new puppy

lpk_moe

new puppy

Post by lpk_moe » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:48 am

I am going to be getting my first GSP puppy Saturday. I am new to the gundogs but looking forward to it. One question I had was regarding toys. I believe I seen somewhere on here about not buying toys that squeak. What is the reason behind it? I know they can be annoying but anything else.

Also any other tips to help the training process would be wonderful. I have bought the perfect start dvd and the puppy development dvd. I also bought the training with Mo book. I also joined a NAVHDA club. I just want to make sure I start him off right.

Anyone have like goals to shoot for at certain ages for puppies. I know they all develop different and progress different but just like a guideline. I do plan to hunt in field trails hopefully one day. One thing that I have learned from you guys from just reading for sometime was to take is slow and let the puppy be a puppy. I do appreciate the knowledge I have found on here.

When do you introduce birds to a puppy. I have had people tell me to wait awhile and just do the wings but from what I have been reading wings are not so good because you don't want them trailing by site. But the reason for not showing live birds was incase the dog caught the bird and got hurt that it might make the pup shy/scared. I am not sure I about that just from when I coonhunting, when pups got there first taste of a coon fight it made the prey drive more.

When are pups ready to start field trails. I know when I competition coonhunted you had to be careful with pups. If you ever got drawn out with a dog that was ill you took a chance on it jumping on your pup and having a major set back.

Thanks
Daniel

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: new puppy

Post by shags » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:39 am

Congrats on the new pup and welcome.

Squeaky toys make the dog want to bite down, and you don't want that (hard mouth) in a dog that you'll want to retrieve.

While your pup is small you can work on socializing amd general manners. You can take him for walks afield, being mindful to match the cover to his ability to navigate it. While you're there you can work on having him go with you, turn, come back in, and general field manners. Follow your video program for guidance. It should have bird intro in there. Don't do wings, it's a waste of time and the only good it does is to amuse you. Don't get in a rush about proofing your pup to gunfire. There is a rime and place for that. You video program will probably have something about that in there too.

If you want to run in horseback or walking trials you might have to edit the NAHVDA the training program. I've seen some that lean more to control and for trials you will need independence. Groups vary, just be aware. Go observe before you take your pup so you can get an idea whether those guys' methods jibe with what you want for your pup.

For AKC trials your pup will have to be 6 months old. No neeed for much training there, as long as he hunts and minds you reasonably well. As he gets older he'll move up to broke dog stakes and for that he'll need to be a good finished dog.

There are different kinds of trials though, so pick the venue you like and train for it. Check the organizations' websites to find trials in your area, and go observe.

Enjoy your pup, your in for a fun ride.

lpk_moe

Post by lpk_moe » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:16 pm

Thanks for the info. I continue watching the videos that I have and reading. I just didn't remember seeing in the videos recommend ages to be working on stuff with. Maybe I won't drive ya'll crazy with questions :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:20 pm

Last edited by Sharon on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:27 am

Welcome here good luck with your pup. It looks like shags gave you good advice
cc