Color of clothing

HuntMac

Color of clothing

Post by HuntMac » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Hello all,
Last year was my pups first season in the field. Normally I wear my camo clothing to hunt birds (with an orange cap and some on my bird bag) but I noticed he had a hard time finding me. At times I would have to wave at him and move to direct him to me. I was thinking it was because of my clothing that he had a harder time finding me. So that leads me to my question: what color clothing do you wear in the field to be visible to your pup? Thanks!
- HuntMac

reba

Re: Color of clothing

Post by reba » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:10 am

Not uncommon. They want to be assured you are what they think you are. A little tweet or voice command will help.

Light solid colors are easier to see.

You are at the beginning of your pup learning hand signals.

GOOD STUFF

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:03 am

Grouse and woodcock hunting, I look like a pumpkin.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:40 am

Me too. The dog is not the only one I want to see me....................CJ

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:58 pm

I think as they gain experience, dogs will listen for you. But I wear a shooting shirt with orange patches and my strap vest. But I really don't think orange helps the dog see you.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:19 pm

Clothing and colour of in the shooting field is for other humans . Your dog couldn't care less if you were naked !

HuntMac

Post by HuntMac » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:26 pm

Thanks for the replies! He finds me just fine while we are training so I guess I should just wear those colors :D. I just wear the hunting cloths because they wear tougher than my normal cloths. He is handling well with hand signals and whistle now. I am really pleased with how he is progressing. Now to steady him for the flush and shot.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:11 pm

HuntMac wrote:Thanks for the replies! He finds me just fine while we are training so I guess I should just wear those colors :D. I just wear the hunting cloths because they wear tougher than my normal cloths.
"Normally I wear my camo clothing to hunt birds (with an orange cap and some on my bird bag) but I noticed he had a hard time finding me. At times I would have to wave at him and move to direct him to me. I was thinking it was because of my clothing that he had a harder time finding me."

"Thanks for the replies! He finds me just fine while we are training so I guess I should just wear those colors"

Glad that's sorted .
Down to training now on then. :wink:

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:49 am

also keep in mind that while dogs see color , they don't see the same colors we do.
there eyes developed to see movement not color
dogs cannot see red or orange, the do not have cones in their eyes that detect red.
red to them becomes green because blues and greens and browns are the colors they see best.

so in a sense your dressing in green an brown in the woods hoping your dog sees you.
my first suggestion is to ditch any kind of camo pattern and go with solid colors that you think will contrast against the background the most.
I go solid dark brown over my body core.my hat ,shoulders and arms are solid orange.
my thought is the solid dark brown helps stand out against tan and green of early season .
later in the season the solid orange(green to dogs) stands out against the tan and browns.

DougB

Post by DougB » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:41 am

Blaze orange hat and vest. Blaze orange vest for the dog. There are some crazies out there, and I don't really want to have to shoot back at some one to protect myself or have to track down someone who shot my dog.