Bringing home new pup and older dog.

FrankRizzo

Bringing home new pup and older dog.

Post by FrankRizzo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:57 am

So our male GSP pup is going to be ready to be brought home in October. We have a current GSP male that is 10years old. I have a very nice kennel that is on the inside of a heated garage and a run on the outside. I want to be able to keep both dogs in there. I have zero worries as my dog isn't aggressive around other dogs or people. I do have an understand of the pack mentality an introducing a puppy and have no worries there. I have this magical idea that the puppy is going to come home and that night they can both be in the same kennel and be happy as peas in a pod. What should I do and what should my real expectations be?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Bringing home new pup and older dog.

Post by shags » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:49 am

I'd let them acclimate to each other for a few days before putting them together unsupervised. That way you'll be able to evaluate how annoying the pup will be to the old guy, and the level of the old guy's tolerance for puppy annoyance.
Good luck to you, here's to a great match and new besties.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:41 pm

Same concern I have. I'm told that having them meet and greet off the home property is a good idea. Also a gate between two rooms so they can sniff but not feel threatened.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Never had an old dog that loved a young pup.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:31 am

If my wife's 14yr old yorkie could tear my young setter's throat out, he would! Of course the setter thinks that the yorkie's just endless fun to provoke with his few remaining teeth ;)

Good luck but they should be fine together.

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:56 am

Thanks for the replys. Not sure if it makes a difference but we dog sit a few other dogs every once in a while when friends or family go on vacation and we put those dogs in the same kennel together and have never had a problem.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:21 pm

NEhomer wrote:If my wife's 14yr old yorkie could tear my young setter's throat out, he would! Of course the setter thinks that the yorkie's just endless fun to provoke with his few remaining teeth ;)

Good luck but they should be fine together.

Hilarious.! Thanks.