Combo shotguns

Jägermeister

Combo shotguns

Post by Jägermeister » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:46 am

I am getting excited to go hunting after the long wait. I have spent some time looking at shotguns in the mean time and saw they have combo shotguns. I had always thought it'd be nice to try a 28 gauge but I was worried it can't be used for all upland game. The past couple seasons I have been using my 12 gauge but I think it's too much for quail. Do any of you have one of these 20/28 gauge combos? Is it just an extra barrel you switch out? I have been researching the browning citori feather lightning combo but I'm not sure if they still sell them. I also saw a berretta combo that looked nice.

Tooling

Re: Combo shotguns

Post by Tooling » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:32 am

Short answer is yes, the barrels are interchangeable on combo guns.

Keep in mind you can use less potent ammo in your 12ga however the greatest benefit derived from that tact is best realized by reloading.

I think 3/4 oz 12 ga loads are readily available..if your shotgun has interchangeable chokes..swap ‘em out for open chokes when Quail hunting.

One of the great pleasures of shooting a 28ga is the scaled size of the gun which is quite small & light next to a properly scaled 20ga.

The most traditional combo sets would be 20/16 & 410/28

On a 20/28 set your 28ga barrel will be paired to a 20ga frame & with the 28ga bores obviously smaller it will mean the barrels themselves will have a greater wall thickness which = more weight.

My favorite combo is the 20/16 ~ a set of 16ga tubes on a 20 ga frame makes for one fine Pheasant gun and nice open chokes in the 20 ga set of barrels makes for good medicine when shooting up close.

A 6-1/2# 20ga will fall to about 6-1/4# when switching to the 16. Some guys like them lighter still, & I’m one of them.

Downside to a beautiful & svelte 6 lb 20 ga is the weight loss if a set of 16 ga barrels are utilized which reduces weight > 6 lbs resulting in a mule kicker of a shotgun.

If you have long range ambitions you just might be better served by learning to roll ‘em up yourself & spend a few bucks in the reloading dept in order to lighten up the 12ga load.

The education you’ll end up with will most certainly affect your shotgun buying decisions going forward..likely for the better.

Aside from that..if you’re serious about a 28ga..I would strongly encourage you to look at a dedicated 28ga built on a scaled frame in order to enjoy the bliss that comes with owning a 28ga.

A scaled 28ga will typically weigh in around 5-1/2 lbs & that makes for one dandy of a Woodcock gun.

Good luck

Schatzman

Combo shotguns

Post by Schatzman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:06 am

My main field gun I use is a Beretta Silver Pigeon IV that I turned into a combo set with 20/28/410 gauge. I love it. I have a lot of very nice shotguns. Everything from Krieghoff to Fabarms and everything else you can think of. That Beretta has been surprisingly amazing. It doesn't owe me a cent, and if the stock gets scratched I won't lose sleep over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:58 pm

I have the gun you're looking at and love it. I shoot the 20 more than the 28, but it's a great gun. I hate light guns, they're too whippy for me so when they build a 28 on a 20 frame and it comes in around 6#, that's perfect for me. I have shot that gun since the year they were introduced and shoot skeet all summer with it in the 20. Great gun and if you find one on Gunbroker, you can't go wrong. Comes with a beautiful case as well. Only thing you'll have to do is to buy a cylinder choke for it.

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:40 am

Thanks for the advise. I didn't know about the frame difference, I think that may be something to consider. Hopefully I can find a place with a true 28 and combo to compare how they feel. I never thought about doing reloading, guess I have some more online research to do. Thanks.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:42 am

I've never shot a 28 but can't help to be skeptical of it's potency. Especially in high winds on peripheral shots.

Serious question....what's the appeal of using such a light load?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:41 am

NEhomer wrote:I've never shot a 28 but can't help to be skeptical of it's potency. Especially in high winds on peripheral shots.

$12 a box trap loads. :D

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:56 am

NEhomer wrote:I've never shot a 28 but can't help to be skeptical of it's potency. Especially in high winds on peripheral shots.

Your skepticism is both valid & flawed.

20ga standard payload is 7/8 oz of shot - 28ga payload is 3/4 oz..so only 1/8 oz difference.

