or buy a pen for training birds both pigeons and quail for in my backyard. Currently, I have a half dozen in the shed as a temporary holding place and my dog spends half the dang day whining at the shed door trying to get in. My question is, if I build the cage and my dog every day is exposed to birds that she cannot get access too and she learns are unobtainable is there any possibility of negative effects. Effects such as losing drive, or possible interest due to the constant casual exposure to the smell, sight, sound etc of live birds without reward. I realise setting plays a huge role in behaviour and how my dog will receive bird scent but I really just want someone who has a similar situation to give me the thumbs up to make sure I'm not going to cause any issues here. feel free to call me crazy for asking but thanks for the help

Max2

Re: Quail Pen in Yard?

Post by Max2 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:07 am

Your crazy ! :D
Good question though. My own finding's were it doesn't make any difference. I used to get a kick out of max when he would stand up on the side of the pen when he was small and look in there. I say anything that can be used as a training tool is open. Pup runs to pen call him off. It becomes old news pretty quick when they can't get at the birds Absolutely you have to use discretion in calling the dog off. (IMO) It's not like the dog will be by the pen with no supervision . I used to let him have a peek then slap my leg and call him in and go the other direction. I never let the dog bum around on his own. Always in tune to what he was doing.

jrb_113

Quail Pen in Yard?

Post by jrb_113 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:36 am

I have a similar situation. I have a dog training grounds and my neighbor has a dog kennel turned quail/chukar pen. His dog still circles the pen until she is called off and mine started ignoring it after a day or two. However when my dog sees me leave the house and walk over to the pen he goes crazy whining to the wife until I get back in and get him ready to go. No negative effects in either dog. The neighbor has a GSP and I have a Brittany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aksportsman

Re: Quail Pen in Yard?

Post by aksportsman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:54 am

Alright, thanks guys looks like I'll be going to get the materials to build today I appreciate your advice.