Kennel Flooring

Mills51

Kennel Flooring

Post by Mills51 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:41 am

Getting a 5 x 10 Mason Kennel. Due to township restrictions I'm not going to poor a slab. What kennel flooring have you used and would recommend? I've been looking at kennel deck platforms and the perfect kennel floor mats.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Kennel Flooring

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:08 am

I would be sorely tempted to put a floor of 2x2 on 12" centers, then a grid of rabbit wire over those and a deck of the new Coretec over that. It's waterproof and freeze thaw stable. Good Looking too.

Can you use pea gravel? It stinks and is a lot of work but keeps the dog's feet in good shape.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:45 am

Pea Rock. Cleans easily with a bedding fork, Washes away the urine when it rains or with a hose, Toughens feet and just works good ......Cj

Mills51

Post by Mills51 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:50 am

Yes, I could do pea gravel. Only concern was dog digging.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Rubber stall mats. Easy to clean, keeps the dog clean, prevents digging.

I would, however, have the run at least partially shaded. Stall mats are black and might get hot in the sun. I haven't had any issues, but my stall mats are in the shade (on the heavily used path approaching eh back door, not in kennels.)

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:12 pm

what about composite decking material?

I have had pea gravel in the past and it was OK. Had to stay on top of cleaning otherwise the gravel become a gravel/mud/waste combination. Plus, the dogs would end up playing around and sending a lot of the gravel out into the yard.

I also tried the rubber mats and found them perfect for a small area or inside the dog house, but not for the entire kennel floor. The liquids (urine and rain) would pool up if not on a completely flat surface with a slight pitch. THey do prevent digging though, those things are tough!

If I were to build an outdoor kennel, I would probably go with some composite decking boards over the top of pea gravel. Use some sort of hinge system to allow me to get underneath to clean/replace the gravel if need be. A guy I work did something similar and it works out nice. Only downside I could see would be cost, that stuff ain't cheap!

steingre

Post by steingre » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:24 pm

Could you use concrete patio blocks? I've used them for years-even picked them up and moved the kennel once! My town requires a building permit for a poured surface, but nothing if you just place it on the ground; I put them on a two inch bed of limestone road rock.

IANative

Post by IANative » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:00 pm

steingre wrote:Could you use concrete patio blocks? I've used them for years-even picked them up and moved the kennel once! My town requires a building permit for a poured surface, but nothing if you just place it on the ground; I put them on a two inch bed of limestone road rock.
I did something like several years ago for a 15x5 chain link kennel. Formed the floor w/ cross ties, compacted a base of crushed lime and then "paved" the floor w/ 12"x12"x2" patio pavers. Can still wash it like concrete, and move/remove it if you have to. Was still in perfect condition after 9 years when I sold the house.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:22 pm

I needed something temporary while I saved up for a back yard project. It was going to be in the way when I started some retaining walls. I put down some pressure treated sleepers and used some composite fencing slats, not as strong as trex but works if the sleepers are close enough together. Going to re-purpose most of the material for raised garden beds when I build my permanent set up. Gravel is good in one section for them to relieve themselves and keep the pads looking good but don't put down their feed on top of it. I had a lab that was a vacuum and I put down the bowl and he must of dumped it after I put it down. Had an X-ray that had a belly full of gravel. Never a problem with my shorthair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.