Speculate my EP's breeding?

mnaj_springer

Speculate my EP's breeding?

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:43 pm

Ok. I know there won't be any difinitive answers, but for those with Pointer knowledge and some free time (or boredom), maybe you can help me identify my dog's breeding, or speculate on what it is (I don't have her papers and don't know the answer myself so we can all be right and all be wrong :D )

So my little Pointer gal came to me from a guy who couldn't keep her any longer (she was 6 months old then), and he got her as a puppy from a couple getting a divorce. The guy I got her from said she is registered but he didn't have the papers. So, I'll list some of her characteristics and you folks can maybe speculate on her breeding (it could be fun):

1. She's a female, nearly two years old, and weighs 46 pounds.
2. She has an under bite.
3. She is white with black flecking. She has a completely black head (with white just above her nose), and black patches on her shoulders.
4. On point her stance is typically with her back legs straight, front legs slightly crouched, head up, and tail at about 10 o'clock.
5. She loves to retrieve and has since we got her.
6. She runs hard from start to finish when hunting (I know this is subjective, but I'm comparing her to other dogs I've seen including GSPs, GWPs, and Vizslas)
7. Her head is more on the foxy, narrow side, rather than being really big and square. She has a definite stop, but it is not steep.
8. When hunting her range is anywhere from 60 to 200 yards.

I got thinking about this because of the inbreeding/linebreeding thread, and the mention of the underbite in Elhews.

Thanks for any responses!

rinker

Re: Speculate my EP's breeding?

Post by rinker » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:50 pm

Can you come up with the name of the original owner? The American Field could look up the info for you, if you had something to start with.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:18 pm

mnaj_springer wrote: So my little Pointer gal came to me from a guy who couldn't keep her any longer (she was 6 months old then), and he got her as a puppy from a couple getting a divorce. The guy I got her from said she is registered but he didn't have the papers. So, I'll list some of her characteristics and you folks can maybe speculate on her breeding (it could be fun):
Thanks for any responses!
Is it a cross breed or mongrel :)

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:46 pm

rinker wrote:Can you come up with the name of the original owner? The American Field could look up the info for you, if you had something to start with.
No I can't, unfortunately. The guy I got her from couldn't remember either. But he said she's a purebred EP that was initially registered. I have no doubt she is from hunting stock because her desire and instincts are incredible. Honestly, I'm less concerned about her breeding, I just thought it would be fun to speculate. All I know is she can find birds!

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:12 am

Did you ever have her scanned to see if she is chipped?

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:24 pm

Elhew is not the only line of pointers with propensity for underbites. I don't know this first hand, but I have been told that 'Nell's Ramlin On', had an underbite. She is one of the most influential females ever in the pointer breed. Her lineage trickles down to Elhew, Guard Rail, Fiddler, and Rebel, and probably others.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Urban_Redneck wrote:Did you ever have her scanned to see if she is chipped?
The only chip she has is the one we had put in her.