Turtleskin SnakeArmor Dog Vest Experience?

Warrior372

Turtleskin SnakeArmor Dog Vest Experience?

Post by Warrior372 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:02 pm

Do any of you have experience with this particular vest? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Does it seem restrictive or cumbersome? Is the material too thick to use in hot weather? The neck protector looks a bit odd to, so any thoughts or experiences with it would be appreciated as well. It could be a great product just curious about everyone's experience before possibly purchasing it.

reba

Re: Turtleskin SnakeArmor Dog Vest Experience?

Post by reba » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:03 am

Some times on some dogs this type of vest will rub under the front legs.

If a dog was to wear a vest I would want it orange.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:21 pm

A magazine I got in the mail has a better description of it versus what I have been able to find online. They state that the leg holes in the vest are lined with fleece to help prevent rubbing around the front legs. They do make it in blaze orange as well. Has anyone used this or any other vest to protect against snake bites? It looks pretty expensive, but cheaper than a visit to the vet hospital for anti-venom. I am going to do a rattlesnake avoidance course with my pup, but if I am going to throw a blaze orange vest on him anyway I thought this could be useful if it us well made and not cumbersome to the dog.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:01 pm

I've tried a couple of different vests and they caused chaffing and got caught on brush so I gave up on them. Where are you located? If you're dealing with western diamondback rattlers then you might want to consider the Redrock Rattlesnake Vaccine. I haven't had the misfortune of dealing with a snake bite yet (knock on wood) but a friend of mine had a dog bit while fly fishing last summer and that dog had the vaccine. Still a medical emergency but after a 1 hour long hike out and 2 1/2 hour drive to the vet the symptoms were quite mild compared to dogs bit in the same place (front leg) that did not have the vaccine. Something to think about anyway. Please post a review of the vest after you've tried it out. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. Good luck.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Thank you for the info! I am located in SW Idaho, so the Western Rattlesnake (not diamondback) is supposedly the biggest problem around here. I wonder if the venom is close enough between the various members of the rattlesnake family that the vaccine would still have similar benefits. I will reach out to that company to see about the vaccine. I will also reach out to the vest company to see if they can send me a demo or something so I can test it out / report back. I do not think any local stores carry it, so there is really no way for me to check it out before purchasing it.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:30 pm

My dogs hate vests, they think it makes them look fat.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Pedro wrote:My dogs hate vests, they think it makes them look fat.
:D :lol: :D :lol:

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:48 am

Western rattlesnake and diamondback rattlesnake are in the same genus and the venom is almost identical so the vaccine should be similarly effective for both. My bad, I should have made that more clear in my original response.

Most vets in the west offer the vaccine these days. It costs about $40-50/shot. Dog will need two about a month apart the first year and then a booster every additional year. Best of luck to you.

Rik

Post by Rik » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:09 pm

Worked for a rescue shelter/vet in Amarillo for a while. Saw lots of snakebit dogs. The small dogs got bit a lot on the chest and belly, the medium to large dogs almost always were bit on nose, jowels or lower legs. Bird dogs seemed get bit on the legs and sometimes on the nose. Never saw a bird dog bit on the body. Makes me wonder if a vest would of any use.

Tried snake avoidance training. Seemed to work for my hard nosed dogs (pointers) but just traumatized my softer ( Mostly Setters) dogs. The Vaccine did seem to reduce damage from venom and probably saved a quite few dogs. The vaccine is probably worth doing.