Couple that with the fact that both payloads are delivered at approx 1200/1300 fps ~ there is no difference..that is to say 1200 fps is 1200 fps

Where the difference comes in is bore size and the resultant pattern..assuming the understood mechanics of choke..in both theory and practical use..it is generally established that the larger the bore size..the more even the pattern.

For example..in theory 3/4 oz from a 12ga choked modified will deliver a more even pattern than a 28ga choked modified..some of that has to do with pellet deformation as well as a multitude of other reasons.

If you were to look at patterns from a 28ga..you would be quite surprised at how nice a pattern they can throw compared to a 20ga..& believe me, you'd be surprised how potent a 28ga really is due to those nice patterns.

That said..when you get into larger shot (#4 & even #5)..there simply are not nearly the number of pellets in a standard 28ga shell as compared to larger gauges & the bore restriction (IMO) begins to work against you.

Take that same 28ga and find a load that patterns well using #7 shot or smaller..and I'll show you one very nice Quail/WC gun.

GH's follow up to my post was a very good one b/c he seems to agree w/me in that a 6# 20ga is the ticket, but for him (like many others) anything lighter is whippy & he can't shoot it well.

It's all relative..I'm an east coaster & we are in the woods frequently..that makes me a very instinctual shooter..bird ~ gun up/point ~ shoot..it's not often that I have to lead a shot whereas out west there is more frequency in open areas, so it makes perfect sense.

For the skeet guys..they need some weight for the shotgun to swing smoothly & also to follow through. For those guys..a little weight forward (28ga barrels on a 20 ga frame)..is not a horrible thing.

I am awful at skeet but I'm a pretty good wing shooter...alot folks say you are one or the other..and then some folks are just great shots w/a shotgun..the most important thing is fit & simply how the gun feels to an individual.

Long subject (obviously)..but this is why I encouraged the consideration of reloading..by the time someone is done going through the motions of doing just that..a very good understanding results.

I don't reload b/c I simply hate reloading (but I know how to do it)

So far as ethics..it's a personal thing & also very debatable..myself personally..I won't shoot Pheasants nor Chukars w/a 28ga.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:15 am

Very informative post Tooling..thanks.

I had Pheasants in mind with the question.

I know this braggart dude who is indeed a very good trap and skeet shooter but he was boasting about using his 28ga on pheasants because he just takes head shots. I was a bit skeptical.

I can certainly agree that the OP's 12 ga is too much. I shoot a 16ga autoloader that was my late father's

Schatzman

Combo shotguns

Post by Schatzman » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:13 am

NEhomer wrote: I know this braggart dude who is indeed a very good trap and skeet shooter but he was boasting about using his 28ga on pheasants because he just takes head shots. I was a bit skeptical.
I would describe myself as a very good trap shooter, with ATA averages in the 94%+ range. Going from clay targets to live birds is a night and day difference. My Krieghoff is 9lbs. My beretta is 6lbs. Going from shooting 15,000-20,000 shells a year on a 9lbs gun to shooting a 6lbs gun is a disaster for me. I start shooting my 20 gauge in September to try and get ready for bird season. It takes me about a month to adjust. Anyone claiming that they are shooting the heads clean off with no problem switching between the two disciplines, I would be very skeptical too. That isn't to say it can't be done, but I can only think of two people off the top of my head who I would say are excellent in both categories no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:17 am

Very, very good posts Tooling. Things I like about the 20 is that I shoot in in the one ounce loads, not 7/8. Shells are CHEAP and easy to come by. If I want to, I can get the 20 in the 3" 1 1/4 ounce loads, though THE PATTERN SUFFERS. For woodcock and grouse, the 28 is a fine gun. I WON'T use it on pheasant though.

For versatility, nothing will ever top the light 12's. You can get 7/8 oz loads or 1 1/4 ounce loads but the 1 1/8 is a standard. You can therefore by the lighter shells for grouse and woodcock, heavier for pheasant.

I know you're right about the 5# guns Tooling. The ONLY guys I've ever seen shoot them fairly well were the "poke and shoot" shooters and they are deadly with them. I can't follow through to save my life with them though. I've shot them at the skeet club and do horrible with them. I think before ANYONE buys a 5# they should borrow one and SHOOT it, not just shoulder it in a gun store.