I need help in a big way!!

Stump

I need help in a big way!!

Post by Stump » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:54 am

Hi, Names Rich and I have a problem. 2 years ago My pride and joy was stolen out of his kennel in the back of my truck. he was a yellow lab and was one of the finest duck dogs I ever laid eye's on. I trained him myself and we spent many a day together in the blind and on the couch. LOL well since he's been gone I quite duck hunting but I do miss it and I am also drawn to upland hunting. we have grouse ,chucker quail and phesants here and I just cant make up my mind on a breed. I want kind of a do all pointing breed. GWH??DD?? GSH??

Then there is this my whole life growing up in Michigan ive dreamed of owning a english setter but I know that would not make a good duck dog. LOL

Help WHat should I do??

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:02 am

Do your research first and find the breed that attracts you the most. Keep in mind that if your part of Oregon gets very cold than the breed should refelct that. Unless your like me and only hunt ducks untill the water starts freezing. :wink: :wink:

There are other versital breeds to consider other than the GWP/DD, GSP/DK, there are the WPG and the munsterlander.

NAVHDA should have a list of all the brreds that are considered "versital" that might fit the bill for you. Good luck

Blade

Post by Blade » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:16 am

Another versatile breed that you may want to look into is the Pudelpointer. If I were looking for a waterfowl and upland dog I would look at the Pudelpointer 1st and a GWP or DD 2nd. That is just my opinion and what I would look at. There are many breeds that will do what you want. Pick the breed you like and go for it. Good luck and let us know which breed you decide to go with.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:48 pm

There's a lot of fine GWP and DD breeders in your neck of the woods. I do a lot of the same hunting you do including limited duck and geese and I really like the DD. It's really a subjective thing. Like the old saying goes, " A good dogs a good dog, no matter the color or breed".
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

shootist

Post by shootist » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:18 pm

Check out wirehaired pointing griffons. They arent called the supreme gundog for nothing.

Stump

Post by Stump » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:05 pm

shootist wrote:Check out wirehaired pointing griffons. They arent called the supreme gundog for nothing.
Yea I like them a lot. now if I could just find some litters

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:54 am

You could also look at a pointing lab. There are quite a few breeders out there right now, but you will pay a huge premium.

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:07 pm

YEP GRIFFS......

HUTCH

Re: I need help in a big way!!

Post by HUTCH » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:51 pm

Stump wrote: Then there is this my whole life growing up in Michigan ive dreamed of owning a english setter but I know that would not make a good duck dog. LOL

Help WHat should I do??

I don't have the most experience in the world but I know from my experience that a dog doesn't really know what it is supposed to do. It is all in how you raise them. I have a setter and pointer right now and both of them love to retrieve on land and in water just as much or more than any lab or gsp I have owned. I am not saying they will be able to be water fowl experts but if you expose them the same way you would a lab they will do the job. just my opinion.

Brandon

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:05 am

Why not 2 dogs? You can get a versatile breed dog to do duck and upland hunting, but you can also get that Setter you always wanted too. Don't limit yourself to one dog.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

Alex Myrin

Post by Alex Myrin » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:40 pm

I would take a good look at a pointing lab, if you want a dog that will point just as well as any other pointing dog in the upland and also a supreme water dog, and also a great family pet. I own two and I wouldn't ever own any other dog besides them, they can do it all!!

h20fwlkillr

Post by h20fwlkillr » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:12 am

http://www.weims4sale.homestead.com/

Here is a link to an Oregon weim breeder. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've heard good things. I waterfowl hunt often with my weims and usually finish the day with a nice quail hunt.
ImageImageImageImage