Coyote as a bird dog

GSP4ME

Coyote as a bird dog

Post by GSP4ME » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:04 pm

With the way dog fads go, I'm almost surprised the "coyote bird dog" didn't become a thing after this article ran.

Max Montgomery can't honestly say Wylie is his best bird dog, but that's partly because Wylie isn't a dog. Wylie is a coyote. Montgomery, a 50-year-old western Oklahoma rancher, adopted the coyote when it was only a pup soon after its mother was shot and killed by another man.

Montgomery hoped to raise it as a pet. Not only did that work out, but Wylie amazed his owner by quickly taking up with - and emulating - the six bird dogs on the place. Now, at younger than a year old, Wylie sometimes beats them at their own game. With his blaze orange collar and his tail spray-painted the same color for safety in the field, he's becoming known as a bird-hunting coyote.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/man ... ing-coyote

DougB

Re: Coyote as a bird dog

Post by DougB » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:18 pm

TV special on dogs showed the differences between dogs and wolves development. After a few weeks, there is a marked difference tween dogs and wolves. Wolves start going wild. Don't house train well, don't respond well to commands. Luck with a coyote surprises me.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:31 pm

Surprises me, too. Noses on coyotes in my part of the country are nowhere near as good as our bird dogs'.....at least as far as pheasants, sharptail, and Huns are concerned. And as far as a dog at 8 months not being any good as a bird dog......Sorry, I just don't buy it. Your mileage may vary. :D

reba

Post by reba » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:34 am

I hope there are no chickens on the ranch.

With that said, I have an ACD that is the best flushing and retrieving dog west of the Mississippi. She learned on our chickens. She killed a couple and brought them to me. I did nothing but praise her. The training cost only two chickens!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:39 am

reba wrote:I hope there are no chickens on the ranch.

With that said, I have an ACD that is the best flushing and retrieving dog west of the Mississippi. She learned on our chickens. She killed a couple and brought them to me. I did nothing but praise her. The training cost only two chickens!
Did she pluck them and clean them too? That would be a heck of a dog!!

The phrase "_______ of the Mississippi" always made sense to me growing up in North Dakota... It was simple. But living where I do now, it's not so simple... I live both to the west and the the east of the Mississippi #northernminnesotaproblems

Sorry, I'm just feeling playful this morning. Fall can't come soon enough!

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:35 pm

This is a great post! Very interesting. Doesn't sound like he's house trained the coyote,though (doesn't say, but I hear wolves are weak in that area), so I guess my wife might object. My wirehairs,too, as I consider it.

Note also the "viral emails: true or false" within the Field and Stream story (below).

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/ga ... -which-are