Dear Dad

ESS13

Dear Dad

Post by ESS13 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:27 pm

Dad,

The worst day of my life was when I realized I will never be you. Some of the best days of my life have been afield birdhunting with my dog. We never had a dog growing up and I always loved to wingshoot. I never knew how much I loved watching dogs worked until I learned what was what in the field. I know we see differently eye to eye on how I should handle my dog or even what hunting seasons are more important now. I know we are not together in the field as much as we used to be but you are always present. My dog has helped fill your void afield since she works hard, enjoys our success, and even enjoys our sorrows.

The best part of growing up is watching my children do outdoor things that I find unusual for kids their age. Today our 4 yr old and 15 month yr old both washed off my duck decoys in their baby pool to help prepare for hunting season. My oldest is already begging me to hunt for geese this September. When our youngest walks, she will pheasant hunt with us too like our daddy daughter days afield last season. The best part is that most of their interest in hunting and fishing has come unprompted. I take them hunting and fishing and encourage outdoor sports but no pressure. They started washing decoys today simply because they wanted to get ready for the season.

It funny how your love of archery hunting has turned into my love of hunting with dogs. Clearly both pastimes will be passed down a generation to our girls.

Shoot straight pops.

hettmoe

Re: Dear Dad

Post by hettmoe » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:30 am

It is so interesting how hunting with a dog can help change us.........Nice post. :D

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:27 pm

It took me back in time. Remembering those times, long ago, spent with dad chasing roosters, quail, and an occasional chukar. I dearly miss that competitive spirt dear old dad had.

Now there are few things I enjoy more than a day out hunting with my sons. They have become better than their dad with a bow or a rifle and our beloved shotguns. That competitive spirt runs deep in their veins.

Thanks DAD.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:21 pm

My Dad too left us a wonderful hunting/fishing heritage.
He started me off with hunting/fishing at about age 8.We also bred and trained beagles together for many years.
My older brother was an Alberta RCMP officer /hunter who when he retired became a Conservation Office in Hawaii.
Little brother Steve is a fishing and hunting guide on Vancouver island B.C.

Thank you Dad.