North Dakota

Peerless

North Dakota

Post by Peerless » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:41 pm

Hello all I am new to this Forum and this is my first post! I am from Northern MI and am an avid Grouse Hunter. However, I am headed to North Dakota the first week of November this fall and I was wondering if anyone had any information on the spring hatch? and how the bird numbers look around the state this year?

mask

Re: North Dakota

Post by mask » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:01 pm

What are you going to be hunting?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:24 pm

Welcome to the forum. Living in Canada so can't help. He said "grouse" mask.

SCT

Post by SCT » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:58 am

I spoke with the biologist in "bleep" the other day. He said the numbers are down from last year, and a couple years prior to that. So, might be a bit tougher to find the birds, but that won't keep me from going.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:21 am

I too am going to ND this fall, 2nd time for me, 4th time for my adult son. It depends on what kind of birds you are looking for.

I primarily hunt waterfowl, which has another banner year coming with most all primary species numbers up for the third year in a row. If the weather is right, most waterfowl hunting can be done in fields if you have enough decoys and laydown blinds, although we frequently end up in ponds also.

Pheasant numbers are reported a bit better than last year. Every year we have went up to ND we find birds (pheasants). If you have a good dog or a large group you will find birds, enough to make it a fun and memorable hunt.

Good Luck

Peerless

Post by Peerless » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:37 pm

We will be targeting Pheasants, but may try for a mixed bag of sharp tails or even a hun. Its just my dad and I going he has two dogs and I have two dogs. To me this is a trip of a lifetime. we are headed to western ND.

Springer

Post by Springer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:52 pm

Pheasants should be up again, that late in the year it will be tough to get on grouse as they are skiddish but you could end up finding some. You will need to wear orange during the deer hunting season. Depending on how far west you go pound the cattails that is where they will end up especially if there is snow on the ground. They will run to those then you have a chance to flush them.

brady124

Post by brady124 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:15 pm

Where will you be staying when you get here. From what I see in our area the numbers are really good for pheasant and grouse. We have lots of land open to the public. Hope you enjoy your time up here.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:00 am

Springer wrote:Pheasants should be up again, that late in the year it will be tough to get on grouse as they are skiddish but you could end up finding some. You will need to wear orange during the deer hunting season. Depending on how far west you go pound the cattails that is where they will end up especially if there is snow on the ground. They will run to those then you have a chance to flush them.
^ Nailed it. Late season birds are tough, tough, tough. I've been hearing about decent numbers. You will love it and you will learn a lot every year you go.